+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Perm Resident

ukcitizen7

Jun 3, 2017
New to the forum and hoping I can get some answers.

I am originally from the UK, moved to Canada and lived there for many years as a permanent resident.

I moved back to the UK in 2008 with no intention of moving back to Canada. My PR card has expired and I may not have it anymore, I also do not meet the rules to be a PR.

My question relates to an upcoming visit to visit friends. Will I have any issues entering Canada? I have no intention of staying but I appreciate the border guards may not believe that.

Can anyone provide guidance?

Kind regards

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
First assuming you are a UK passport holder you will need an ETA to even board a plane to Canada.

Second if you are still a PR which you are given PR cards expire but PR status does not then you cannot apply for an ETA. If you do
you will get a letter that says you either apply for a PRTD travel document which will be rejected anyway given lack of residence or
you renounce your PR completely then an ETA would be issued.

Failing above you could fly to the US with a US ESTA cross the land border and enter that way without need for an ETA. You will likely get reported for failing residency obligation but as a PR you would still be entitled to enter the country even if you might get some extra questioning on residency status.

In reporting you for failing residency that would initiate in the background your PR status being revoked at some point but that would have no effect on you entering the country at that time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
New to the forum and hoping I can get some answers.

I am originally from the UK, moved to Canada and lived there for many years as a permanent resident.

I moved back to the UK in 2008 with no intention of moving back to Canada. My PR card has expired and I may not have it anymore, I also do not meet the rules to be a PR.

My question relates to an upcoming visit to visit friends. Will I have any issues entering Canada? I have no intention of staying but I appreciate the border guards may not believe that.

Can anyone provide guidance?

Kind regards
You won't even be able to board the plane to come to Canada. As a PR, even one who doesn't meet the RO, you don't qualify for an eTA and require a valid PR card or PRTD to fly. If you apply for an eTA, the system will determine you are still a PR and tell you to resolve your status.

Either you renounce your PR status now so that you can get an eTA or you will have to fly to the US and cross into Canada by land. You would be allowed entry as a PR, though you would probably be reported for not meeting the RO, which would result in the loss of your PR status.

ukcitizen7

Jun 3, 2017
Thanks for the really speedy responses!

It looks like renouncing is the only option, which isn't am issue given I have permanently moved back to the UK.

Do you imagine there would be any issues with that and what are the timescales?

You won't even be able to board the plane to come to Canada. As a PR, even one who doesn't meet the RO, you don't qualify for an eTA and require a valid PR card or PRTD to fly. If you apply for an eTA, the system will determine you are still a PR and tell you to resolve your status.

Either you renounce your PR status now so that you can get an eTA or you will have to fly to the US and cross into Canada by land. You would be allowed entry as a PR, though you would probably be reported for not meeting the RO, which would result in the loss of your PR status.

ukcitizen7

Jun 3, 2017
There is another consideration. My wife was born in Canada and has an active Canadian passport. She holds dual nationality as she is also now a UK passport holder.

Does this change things? A PR travel document was something I briefly read about.

We are planing on visiting in August.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
There is another consideration. My wife was born in Canada and has an active Canadian passport. She holds dual nationality as she is also now a UK passport holder.

Does this change things? A PR travel document was something I briefly read about.

We are planing on visiting in August.
Yes, that certainly does change things. Providing you have lived with your wife for at least 2 of the past 5 years, you meet the PR Residency Obligation and your PR status is safe. You can apply for a PRTD, which I think take a few weeks in London. You will need to show proof you have cohabited with your wife for the required time.