+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR moving back to Canada

TJ2018

Oct 19, 2018
My wife's Permanent Resident card expired a few years ago due to me having had cancer and treating it in New York rather than in Canada. She has a potential job offer in Ottawa and we were wondering what do we have to do to renew the card and how should she enter Canada? I am a Canadian Citizen and so are our 2 children. She does have her SIN card. Can she work?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She can renew the card right now if she remained with you in NY and technically if you moved there for your job (not always followed). Yes she can work. If she is from a visa exempt country it will be easy to get into Canada. If not you'll have to go by land in a private car.

TJ2018

Oct 19, 2018
I thought you had to be living on Canada in order to renew?

Also, her citizenship is American. Does that make it easier?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
To renew her pr card, she has to apply within Canada. What canuck78 is saying is that she is exempt from RO because she has been with you in the US and can apply for renewal immediately on return. Her citizenship has no relevance on the renewal.

TJ2018

Oct 19, 2018
Can she apply for re entry while she is working after we get all our stuff moved over? And then drive back across the border?

Employers don't need to ask for her PR card because she has a SIN correct?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can she apply for re entry while she is working after we get all our stuff moved over? And then drive back across the border?

Employers don't need to ask for her PR card because she has a SIN correct?
Yes. She could be reported at the border so bring paperwork indicating that she has been living with her citizen husband. As a US citizen she can actually fly with no problem.

TJ2018

Oct 19, 2018
I'm sorry what do you mean by reported? Detained and arrested?

So she can fly because she is a US citizen. I thought only private vehicles were allowed.

Thanks for all your help

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm sorry what do you mean by reported? Detained and arrested?

So she can fly because she is a US citizen. I thought only private vehicles were allowed.

Thanks for all your help
No, not detained or arrested. If CBSA suspects a PR entering Canada does not meet the RO, they can report them. The person must then appeal and prove that they meet the RO or their PR status is revoked. Your wife shouldn't have any issue as long as she can show that she was with you, her Canadian spouse.

Americans are the only ones who are both eTA-exempt and TRV-exempt, so they can fly to Canada on the strength of just their passports. She should not mention her PR status to the airline.

TJ2018

Oct 19, 2018
Ah ok. So then once we have everything settled then we apply for the reentry permit, correct?

TJ2018

Oct 19, 2018
Hmm no I mean the PR travel document for returning to Canada. It looks like she needs that if she returns by any other mode if transportation besides private vehicle. Or is that what you mean by she is exempt because she's American?

When we apply for renewal of her PR card, will she have to leave Canada and then reenter?

Sorry for all the questions

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hmm no I mean the PR travel document for returning to Canada. It looks like she needs that if she returns by any other mode if transportation besides private vehicle. Or is that what you mean by she is exempt because she's American?

When we apply for renewal of her PR card, will she have to leave Canada and then reenter?

That is what I meant about Americans. She doesn't need a PRTD.

No.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You never lose your PR status unless it is taken away. PR are always allowed to enter Canada. A PR card is just a travel document. Even if your wife was reported for not having met her RO she would be let in. When you are identified st the POE as not having met your RO you are given the chance to explain why. If your wife had proof that she had been living with her Canadian spouse she would likely be let through and the reporting wouldn't happen. Because she is a US citizen she can just enter. Most of the questions you see on this forum are from people who are not from a visa exempt country. Even people from a visa exempt country would have to land in the US and come through by land so being an American makes your life much easier. When in Canada being a US citizen becomes much more annoying because you are still forced to pay US taxes.