+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired passport at the test....

Yanor

Jan 27, 2014
Hello,

My passport is expiring in a couple of weeks, and i contacted the embassy of my country of origin to renew it, but the next close appointment that they could provide me is in december. I haven't got a notification for the test yet, but i'm wondering if this could be an issue...

So my question is: What would happen if an applicant shows up at the citizenship test with an expired passport?

Thanks

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will be fine. Having a valid passport is not a requirement.

Just make sure to bring all your expired passports with you.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Try to get letter or an email from your consulate about your inquiry and the next appointment available, print it, bring to a test/interview and hand to an agent and explain situation, it'll be reviewed and kept on file.

They'd like to see current passport, it's in test invitation letter.

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
I have the same problem. My passport will expire after 6 months from applying. the problem my embassy needs the old passport to cancel ( even it is expired ) it and i am afraid to send them it . I am afraid to lose my passport. i will not travel any where but i think the agent in the test wants to know if you travel after the expiration of passport or you have another passport.

bangloboy

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Travel Dream said:
I have the same problem. My passport will expire after 6 months from applying. the problem my embassy needs the old passport to cancel ( even it is expired ) it and i am afraid to send them it . I am afraid to lose my passport. i will not travel any where but i think the agent in the test wants to know if you travel after the expiration of passport or you have another passport.
If certain countries keep old passport and issue new one then what you do is photocopy EVERY page of your old passport and then get it attested by your country's embassy official which will show it is a true copy and dated. And also your new passport will show that your old one is expired but you can show the attested copied one.

justmeinyyc

Jan 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I received my citizenship in October and both my husband and I had expired passports. It was not an issue.
The CIC officer looked at all our expired documents (our PR cards had expired also) and that was it.

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
justmeinyyc said:
I received my citizenship in October and both my husband and I had expired passports. It was not an issue.
The CIC officer looked at all our expired documents (our PR cards had expired also) and that was it.

were your the passports expired just before the exam or long time before it ?

justmeinyyc

Jan 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Travel Dream said:
were your the passports expired just before the exam or long time before it ?
A long time before...mine expired in 2010.

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AGAIN... It's not a requirement to have a valid passport. Period!
You can do the whole citizenship application without having a passport as long as you can provide CIC with all the expired ones.

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
boasorte said:
AGAIN... It's not a requirement to have a valid passport. Period!
You can do the whole citizenship application without having a passport as long as you can provide CIC with all the expired ones.
but if I don't have a valid passport how they make sure that i am honest