+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired SIN

Nov 7, 2020
Hello everyone:

I have recently discovered that my SIN which starts with 9, needs to be renewed. I was constantly renewing my study permit until I graduated last year. I got a proper work permit today and as I was organizing all my legal and immigration papers, I came across a paper that has my SIN. It expired on December 2018! It's now 2020 and I have not renewed it. I am so scared of the repercussion. Do you guys know what legal consequence this will cause me? And how dead am I in terms of keeping my job and staying in Canada? I was very new to Canada when I first got my SIN and was very out-of-touch with so many things I needed to do and remember. I've struggled so much with many things and the SIN wasn't something I was thinking about, especially after the Manitoba Health was cancelled for International Students. I'm so worried. Just when I thought I could finally get a breather :(.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You can generally work on an expired SIN while under implied status waiting for your work permit, but I don't know about while you were on a study permit for almost two years.

Reactions: WonderingWanda
Nov 7, 2020
You can generally work on an expired SIN while under implied status waiting for your work permit, but I don't know about while you were on a study permit for almost two years.
Thank you for your response. I am mostly worried for working from October 2019 till this year with an expired SIN. Not sure what's the implication for doing so. I have not had it on top of my head until I was organizing my documents this week that I realized that I have not renewed my SIN.