+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired SIN, do I need to stop working ASAP?

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have expired SIN, and today I went to office to apply for new one, for a certain reason, my application cannot go in their system that's why they suggested that they will do paper application instead, I said ok. They said it will take around 1 month before the new SIN will be mailed to me.

My question, should I stop working right now? Also, do I need to inform my employer about this, won't he kick me out of my work if he get to know that I have expired SIN?

Thanks

a_a_d

Sep 8, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I went to Services Canada to get my SIN renewed after I was 1 year into work with an expired SIN. The guy said that I should have come wayyyy earlier since the SIN is expired but it did not cause any trouble whatsoever. The lady who renewed it simply asked me if I remember when and where was the last time I got my SIN (I did not remember). She then asked me a few personal questions/ security check and I answered them. She proceeded with the issuance of the new SIN.

Further, they said that since the SIN does not change (until you become a Permanent Resident), anybody who references your SIN will continue to do so like normal (CRA for example). But to keep the documentations up to date and to avoid any difficulties later on, you should get in renewed in time.

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So the Number still stays the same, ok.

Also, it is in process. Seems like there will be no trouble, hopefully.

a_a_d

Sep 8, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah. Hopefully. As far as I remember, they said it is your own responsibility to get it updated. Since there was no change in the number, CRA or any other body that required your SIN wont get to know its expired. Even if you renew, they wont be notified as SIN is a highly confidential entity.