+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card renewal after reaching 730 days compliance

Feb 16, 2021
Hi,

I am filling out the PR renewal form. I will reach 730 days compliance in a couple of weeks.

I am filling out the table to list out the locations during my absence from physically living in Canada..I have one question..what do I use as a reason for absence while I was residing in my country of origin..any suggestion.

I have been away from Canada less than 1095 days in the last 5 years…will also appreciate if I can have any further suggestion(s) regarding filling out the PR card renewal form.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I am filling out the PR renewal form. I will reach 730 days compliance in a couple of weeks.

I am filling out the table to list out the locations during my absence from physically living in Canada..I have one question..what do I use as a reason for absence while I was residing in my country of origin..any suggestion.

I have been away from Canada less than 1095 days in the last 5 years…will also appreciate if I can have any further suggestion(s) regarding filling out the PR card renewal form.
You should be honest about the reason why you were absent. If you were outside of Canada working, then I would say that.

Can you wait a bit longer before you submit the application? If you apply with only 730 days or just a bit above 730 days, then there's a much higher chance your application will go through secondary review and take much longer to process. Can you wait until you have over 800 days?

Feb 16, 2021
@scylla

thanks for your response.

as I mentioned, I was living on my country of origin..I was working there too before I could transition back to Canada (I lived in Canada for some time in 2016 with not much luck with employment) so I can mention that.

I have been living here since 2019..and filed taxes for 2019 and 2020 accordingly.

I do want to apply for the renewal within a couple of weeks..I will have around 750 days..you suggested doing it around 800 days..do you know what sort of secondary review it might go through..will they ask for more documents..if so what sort of documents you recon?
Or do you foresee any further complications?
TIA

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla

thanks for your response.

as I mentioned, I was living on my country of origin..I was working there too before I could transition back to Canada (I lived in Canada for some time in 2016 with not much luck with employment) so I can mention that.

I have been living here since 2019..and filed taxes for 2019 and 2020 accordingly.

I do want to apply for the renewal within a couple of weeks..I will have around 750 days..you suggested doing it around 800 days..do you know what sort of secondary review it might go through..will they ask for more documents..if so what sort of documents you recon?
Or do you foresee any further complications?
TIA
IRCC may ask for further documents to prove you were in Canada on the days you said you were. If you've been in Canada since 2019, then my guess is that you'll be able to provide additional evidence easily.

The main issue with secondary review is that this can mean your PR card takes much longer to renew. You may be better off waiting another two months to get your residency days above 800 vs. applying with only 750. In other words, if you apply with 750 days and end up in secondary review, the resulting delay may be much longer than two months.

Anyway - hard to say what you should do and ultimately your choice.

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
IRCC may ask for further documents to prove you were in Canada on the days you said you were. If you've been in Canada since 2019, then my guess is that you'll be able to provide additional evidence easily.

The main issue with secondary review is that this can mean your PR card takes much longer to renew. You may be better off waiting another two months to get your residency days above 800 vs. applying with only 750. In other words, if you apply with 750 days and end up in secondary review, the resulting delay may be much longer than two months.

Anyway - hard to say what you should do and ultimately your choice.
Is is advisable to submit CBSA entry exit record, which can be obtained with ATIP request from CBSA, to prove the days spent in Canada with application upfront?

Thanks

jasmaansidhu

Jul 10, 2021
You should be honest about the reason why you were absent. If you were outside of Canada working, then I would say that.

Can you wait a bit longer before you submit the application? If you apply with only 730 days or just a bit above 730 days, then there's a much higher chance your application will go through secondary review and take much longer to process. Can you wait until you have over 800 days?
I’m