+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR (citizenship application in process)

msamiullah

Star Member
May 31, 2013
Hi guys,
My PR expired in Sep of 2018. I applied for citizenship and had my test in Oct. During interview the officer told me that my FBI clearance is still outstanding so he cannot tell when exactly I will receive the oath ceremony invite. I have to go to my home country in Dec of this year. I heard if you cross the border by road through US you can do that with expired PR. I have couple of questions here:
1- Is that right can I enter Canada by road through with expired PR ?
2- Will that have any negative effect on my citizenship application ?

thanks in advance

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi guys,
My PR expired in Sep of 2018. I applied for citizenship and had my test in Oct. During interview the officer told me that my FBI clearance is still outstanding so he cannot tell when exactly I will receive the oath ceremony invite. I have to go to my home country in Dec of this year. I heard if you cross the border by road through US you can do that with expired PR. I have couple of questions here:
1- Is that right can I enter Canada by road through with expired PR ?
2- Will that have any negative effect on my citizenship application ?

thanks in advance
1. Yes
2. No

Quink

Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
AOR Received.
30-04-2015 (EP and UCI)
Med's Request
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015 (ECAS updated 20-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
IP update 26-8-2015, DM 14-9-2015, READY FOR VISA EMAIL 21-9-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015 (PR Card received 13-01-2016)
Remember that your PR hasn't expired, just your PR card - you're still a permanent resident after the card expires, until such time as you apply to revoke the status, are found to not meet the residency requirement, or become a citizen. You can't automatically lose PR status - one of those three things has to happen for anything to change.

I know that's probably not exactly what you were asking (and that you most likely understand this), but I think a lot of people read these forums and get worried about their PR expiring when they see questions worded like this.

Reactions: YVR123

msamiullah

Star Member
May 31, 2013
Remember that your PR hasn't expired, just your PR card - you're still a permanent resident after the card expires, until such time as you apply to revoke the status, are found to not meet the residency requirement, or become a citizen. You can't automatically lose PR status - one of those three things has to happen for anything to change.

I know that's probably not exactly what you were asking (and that you most likely understand this), but I think a lot of people read these forums and get worried about their PR expiring when they see questions worded like this.
thanks for your message. But i guess they wont let me board the plane with an expired PR card right ? So I was thinking to drive to US and get a flight to my home country and fly back to US and then drive to Canada with landing paper. Would that be OK ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
But i guess they wont let me board the plane with an expired PR card right ? So I was thinking to drive to US and get a flight to my home country and fly back to US and then drive to Canada with landing paper. Would that be OK ?
As @zardoz posted above, YES, this is OK.

And, correct, with few exceptions (such as for U.S. citizens), a PR must show either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document to board a flight destined for Canada. And, of course, you remain a PR until the day you take the oath of citizenship (or otherwise lose PR status for inadmissibility, which should have no relevance to you).