+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR Card

C.Hauser

Feb 28, 2021
Hi Everyone!
First time posting to this amazing website.
Me: 34 year old male
Citizenship: USA

Long story short I applied and received a PR card in 2013 (I landed in Montreal, Quebec November 2013). I was moving there to live with my then fiance but the relationship didn't last.

I soon returned home to the USA. I never lived in Canada for 5 years (not even on or off) and allowed my PR Card to expire in 2018.

I now am married with a 2.5yr old daughter and would like to see if it's possible to immigrate to Canada again, this time settling in Alberta.

Question: Any thoughts about the odds of being able to renew a PR card that is 3 yrs expired or should I simply try reapplying for a whole new PR card and going through the process? I have also since changed my last name (I took my wife's name) so there's that extra layer of confusion to the process :p

Any and all thoughts/ideas/hard truths are welcome.

Thanks everyone! Really excited I found this forum!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
So, the first issue will be entering Canada without being reported for residency obligation. If you manage to get past that, second issue will be sponsoring your spouse/child if you aren’t in compliance with RO....that’ll take 2 years before you could apply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone!

Long story short I applied and received a PR card in 2013 (I landed in Montreal, Quebec November 2013). I was moving there to live with my then fiance but the relationship didn't last.

I soon returned home to the USA. I never lived in Canada for 5 years (not even on or off) and allowed my PR Card to expire in 2018.

I now am married with a 2.5yr old daughter and would like to see if it's possible to immigrate to Canada again, this time settling in Alberta.

Question: Any thoughts about the odds of being able to renew a PR card that is 3 yrs expired or should I simply try reapplying for a whole new PR card and going through the process? I have also since changed my last name (I took my wife's name) so there's that extra layer of confusion to the process :p

Yeah - there are complexities with trying to keep your current PR status (as explained above). If you want to keep your current status you would need to enter Canada without being reported and then live in Canada for two years before your can sponsor your spouse and child for PR.

IMO - your best bet if you don't want to be separated from your family is to renounce your PR status and then reapply again from scratch.

I would look into this sooner rather than later since you're already on the wrong side of things as your age goes and will continue to lose points the older you get. Start by investigating the Express Entry program. You want to score 470+ points to have a good chance of being selected.

Good luck.

Reactions: C.Hauser

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone!

Have you looked to see if you would qualify for PR if you applied for express entry?

C.Hauser

Feb 28, 2021
Have you looked to see if you would qualify for PR if you applied for express entry?
Hi there!

So I did the assessment for Campbell Cohen but I didn't get a response yet (did it on Sunday). Maybe it takes a while.

Would it count as double dipping if I applied for a PR when I theoretically have one? Because that would be wonderful if I could! BTW anyone know if Alberta is accepting residents? That's the province we would truly love to live in. My wife is an equsterian so horses are a big part of our lives.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there!

So I did the assessment for Campbell Cohen but I didn't get a response yet (did it on Sunday). Maybe it takes a while.

Would it count as double dipping if I applied for a PR when I theoretically have one? Because that would be wonderful if I could! BTW anyone know if Alberta is accepting residents? That's the province we would truly love to live in. My wife is an equsterian so horses are a big part of our lives.
You can't apply for PR while you still hold PR status. You need to renounce your PR status first before you can apply for PR again.

You can calculate your estimated Express Entry score yourself using IRCC's online tool. It takes only a few minutes and returns results immediately. See link: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

I'm not sure what you mean by Alberta accepting residents. If you are asking about Alberta's PNP program, they are accepting applicants but are only considering individuals at this time who are working and living in the province.

C.Hauser

Feb 28, 2021
Yeah - there are complexities with trying to keep your current PR status (as explained above). If you want to keep your current status you would need to enter Canada without being reported and then live in Canada for two years before your can sponsor your spouse and child for PR.

IMO - your best bet if you don't want to be separated from your family is to renounce your PR status and then reapply again from scratch.

I would look into this sooner rather than later since you're already on the wrong side of things as your age goes and will continue to lose points the older you get. Start by investigating the Express Entry program. You want to score 470+ points to have a good chance of being selected.

Good luck.
Hi,
Yes that's a great observation. I mean 34 isn't old but it's true, it does add and fast!

You're the second person to recommend the Express Entry program, so I think I should definitely look into it. My wife and I both have Master's degrees and I am fluent in French with only one child and some savings but no job offers yet. I mean, would a company really consider an American without a PR card over a Canadian who can start right away without any red tape? If I applied would I be wasting perspective employers time?

Thanks again!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
Yes that's a great observation. I mean 34 isn't old but it's true, it does add and fast!

You're the second person to recommend the Express Entry program, so I think I should definitely look into it. My wife and I both have Master's degrees and I am fluent in French with only one child and some savings but no job offers yet. I mean, would a company really consider an American without a PR card over a Canadian who can start right away without any red tape? If I applied would I be wasting perspective employers time?

Thanks again!!
Job offers are extremely hard to secure. The employer has to go through something called the LMIA process which takes months with no guarantee of approval and is expensive / time consuming. As part of the process they need to prove no Canadian could be hired for the role.

Best to assume you won't be able to secure a job offer and see if you can get enough points through Express Entry based on the qualifications you have now. Again, you're ideally aiming for 470+ points.

My comments around your age are based on how the points system works under Express Entry. Once you hit your 30's, you start losing points each year, making it more difficult to be selected over other applicants.

C.Hauser

Feb 28, 2021
You can't apply for PR while you still hold PR status. You need to renounce your PR status first before you can apply for PR again.

You can calculate your estimated Express Entry score yourself using IRCC's online tool. It takes only a few minutes and returns results immediately. See link: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

I'm not sure what you mean by Alberta accepting residents. If you are asking about Alberta's PNP program, they are accepting applicants but are only considering individuals at this time who are working and living in the province.
Good Morning,

Thanks so much for your prompt and informative reply!

I meant if Alberta was accepting residents because that's where we want to live. I actually got my PR Card through PNP Quebec. I had my interview at their seasonal office at Rockefeller in NYC.

Thanks so much for the link! How does one renounce their PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good Morning,

Thanks so much for your prompt and informative reply!

I meant if Alberta was accepting residents because that's where we want to live. I actually got my PR Card through PNP Quebec. I had my interview at their seasonal office at Rockefeller in NYC.

Thanks so much for the link! How does one renounce their PR?
Unfortunately Alberta is only selecting individuals working and living in the province at this time.

Link to renouncing PR status:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5781ETOC.asp

C.Hauser

Feb 28, 2021
Job offers are extremely hard to secure. The employer has to go through something called the LMIA process which takes months with no guarantee of approval and is expensive / time consuming. As part of the process they need to prove no Canadian could be hired for the role.

Best to assume you won't be able to secure a job offer and see if you can get enough points through Express Entry based on the qualifications you have now. Again, you're ideally aiming for 470+ points.

My comments around your age are based on how the points system works under Express Entry. Once you hit your 30's, you start losing points each year, making it more difficult to be selected over other applicants.
Haha I knew what you mean about age. I remember when I applied 10 years ago, that's where I got the most points! Speaking of points, is it me or was the point system different then? I remember I had to hit 21 or 24 points or something, now it's 470? I'm sure we could hit all of those.

I actually had to apply twice for my original PR status. The first one I did "on my own" and failed but the second one I did it through PNP Quebec and that's how I got in (no my ex fiance did not help and that's the way I wanted it). I lost points because I was less experienced then and I only had a B.A at the time but PNP made all the difference.

LMIA sounds like it would be a bother to an employer. I know I have an MBA but there are many Canadians who have them and they can totoally do what I can do. Thanks for the hard truth. Really important to know and embrace them especially in the beginning.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Haha I knew what you mean about age. I remember when I applied 10 years ago, that's where I got the most points! Speaking of points, is it me or was the point system different then? I remember I had to hit 21 or 24 points or something, now it's 470? I'm sure we could hit all of those.

I actually had to apply twice for my original PR status. The first one I did "on my own" and failed but the second one I did it through PNP Quebec and that's how I got in (no my ex fiance did not help and that's the way I wanted it). I lost points because I was less experienced then and I only had a B.A at the time but PNP made all the difference.

LMIA sounds like it would be a bother to an employer. I know I have an MBA but there are many Canadians who have them and they can totoally do what I can do. Thanks for the hard truth. Really important to know and embrace them especially in the beginning.
Yes - the points system was different 10 years ago. IRCC online calculator is your best bet for figuring out where you stand now for Express Entry.

C.Hauser

Feb 28, 2021
Unfortunately Alberta is only selecting individuals working and living in the province at this time.

Link to renouncing PR status:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5781ETOC.asp
Brilliant!

Thanks so much and that's ok about Alberta PNP. If that's the law then that's the law. I'm totally ok with doing it correctly and waiting my own turn.

Thanks so much for the link!

BTW, do you recommend using a lawyer? If so, on average, how much might we be talking about? (also I understand that lawyers prices vary, etc. I'm talking ballpark).

Can I ask you a question? You don't have to answer if you do not wish, I understand, but could you share how you did it? Got your PR I mean.

Thanks again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Recommend you read this in detail. There are requirements now that didn't exist when you originally applied like mandatory language tests and getting your education evaluated. You have to do these things before you can even apply.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

C.Hauser

Feb 28, 2021
Recommend you read this in detail. There are requirements now that didn't exist when you originally applied like mandatory language tests and getting your education evaluated. You have to do these things before you can even apply.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html
I'll definitely look into this. I did see the language requirements have changed which is ok. Just an extra step but that's ok.