+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired pr and prtd to travel back

wilfredacosta

Nov 16, 2018
Hi everyone!

So I wanted to go to the Philippines this December for vacation. My PR card is expired and I have sent a renewal application back in May but was later returned back in August. Haven't received any news since then. Worried my application or my renewed pr card will come in time.

The only option I can think of right now is to apply for a PRTD abroad hence in the Philippines. Question I have right now is Can I apply for a PRTD when I already sent a renewal application for my PR card?

It's a risky thing to do and I'm scared I might not be able to return to Canada. I really need aome advice and professional suggestions from you guys.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi everyone!

So I wanted to go to the Philippines this December for vacation. My PR card is expired and I have sent a renewal application back in May but was later returned back in August. Haven't received any news since then. Worried my application or my renewed pr card will come in time.

The only option I can think of right now is to apply for a PRTD abroad hence in the Philippines. Question I have right now is Can I apply for a PRTD when I already sent a renewal application for my PR card?

It's a risky thing to do and I'm scared I might not be able to return to Canada. I really need aome advice and professional suggestions from you guys.
Yes, you can have a PR card renewal and a PRTD application in progress at the same time.

Reactions: wilfredacosta

wilfredacosta

Nov 16, 2018
Yes, you can have a PR card renewal and a PRTD application in progress at the same time.
But I feel like there’s more to it than just applying for a PRTD. Are there more important information I needed to know first and then go to this method of travelling?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Manitoban90

Oct 26, 2018
Once a PR is always a PR, even if your PR is expired you can return but only through land in a private vehicle. The only for that is if you have access to USA

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Once a PR is always a PR, even if your PR is expired you can return but only through land in a private vehicle. The only for that is if you have access to USA
Minor point but guess you meant to say once a PR always a PR even if PR card has expired. PR status of course can only be revoked for various reasons such as not meeting RO or renounced , only PR cards expire.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That is incorrect, can you please provide a reference for it?

You can only lose PR if you choose to give it up or if you commit certain crimes.

My reference is http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=065&top=10

If your PR expires, you are still a PR.

Your status does not change
You can still lose your PR status without committing a crime or without choosing to give it up. If you don't meet the residency obligation and are reported at the border by CBSA for failing to meet RO when you enter by land, you'll have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your status. If you don't have strong H&C reasons for failing to meet RO, this will result in the loss of your PR status for failing to meet the residency obligation.

Reactions: jddd and YVR123

Manitoban90

Oct 26, 2018
You can still lose your PR status without committing a crime. If you don't meet the residency obligation and are reported at the border by CBSA for failing to meet RO when you enter by land, you'll have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your status. If you don't have strong H&C reasons for failing to meet RO, this will result in the loss of your PR status for failing to meet the residency obligation.
What is your reference for that though?

Does it say anywhere on the CIC website?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.