+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Ontario health card of temporary foreign worker

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A: I'm not the original poster.
B: I was never in a "catagloy". I HAD an OWP, single applicant and I qualified for OHIP after 3 months of employment.
C: I eventually switched status from OWP to closed WP and renewed my OHIP with no waiting time.
D: Seems waiting times (3 months of employment prior to applying for OHIP) has been removed, but don't quote me on that.
You need to prove that you will be working full-time for over 6 months to qualify for OHIP on an OWP unless you have a spouse that is working on a WP and has qualified for OHIP. Switching from an OWP to a closed WP while working full-time is not the same as getting an OWP through your spouses employment which is expiring and waiting for your OWP to be approved as part of an inland sponsorship. OP will need to show that they are working and their job will last over 6 months to qualify for OHIP on their eventual OWP.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
You need to prove that you will be working full-time for over 6 months to qualify for OHIP on an OWP unless you have a spouse that is working on a WP and has qualified for OHIP. Switching from an OWP to a closed WP while working full-time is not the same as getting an OWP through your spouses employment which is expiring and waiting for your OWP to be approved as part of an inland sponsorship. OP will need to show that they are working and their job will last over 6 months to qualify for OHIP on their eventual OWP.
They have changed the rules since I applied the first time. That's for sure. But there is no waiting time of 6 months, as you implied. There is the need to prove that you will be working full time the coming 6 months, via letter of employment. However, only for principal applicant. Not for accompanying spouse on an OWP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I know that you are not the OP. I just want to know how you qualify for OHIP and the list I posted above are from the Ontario Health website.
One needs to fit at least one of the listed requirements (I removed citizen, PR...etc) to get OHIP. I just want to learn how provincial health insurnace works in Ontario.

I think OP's wife isn't currently employed.
They have changed the rules since I applied the first time. That's for sure. But there is no waiting time of 6 months, as you implied. There is the need to prove that you will be working full time the coming 6 months, via letter of employment. However, only for principal applicant. Not for accompanying spouse on an OWP.
You keep misquoting me. I have never said you need to wait 6 months to qualify I said you need to prove that you will be working full-time for over 6 months or have a spouse who is working and qualified for OHIP.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes. We understand this. But OP is NOT on OWP any more. He is a PR.
His wife is not working and current OWP will expire and will be a visitor waiting for another OWP (apply along side with spousal sponsorship).
So she does not fall into any of the "will work for 6 months" or "accompanying spouse on an OWP". After her OWP expires, she will be a visitor waiting for her spousal sponsorship application.

sandhu_heera_preet

Star Member
Jul 30, 2016
No that is not the case. Once her health card expires she will no longer be able to access healthcare for free. Your wife only had OHIP because you were on a WP but you are now a PR. What stage is she in the sponsorship process? It looks like she has only recently applied for sponsorship. It was explained to you months ago that she would not qualify for OHIP after her current OHIP expires.

Think that you are confusing that health cards that require renewal as PRs or citizens will continue to be valid.
Hello, Thank you for your reply again.
My wife contacted The OHIP Eligibility Review Committee
and she received replies as follows:-

Email
Dear Officer,
I have an OIHP card expiring on 24th July 2021 as my open work permit also expires on 24th July 2021. My husband became a permanent resident of Canada this February. I have applied for my permanent residency (spousal) and open work permit extension together. I have received a temporary application number for my permanent residency application.
I visited Service Ontario nad officials told me that you do not have the required documents to renew your health card. I pray I get the required document from IRCC soon but due to COVID they are taking a long time to process the application.

Dear officer, I want to explain my situation here. I am 33 weeks pregnant and my due date is the 2nd of August 2021 which is after my health card expiry date. If I give birth after my health card expires, it will be very costly for me and my husband. I request you to review my documents and please provide possible ways to renew my health card. It will be very helpful for me

I have one more question. I read on the website that most expired cards will be valid until further notice. Is it true in my case?

I am attaching my Health Card, Work Permit.

Thank you for your e-mail to the Ministry of Health’s (the ministry’s) OHIP Eligibility Review Committee (OERC)

In direct response to the COVID-19 situation, the ministry is extending the eligibility of expired and/or expiring health cards to ensure Ontarians continue to have access to insured and publicly-funded health services during the outbreak.

Accordingly, your Ontario health insurance coverage has already been extended 6 months from the expiry date on your health card. Please continue using your existing health card when accessing health services as it remains valid January 2022 .

Please attend at a ServiceOntario centre when it is advisable to do so when you receive your new documents from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada to renew your OHIP card.

An OERC review has not been opened.

Regards,

The OHIP Eligibility Review Committee

2nd Email
Good Morning Officer,

Thank you so much for your quick response. Your reply gave me a huge relief.
I just want to confirm that I am a temporary worker in Canada and my work permit expiring on 24th July 2021. Can i still use my expired health card for my baby delivery?

Thank you so much

Good day:

As mentioned, please continue using your existing health card for insured medical services as it remains valid and will remain valid until January 2022. Please attend in person at ServiceOntario when you get your new immigration document to update your registration and receive a new health card.

Thanks,

The OERC

What would you say about that?
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, Thank you for your reply again.
My wife contacted The OHIP Eligibility Review Committee
and she received replies as follows:-

Email
Dear Officer,
I have an OIHP card expiring on 24th July 2021 as my open work permit also expires on 24th July 2021. My husband became a permanent resident of Canada this February. I have applied for my permanent residency (spousal) and open work permit extension together. I have received a temporary application number for my permanent residency application.
I visited Service Ontario nad officials told me that you do not have the required documents to renew your health card. I pray I get the required document from IRCC soon but due to COVID they are taking a long time to process the application.

Dear officer, I want to explain my situation here. I am 33 weeks pregnant and my due date is the 2nd of August 2021 which is after my health card expiry date. If I give birth after my health card expires, it will be very costly for me and my husband. I request you to review my documents and please provide possible ways to renew my health card. It will be very helpful for me

I have one more question. I read on the website that most expired cards will be valid until further notice. Is it true in my case?

I am attaching my Health Card, Work Permit.

Thank you for your e-mail to the Ministry of Health’s (the ministry’s) OHIP Eligibility Review Committee (OERC)

In direct response to the COVID-19 situation, the ministry is extending the eligibility of expired and/or expiring health cards to ensure Ontarians continue to have access to insured and publicly-funded health services during the outbreak.

Accordingly, your Ontario health insurance coverage has already been extended 6 months from the expiry date on your health card. Please continue using your existing health card when accessing health services as it remains valid January 2022 .

Please attend at a ServiceOntario centre when it is advisable to do so when you receive your new documents from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada to renew your OHIP card.

An OERC review has not been opened.

Regards,

The OHIP Eligibility Review Committee

2nd Email
Good Morning Officer,

Thank you so much for your quick response. Your reply gave me a huge relief.
I just want to confirm that I am a temporary worker in Canada and my work permit expiring on 24th July 2021. Can i still use my expired health card for my baby delivery?

Thank you so much

Good day:

As mentioned, please continue using your existing health card for insured medical services as it remains valid and will remain valid until January 2022. Please attend in person at ServiceOntario when you get your new immigration document to update your registration and receive a new health card.

Thanks,

The OERC

What would you say about that?
Thanks
That's great news you got very lucky. You should be prepared because you will lose coverage in January.

Nov 2, 2020
Yes you are right yyzstudent, you need a letter from employer which states the length of employment which should be at least more than six moths.

Choudhary2800

Star Member
Oct 1, 2019
Hello Guys, I came in Canada as an international student. I completed my study in April 2021. Till april 2021 i had my college insurance. My husband is on OWP. He got his OHIP as he is working full-time. I got full-time job in August 2021. I got my PGWP till June 2024.
As my husband came SOWP he has his WP till September 2021.
But after getting me a job, I have applied WP-EXTENSION for my husband which is in progress now. Now I want to apply for my OHIP. How can I apply for OHIP? As I just completed my 1month on a job and my husband's WP is getting expired. And his WP-EXTENSION is in progress.
Can I get OHIP?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Guys, I came in Canada as an international student. I completed my study in April 2021. Till april 2021 i had my college insurance. My husband is on OWP. He got his OHIP as he is working full-time. I got full-time job in August 2021. I got my PGWP till June 2024.
As my husband came SOWP he has his WP till September 2021.
But after getting me a job, I have applied WP-EXTENSION for my husband which is in progress now. Now I want to apply for my OHIP. How can I apply for OHIP? As I just completed my 1month on a job and my husband's WP is getting expired. And his WP-EXTENSION is in progress.
Can I get OHIP?
Yes you qualify for OHIP if you have a full-time job that will last for over 6 months. You will need a letter from your employer

bac0n14

Star Member
Feb 3, 2022
Hi,

Since PGWP is taking a long time to process, will this affect the OHIP renewal? My wife already have a full time job but our permit will expire on March along with the OHIP cards. Can we renew the ohip with implied status since IRCC is taking time to process applications?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Since PGWP is taking a long time to process, will this affect the OHIP renewal? My wife already have a full time job but our permit will expire on March along with the OHIP cards. Can we renew the ohip with implied status since IRCC is taking time to process applications?
Do you have a job in NOC 0, A or B? Does she have a full-time job that will last over 6 months when OWP approved?

bac0n14

Star Member
Feb 3, 2022
Do you have a job in NOC 0, A or B? Does she have a full-time job that will last over 6 months when OWP approved?
Yes, both NOC B. PGWP just started her fulltime job this week. We just don't have the approval of the PGWP yet and OWP extension is yet to be submitted once the 3 payslips are obtained.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, both NOC B. PGWP just started her fulltime job this week. We just don't have the approval of the PGWP yet and OWP extension is yet to be submitted once the 3 payslips are obtained.
If you get your 3 pay slip and submit the OWP before your WP expires you may she may be able to keep OHIP. There is more flexibility due to Covid. She’ll need to appeal to ohip to obtain coverage while on implied status.