+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card for 3 years. Pls help

Patricia27

May 13, 2013
Hi, I got my PR card in 2005 and have stayed only in canada for about a total of 6 weeks. I had to return to my home country to finish my studies because we can't afford school in canada. I was only 13 then, and my mom is the only one working for us. I can't even afford a school trip back then. I am now a college graduate and I would want to return to Canada, but my PR expired in 2010 and I have not met my residency obligation. I am now 20 years old. I was accompanied by my father who maintained his PR status by going back and forth in Canada (He is not working for any Canadian business or Canadian government). I just want to know if I lost my PR status already and what should I do? Thank you in advance for your response!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You will need to follow the instructions at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

You may also wish to read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf as it's relevant to your situation.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Could not afford school in Canada? As far as I know, school in Canada is free when you are 13 years old.

In any case, you are in the situation of having been removed from Canada as a minor by your parents and wishing to return first chance after becoming an adult. That gives you a pretty strong case for a travel document but you should not wait too long to apply for it, the sooner you do it, the better is your chance.

If you get the travel document and they are usually valid for 6 months, you should return to Canada before it expires. This is essential because if you apply for a travel document and then don't go, you can see immigration feels like you are playing games and they will not be so quick to give you another one.

Once you are in Canada, you should stay for at least 2 years without leaving. This will put your PR status back in good standing as you will meet the residency requirements again.

An option other than applying for a travel document would be if you are visa exempt that you could simply go to Canada and see what happens. If they let you enter without reporting you for not meeting the residency requirements, you can stay for 2 years and then renew your PR card.

Patricia27

May 13, 2013
Leon said:
Could not afford school in Canada? As far as I know, school in Canada is free when you are 13 years old.

In any case, you are in the situation of having been removed from Canada as a minor by your parents and wishing to return first chance after becoming an adult. That gives you a pretty strong case for a travel document but you should not wait too long to apply for it, the sooner you do it, the better is your chance.

If you get the travel document and they are usually valid for 6 months, you should return to Canada before it expires. This is essential because if you apply for a travel document and then don't go, you can see immigration feels like you are playing games and they will not be so quick to give you another one.

Once you are in Canada, you should stay for at least 2 years without leaving. This will put your PR status back in good standing as you will meet the residency requirements again.

An option other than applying for a travel document would be if you are visa exempt that you could simply go to Canada and see what happens. If they let you enter without reporting you for not meeting the residency requirements, you can stay for 2 years and then renew your PR card.

Thank you so much! Just to make it clear, i could apply for a travel document now even if i did not meet the residency obligation? Is being removed as a minor, a human and compassionate reason? Thank you again!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, being removed as a minor is a H&C reason because you were not able to make the decision to live in Canada yourself. Returning first chance after becoming an adult is also an issue. If you wait until you are say 30, they will say hey, you could have returned 10 years ago so you are not returning first chance. However, you are wanting to do it at 20, just having completed college so you have a pretty good case.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can do it on your own but make sure you mention that you were removed as a minor by your parents, that you wish to live in Canada and that you are applying first chance after reaching the age of majority. Write why it is important for you to get this chance and why you want to settle in Canada.

Patricia27

May 13, 2013
Thank you Leon! Just one last question, in the question 14. Your activities and employment, details what I have been doing for the past 5 years. Does that mean what I am doing in my home country? Since I have been here for the past five years? Or does it apply to what I have been doing in Canada for the past five years, which mean I have to put N/A because I was not in Canada. Sorry, I'm a little bit confused.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Patricia27 said:
Thank you Leon! Just one last question, in the question 14. Your activities and employment, details what I have been doing for the past 5 years. Does that mean what I am doing in my home country? Since I have been here for the past five years? Or does it apply to what I have been doing in Canada for the past five years, which mean I have to put N/A because I was not in Canada. Sorry, I'm a little bit confused.
It means what it says. The past 5 years counting backwards from today. What have you been doing.

Patricia27

May 13, 2013
Hi. I have finally applied for a travel document. After a week there has been a response from the canadian embassy asking for more supporting documents. I.e. parents' employment history and immediate family information form. What does that mean? I am scared that my TD will be refused.

Patricia27

May 13, 2013
It said that failure to comply or submit this documents will mean refusal of my application. Why would they want to know my family background?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
A number of possibilities spring to mind.

A) they may be needing the extra information in support of the H&C aspect.
B) they may be suspicious of your parents status, if they are still registered as PR.
C) you may have missed the request for the information in the original TD application.

Patricia27

May 13, 2013
Oh okay. Thank you for that. Should I attach their record of landing and pr cards as well, and or passport stamps? My mother is already a citizen, my father is a PR. Is there a big chance that they will refuse it?