+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR Card and Travelling

chipits

Sep 24, 2012
Hi! Apologies for the crosspost, I wasn't sure if this belonged here, but seeing as he got PR through family class I figured this might be a good spot to post as well...

My husband's PR card expired in April, without him realizing until today when he went to do his citizenship test. He passed, but won't find out about his ceremony for a few months, at least.

Unfortunately, we plan on doing two trips away - to the USA in August, and to Barbados and the USA in September - before he can get a new PR card.

I know he can apply for a PR Travel document, but how long would it take to process? The first trip to the USA will only be for 3-4 days, the second trip for about two weeks. Or is there any way he can travel without a PR card? He still has the stapled PR document in his passport.

He has a visa-exempt Australian passport.

Thanks!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi! Apologies for the crosspost, I wasn't sure if this belonged here, but seeing as he got PR through family class I figured this might be a good spot to post as well...

My husband's PR card expired in April, without him realizing until today when he went to do his citizenship test. He passed, but won't find out about his ceremony for a few months, at least.

Unfortunately, we plan on doing two trips away - to the USA in August, and to Barbados and the USA in September - before he can get a new PR card.

I know he can apply for a PR Travel document, but how long would it take to process? The first trip to the USA will only be for 3-4 days, the second trip for about two weeks. Or is there any way he can travel without a PR card? He still has the stapled PR document in his passport.

He has a visa-exempt Australian passport.

Thanks!!
You can only apply for the PR travel document once you are outside of Canada. You should assume it will take at least a week to process - longer is possible.

He will need the PRTD to return to Canada by plane. He can re-enter through a US/Canada land border using a private vehicle with his expired PR card / COPR.