+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR Card- PRTD timing from Paris office

Discussion in 'Permanent Residency Obligations' started by mrob11, Aug 5, 2019.

  1. Good day all,

    I'm a Canadian citizen. My common-law wife was granted her permanent residency status Canada in February 2014. We lived in Canada until May 2015, when we moved to Spain (her home country and we went for a new job for me). Until now we’ve been in Spain.

    We have travels planned to Canada on August 17th from Barcelona, Spain…. And (stupid us) we just realized that her PR card expired on April 5, 2019.

    I understand our options are:
    1. Submit documents for a PRTD - I’m thinking the timing on this will be tight/almost impossible, given I’ll need at least a day to dig up the supporting proof/documents necessary + processing in Paris in about 1 week. Anyone know how long Paris takes in processing these?
    2. Submit to Renounce her PR and then get an electronic travel authorization (tourist entry).- This isn’t the biggest deal for us in the short/medium-term, as we plan on staying in Spain for now. However, it kind of kills me that all our work in submitting 1000 documents + the cost of the initial application are basically gone and we're back to 0 if we move back to Canada.
    Am I reading this situation right, or does anyone have any words of advice? Thank-You in advance!
  2. Would try for the PRTD. The other option is to go through the US but I guess you have already booked your tickets.
  3. It generally takes longer than 12 days for a PR renunciation to be processed, so also not a feasible option.

    Change your flights to the US and enter Canada at a land border.

Share This Page