+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR

Taraji

Jun 27, 2012
Hi,

My PR expired in April 2012.

In the past 5 years, I spent only 1/2 a day in Canada when I landed in Windsor and took care of the social security card and landing procedures.

I now have a job offer contingent on having permanent residency in Canada. Is there a trick to renew the expired card even though I did not meet the 730 days requirement?

Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can not renew your PR card because you do not meet the residency requirements except if you have some very solid reasons for why you could not live in Canada, say family problems, illness etc.

If you had gone back before your PR card expired, you might have gotten in without question, you could have stayed two years and then applied to renew once you met the requirements again but now that it is expired, it is a lot harder. You could try showing up at the border and see what happens. No guarantees.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Leon has given you great adivce.

If you do manage to successfully enter Canada on your expired PR card, make sure you stay in Canada and live here for a full two years before applying for a new PR card.

Good luck.

Taraji

Jun 27, 2012
Leon and Scylla,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. I went to Toronto few weeks ago for a couple of days. I entered using my US passport card and was not asked any question.

Can I enter the same way and two years later apply for renewal? Would my employer ask me for a PR card and if they do will they have a problem with an expired PR?

These are probably not the smartest question but I thought I would ask.

Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as you have a SIN, you can work. The employer should not ask for your PR card. You may however be asked for it when you try to get a drivers license or a health card. I have no idea how easily they will accept an expired card or your landing papers.

phina1970

Jun 21, 2012
Leon, your point is well taken. Life is not easy without a PR card. I don't have one and I don't have an insurance card or a drivers license. I am staying here for even longer than 2 years, since the 1st 2 yrs of this 5 yr period I was basically "undocumented" . With my ex having destroyed my sin card, documents, all my papers, and it took so long to just get a replacement copy of my landing papers. I wasn't able to work, file retro taxes, or do anything during this time. So now with my sin card finally replaced due to finally recieving my certfied copy of my landing papers, I will be staying another 2 years, "going to dr appts" (paying out of pocket), looking for a job so I can actually work, having credit card, bank acct, etc. -so that I can some how "secure" my application for the pr card and have less chance of denial with some -actual proof. It's not going to be easy without the insurance, and drivers license-thats for sure. But atleast I have a University of Concordia student ID, Leon, when I apply for the pr card, do you think it would be viewed as odd that I don't have the medical insurance card? ( I cannot getone without the pr card) Also, I've read your comments regarding the 1st 5 yrs and every 5 yrs after that-and the 2 yr req'ment. However, when you apply for a pr card, they only look at the last 5 years correct? One more question; they want 2 years of tax assesments witht he pr application. I have 0$ income but my husband-not resident, supports me, would it look bad that I am not working?
I am concerned I may not find a job. esspecially with caring for my twin boys, and the lack of resources-insurance, daycare, etc. I am concerned with the apt lease in my brother inlaws name, my bank acct being recent, no car, no bills in my name except for credit cards-Maybe they won't believe I am actually here..I don't know.

Taraji-I don;t know what your choices or options are, but life here without insurance, drivers license, etc, is no picnic.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
phina1970 said:
Leon, your point is well taken. Life is not easy without a PR card. I don't have one and I don't have an insurance card or a drivers license. I am staying here for even longer than 2 years, since the 1st 2 yrs of this 5 yr period I was basically "undocumented" . With my ex having destroyed my sin card, documents, all my papers, and it took so long to just get a replacement copy of my landing papers. I wasn't able to work, file retro taxes, or do anything during this time. So now with my sin card finally replaced due to finally recieving my certfied copy of my landing papers, I will be staying another 2 years, "going to dr appts" (paying out of pocket), looking for a job so I can actually work, having credit card, bank acct, etc. -so that I can some how "secure" my application for the pr card and have less chance of denial with some -actual proof. It's not going to be easy without the insurance, and drivers license-thats for sure. But atleast I have a University of Concordia student ID, Leon, when I apply for the pr card, do you think it would be viewed as odd that I don't have the medical insurance card? ( I cannot getone without the pr card) Also, I've read your comments regarding the 1st 5 yrs and every 5 yrs after that-and the 2 yr req'ment. However, when you apply for a pr card, they only look at the last 5 years correct? One more question; they want 2 years of tax assesments witht he pr application. I have 0$ income but my husband-not resident, supports me, would it look bad that I am not working?
I am concerned I may not find a job. esspecially with caring for my twin boys, and the lack of resources-insurance, daycare, etc. I am concerned with the apt lease in my brother inlaws name, my bank acct being recent, no car, no bills in my name except for credit cards-Maybe they won't believe I am actually here..I don't know.

Taraji-I don;t know what your choices or options are, but life here without insurance, drivers license, etc, is no picnic.
They say 2 years of taxes or other evidence so if you are not working, you have to go with the other evidence. Immigration will not ask if you have a health card. It is not their business to interfere in that. In order to prove that you have stayed in Canada, take care of your utility bills what little you have. Sure most of the utilities are in the name of your brother in law but I am sure you have a cell phone that you use and a bank account. You can show bank statements that you have been using your bank card in Canada to shop and withdraw money. You can show that even if you did not have an income, your husband has been transferring money to your account.

phina1970

Jun 21, 2012
I shop at many grocery stores that do not take interact, i withdraw once a money a few hundred dollars for expenses and my husband gives me money via a check every month, which I deposit into my bank acct. I am sure i can get copies of these checks post deposited. I have argued withmy brother inlaw continuously on this, that I would like to pay for some utilties inmy name, but he sees me as his guest till this is sorted out and won't hear of it. I will discuss with him again. My cell phone for convenience, is a USA number-on a Canadian plan. It's in my husbands name and goes to his address to pay. I can sign up for fido, for local cellphone service, but i don't see the pointin having 2 cell phones, esspecially since the american cell phone allows for canada to be part of the area, and allows for all kinds of texting and data. For agencies i always give my brother in law's cell# (no phone line in apt), so there would be no confusion. Leon, yes, I do travel to boston 1 x per 2 months in casemy husband cannot come via my us passport inmy new married name. So I donnot deal with "drama" at the border withmy children in tow. there is no stamping just some scanning of the passports. I see lots of posts regarding stamps on passport. When i submistted application for landing papers replacement I just included a photo copy of my original passport I immigrated to Canada on. I got this U.S. passport in 2008 cause my old one expired in 2007. No I am not having the officer stamp my passport going into canada, he just stamps it. I am going to work, no matter how humble the job, and continue on with my parttime classes at concordia. and then apply. Go to the Dr, appts more, file taxes with job income next year and after . Just it's so upsetting that I will be lving like this for another 2 years-Not easy at all. I have never had apar card before, only eason I am applying for one is to get the insurance and license. I am not applying for the pr card for the intention it is for-travel. Wonder how immigration canada views pr residents from visa expemt countries-like myself. Hopefully A job, tax filings, and Dr's letter, bankacct, etc will suffice, when the time comes.

black crow

Nov 21, 2010
i was reading someowhere that with an expired PR card, u can go for renewal of health card provided that it should not be more than 5 years old.
Leon, as much as i can inferr from this discussion, it is difficult to get a driving licence and health card with an expired PR card. is that ur opinion.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
black crow said:
i was reading someowhere that with an expired PR card, u can go for renewal of health card provided that it should not be more than 5 years old.
Leon, as much as i can inferr from this discussion, it is difficult to get a driving licence and health card with an expired PR card. is that ur opinion.
I am not sure that all provinces ask for a valid PR card before you can get a health card but that seems to be the case in Quebec anyway. I can imagine many would ask for it but if some would be willing to accept landing documents instead is another question. Same with the drivers license except in Ontario where it should be easier to get a drivers license as apparently they do not require you to be a resident to get a license there.