+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card ( My spouse is a Canadian Citizen)

Canada_YAS

Dec 26, 2014
Hello

At first, I planed to apply for PR card renewal in January 1st, 2015 , but I found out I would not meet the residency obligation by then ( I was in Canada about 600 days in the last 5 years)
I can not stay in Canada . I will return to my country next month and My PR card will be expired in April 2015 when I am out of Canada.
My spouse is a Canadian citizen but I was not accompanying her outside of Canada ( I am in my country for my job while my spouse live here in Canada) , Therefore I can not use the option of accompanying a Canadian citizen abroad for fulfilling the residency obligation

My Question is:

Considering my spouse is a Canadian citizen, What will happen if my PR card get expired when I am out of Canada?
What can I do after that?

Thank You

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada_YAS said:
My Question is:

Considering my spouse is a Canadian citizen, What will happen if my PR card get expired when I am out of Canada?
What can I do after that?

Thank You
When your PR card expires, nothing really happens until you try to enter Canada.

If you are visa exempt, you can enter Canada without applying for anything. You show your passport for the flight and when you arrive in Canada, you can show your expired PR card. You should prepare for some questions about why you haven't renewed your PR card and they could possibly offer you to renounce your PR or report you for not meeting the residency requirements which would cause you to lose your PR at a later date.

If you are not visa exempt but have a visa to the US, you can enter Canada from the US in a rental car, private car or on foot, again without applying for anything. Just show your passport and expired card as you enter. You may get reported etc.

If you are not visa exempt and can not enter from the US, you would need to apply for a PR travel document in order to get back to Canada, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp
Not meeting the RO and having no H&C grounds for why you could not, your travel document would be refused and you would lose your PR. After losing your PR, you would be able to apply for a visit visa.

If it is your wish to get PR again, your spouse can sponsor you for PR again after you have lost your PR. However, there is not much point in that if you continue to work outside Canada because you will end up being in breach of the RO again at some point and lose your new PR again.

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
Leon said:
However, there is not much point in that if you continue to work outside Canada because you will end up being in breach of the RO again at some point and lose your new PR again.
Good point.