Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
Can ones passport be expired when applying for citizenship?

We are planing to apply in February and our passports expire in September, there is no consulate in Calgary so we will need to travel to Vancouver to get it renewed it cant be done by mail

My guess is that it doesnt matter cause its a travel document and we are not traveling, been researching and cant find anywhere where it says it can be expired or not

Thoughts anyone

Thanks

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
glowingheart said:

We are planing to apply in February and our passports expire in September, there is no consulate in Calgary so we will need to travel to Vancouver to get it renewed it cant be done by mail

My guess is that it doesnt matter cause its a travel document and we are not traveling, been researching and cant find anywhere where it says it can be expired or not

Thoughts anyone

Thanks
I heard stories about applicants getting RQ'ed because they applied with an expired passport. I think they suspect you have another passport and you are hiding it because you don't want to disclose trips you may have made. Also, and this is more important, it's not a good idea not to have a valid passport. Yes you re not planning to travel anytime soon but what if something happens? what if you have an emergency and you need to fly overseas as soon as possible??

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
Goldline said:
I heard stories about applicants getting RQ'ed because they applied with an expired passport. I think they suspect you have another passport and you are hiding it because you don't want to disclose trips you may have made. Also, and this is more important, it's not a good idea not to have a valid passport. Yes you re not planning to travel anytime soon but what if something happens? what if you have an emergency and you need to fly overseas as soon as possible??
makes sense what you say
but can't se any emergency outside of canada
I have nowhere else to go cause ill never go back to the place where I was born

thanks for your advise

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
My wife and children have expired PR cards and expired passports with their Citizenship application "in process"; no RQ yet :)

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
paw339 said:
My wife and children have expired PR cards and expired passports with their Citizenship application "in process"; no RQ yet :)
I think the passport shouldn't be a problem
Im checking yes on the CBSA to give access to my immigration movements

what's their timeline?

what is the exact meaning of RQ

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
RQ= Residency questionnaire. If CIC have any doubts about whether you meet the residency requirements they can ask for further information (RQ). Depending on what their doubts are you might be asked to provide a small amount of specific information or you could be asked to provide full "proof" you have been in Canada including bank records, tenancy agreements, bills etc.

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
paw339 said:
RQ= Residency questionnaire. If CIC have any doubts about whether you meet the residency requirements they can ask for further information (RQ). Depending on what their doubts are you might be asked to provide a small amount of specific information or you could be asked to provide full "proof" you have been in Canada including bank records, tenancy agreements, bills etc.
10-4

Thanks

wanabecanadian

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Goldline said:

If he were to renew his passport, is there any issue if someone had a just recently renewed passport from their home country? Ofcourse, one should submit copies of the old passports too but i read somewhere on this forum the reason for getting RQ and i believe I saw (can't find the thread anymore) someone mentioned a newly issued ID or something may trigger an RQ? Is that true and if so does that apply to passports as well or just photo IDs like drivers license etc.. i dont see any issue in having a newly renewed passport considering the time it takes to get Citizenship here may take so long that the current passport may expire.. any thoughts?

BOXSIR

Nov 30, 2013
My passport will be expired in 2015 , means when i will go for test i will have a expire passport. while at the time of citizenship application it was valid .
do i need to renew my PP before attending the test?
any advise ?

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
BOXSIR said:
My passport will be expired in 2015 , means when i will go for test i will have a expire passport. while at the time of citizenship application it was valid .
do i need to renew my PP before attending the test?
any advise ?
honestly I don't think that the expired passport should be a problem cause there is no visa to be stamped in it
in fact you are becoming a citizen and not planning to use that passport again

franixsouq

Jun 20, 2014
Hi
APPLYING for CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP
please help me, my question is that my passport(non-Canadian) have expired, and it is impossible for me to renew it, as i don't have any ties back to my country, and I'm not traveling back nor I have time to left to do it online.
is it ok to provide my expired passport of my country on which I got the visa and came to Canada?
Thanks

Please share your experience?

shandias

Mar 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
APPLYING for CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP
please help me, my question is that my passport(non-Canadian) have expired, and it is impossible for me to renew it, as i don't have any ties back to my country, and I'm not traveling back nor I have time to left to do it online.
is it ok to provide my expired passport of my country on which I got the visa and came to Canada?
Thanks

Please share your experience?
I applied for citizenship with my expired passport and i didnt have any issue. There is a field in main form for a explanation I just wrote "No intention of travelling so i didn't renew my password" but make sure to provide two pieces of IDs as your expired passport doesn't accept as its expired. i became a Canadian Citizen last year

Reactions: Aamurao14

zombiezombie

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014

Thoughts anyone

Thanks
The requirement says VALID ID's.
Once a passport is expired, it is no longer valid.

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
The requirement says VALID ID's.
Once a passport is expired, it is no longer valid.
Those are 2 different things. You have to provide 2 valid government issued IDs AS WELL AS all of the passports you have held in the relevant period. It is fine to apply without a current valid passport, so much so that the form tells you what to do if you do not have a current valid passport.

Reactions: foodie69