Expired PR card - did not fulfill residency requirement

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LSP said:
Hi Leon,

The reason we want citizenship is to live in Canada. But the issue is, when Canada cannot have jobs that would give us income to stay there, we would need to make arrangements before we settle down for good in Canada.

With restrictions in time it becomes difficult or even impossible to live in Canada.

If citizens have to depend on international income to live in Canada, we will need to travel often.

If there are possibilities to invest in Canada and get citizenship as investor, then that would be good for many. Then there will not be need to travel abroad as often.

The investor class of immigration is closed at present. correct?
I know people don't have to travel often while depending on international income. There are many options one can think of in terms of investment locally and world-wide. Some people make money by selling/buying stocks, mutual funds, currency and bonds via the internet round the clock. Others might make money in real estate and business in both Canada and elsewhere. I think the hottest real estate locally is Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary. In short, Canada has lots of investment opportunities.

LSP said:
Once we invest how can we think of moving out of the country? The main reason to invest is to make our stay in the country secure and continuous.
Once you invest in Canada, you can always sell your holdings and move out of the country. Or you can keep your holding, hire someone to look after while you move out of the country. Just as you invest in other free market economies in the world. :D

LSP

Feb 21, 2013
Hi Steaky,

We are discussing investments that are required to get a PR status not everything. In particular the category of investors instead of skilled labor category.

If you have invested in businesses you would know that it is not easy to sell and give to someone else to run the business. there are various risks involved, which may not be advisable to take. If business is so easy everyone would have opted for that line. Business people have a unique type of character, which helps them to take risks and optimistic outlook helps them to wait for years to reach a level of profit making with the business.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LSP said:
Hi Steaky,

We are discussing investments that are required to get a PR status not everything. In particular the category of investors instead of skilled labor category.

If you have invested in businesses you would know that it is not easy to sell and give to someone else to run the business. there are various risks involved, which may not be advisable to take. If business is so easy everyone would have opted for that line. Business people have a unique type of character, which helps them to take risks and optimistic outlook helps them to wait for years to reach a level of profit making with the business.
With regards to investment required to get PR status, immigration to the province of SK in Canada for farming operation investment is still available:

http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/farmer

While it might not be easy to hire qualified individuals to help one manage an operation while the owner lives somewhere else, it is still a possibility. But for maintaining PR status, you would need to follow the rules set by CIC.

Scylla is right. Canada's citizenship isn't for sale. You have to show a commitment to Canada and earn it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many other PNP's also have investor classes but in most cases they require you to open a business in the province and run it for 2-3 years, maybe even create a job. If you had applied through that, you would have to stay in Canada in order to do that and your husband would not be able to stay in the UAE where he makes a lot more money. Would you have preferred that?

Should Canada simply change the PR requirements again so that you must stay in Canada 6 months out of every 12? Canada is the most liberal of countries when it comes to retaining your PR in spite of long absences and yet people complain about it. Many countries will cancel your PR if you are gone for more than 6 months at a time.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LSP said:
Thank you. I appreciate your advise. Now it is 6 months since i am visiting outside canada. I stayed there and fulfilled all the time required plus stayed for 14 months more after my citizenship application was accepted. Actually, I had to go out of the country for wellness treatment to India. This takes 3 to 6 months. Now I will return and hope there will be no problems for the test and oath. I think the very fact that my husband and i stayed away from each other, for more than 4 years, should prove our desire to become canadian citizens.

If Canada cannot sustain well educated and affording candidates who fulfil the time required as per citizenship application, and they are trying to put us in difficult situations, because of their inablility to process application on time or quickly, I think there will be only refugees left to populate canada. Maybe there will come a time when people would prefer not to live in refugee land.
1. In the eyes of CIC your family separation was out of choice - the reality is that it was a financial decision. After all its human nature what with the tax free incomes in UAE...this doesn't cut it for CIC...their view is many immigrants live and work in Canada why should you not do the same?

2. The original FSW has been found wanting because it does not match up the applicant with the actual job market e.g a Mechanical Engineer would get enough points but not a welder whereas in the job market there is a shortage of welders but a surplus of Mechanical Engineers (many of them with Canadian education and experience). CIC have changed immigration employment streams to include PNP, CEC as well as amending the FSW to better match candidates with the needs of the job market.

3. Canada will always have a refugee stream but you are assuming that all these refugees are no good to Canada...some of them are highly skilled. The refugee stream is significantly smaller than the family and economic immigration streams.

4. The Citizenship application timeline is 23 months for 80% of routine applications. Most applications with no issues are actually nearer 15 months. Much depends on your local office and whether it was part of the fraud for 'fake residence' i.e Montreal, Mississauga, Halifax. CIC are scrutinizing applications more closely and issuing RQs based on a risk factor profile. If you are concerned about the processing time then decide if Citizenship is important for you and either return to Canada or take your chances with the 14 month buffer you have.