+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired student visa while travelling abroad. Inland extension submitted.

bobleujr

Mar 28, 2018
Hi guys,

I am a student in Quebec and I had to travel abroad (to Brazil) to perform the final experiments of my MsC (in Quebec). I left Canada March 15th and my temporary visa + study permit expired on the 23rd. In mid February, I submitted an application to extend visa/permit, so after the 23rd, if I had remained in Canada, I would be under implied status. Now, I am not sure if I re-enter the country with implied status or if I already lost it. My extension application was made inland. As a possible solution, I had applied for an eTA, so then I am more likely to be let into the country for 6 months while I wait for my extension to be issued, since my life is there.

Can someone clarify if what I am assuming is (at least partially) correct? I imagine that I won't be able to perform any study-related activities/work while I wait for the visa. So I have to be very clear with the officer that I will be staying in the country while my visa is under analysis, without pursuing any study/work and if the extension gets refused (what I doubt) I would leave the country.

Does that sound correct?

Thank you a lot for the help!