+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR and Green card

manoj2010

Star Member
Mar 30, 2010
Hello all,
My PR is expired recently and currently in US. I often need to travel to Canada for work. I realized that I can not get visitor visa until I surrender my PR. I don't have Green card yet, however, if I get Green card, Can I travel to Canada on Green card with expired Canadian PR ? Or I will have to still surrender PR to visit Canada ? I was thinking of keeping expired PR if I don't need to surrender it and can still visit to Canada.
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,
My PR is expired recently and currently in US. I often need to travel to Canada for work. I realized that I can not get visitor visa until I surrender my PR. I don't have Green card yet, however, if I get Green card, Can I travel to Canada on Green card with expired Canadian PR ? Or I will have to still surrender PR to visit Canada ? I was thinking of keeping expired PR if I don't need to surrender it and can still visit to Canada.
Thanks
Green card holders still need an eTA to board a plane to Canada, which you can't get as a PR.

Reactions: manoj2010

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
As long as you have PR status in Canada, you cannot get a visitor visa to Canada. A US green card has nothing to do with this.

You can visit Canada via a land border crossing (using private transport only) even without a valid PR card. Are you in compliance with your Canadian residency obligation?

Last edited:
Reactions: manoj2010

manoj2010

Star Member
Mar 30, 2010
As long as you have PR status in Canada, you cannot get a visitor visa to Canada. A US green card has nothing to do with this.

You can visit Canada via a land border crossing (using private transport only) even without a valid PR card. Are you in compliance with your Canadian residency obligation?
NO I am not.

manoj2010

Star Member
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks. didn't know that Green card (GC) holder would need eTA. So in short I can't visit Canada without surrendering my PR, no matter even if I have GC. I am not in compliance with your Canadian residency.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thanks. didn't know that Green card (GC) holder would need eTA. So in short I can't visit Canada without surrendering my PR, no matter even if I have GC. I am not in compliance with your Canadian residency.
Then in reality, what’s the point of having the PR card ?
Renounce it, and apply for the ETA in conjunction with your GC