+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card re-entry by land

Vancouver2021

Dec 1, 2021
Hi all!
I tried to search for a post similar to mine but wasn’t able to get anything exact.

My PR card expired in Oct of this year. I applied for a renewal and the documents arrived there August 20th. I have a short 24 hour trip planned to Portland on January 3rd which was planned before I realized how long receiving my PR card would take. I am now obviously thinking it will not come in time especially with the holidays approaching. I initially thought I would have to cancel my trip if my card doesn’t come in time, but after researching, I’ve read that if entering back through private vehicle I will not need my PR card. I live in Vancouver so I will be driving down.
Does anyone have any experience with this? I know my status is definitely valid as I’ve been living in Canada for over 20 years.
I will note that this trip is not essential at all and it is purely for recreation.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On your way back to Canada, you can just show your expired PR card or landing paper to the CBSA officer and should be able verify your status.

Reactions: scylla

Vancouver2021

Dec 1, 2021
On your way back to Canada, you can just show your expired PR card or landing paper to the CBSA officer and should be able verify your status.
Thank you for your reply!
I will bring both to be safe. Do you know if I will have any issues crossing into US without the card?

Reactions: vjdua