+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR but want to relocate now

chinar

Jan 27, 2014
Hi,

I had received my PR card sometime in 2004 but I never stayed in Canada and the card has since expired and I did not renew it. I am now planning to relocate to Canada as my company is offering me a job in Canada. Can I renew the old expired PR card or do I have to go through the immigration process all over again!

Any inputs you all can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have more or less lost your PR status.
However, before you can apply for a visa or immigration again you must formally relinquish your PR...i think you have to return the PR card as well...not sure.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
chinar said:
Hi,

I had received my PR card sometime in 2004 but I never stayed in Canada and the card has since expired and I did not renew it. I am now planning to relocate to Canada as my company is offering me a job in Canada. Can I renew the old expired PR card or do I have to go through the immigration process all over again!

Any inputs you all can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.
OK, to renew your PR card, you will have to submit the application from inside Canada.
Unless you are invoking one of the few exemptions from physical presence in Canada for the last 10 years (Canadian citizen spouse, for example) you appear not to meet the Residency Obligation requirements.
Therefore you will probably have your PR card renewal refused and may be reported for not meeting the requirements.

If you lose your PR status, you have to start all over again from the beginning.

You could try sneaking into Canada, either on a visa-exempt passport or via private travel over the US/Canada border, but there is no guarantee that you will not be reported.

alwp

Feb 12, 2014
Hi guys,

I've got a similar problem, except that I've been living with my wife in France since 2006.
I got my PR card in 2004 and we lived in Montréal 1 year before moving to France for work. We got married in 2006. We would like to move back to Canada and be close to her family in B.C. now.

I need to know if I am still considered a PR even though my card is expired?
If so, can I renew from here in France so I can work as soon as I get to Canada?

Or do I need to start the whole process again? (in this case I know it is faster if we do it from France)
If this is the case, is the best way to reapply for her to sponsor me?

Thank you so much for your help.
ALWP

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is your wife a Canadian citizen?

OHKIDDA

Star Member
Sep 1, 2012
chinar said:
Hi,

I had received my PR card sometime in 2004 but I never stayed in Canada and the card has since expired and I did not renew it.
Thanks.
So...basically, you got what you wanted, without doing what was required of you. You applied to get PR, clogged the application process for people who genuinely wanted to stay here, and then moved out of the country. Then, you did not renew your card. and now you want to know how to trick the government.

I sincerely, genuinely, emphatically hope that you don't get any leniency.