+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Ontario health card of temporary foreign worker

sandhu_heera_preet

Star Member
Jul 30, 2016
Hello, my wife is 34 weeks pregnant and her due date is 2nd August 2021. Her Open work permit is expiring on 24th July 2021 and her Ontario Health card also expiring on same date. I checked their website that most health cards will be valid until further notice. Is it true in her case as well?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, my wife is 34 weeks pregnant and her due date is 2nd August 2021. Her Open work permit is expiring on 24th July 2021 and her Ontario Health card also expiring on same date. I checked their website that most health cards will be valid until further notice. Is it true in her case as well?
No that is not the case. Once her health card expires she will no longer be able to access healthcare for free. Your wife only had OHIP because you were on a WP but you are now a PR. What stage is she in the sponsorship process? It looks like she has only recently applied for sponsorship. It was explained to you months ago that she would not qualify for OHIP after her current OHIP expires.

Think that you are confusing that health cards that require renewal as PRs or citizens will continue to be valid.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
If your wife will be a visitor (with expired OWP and you should extend her visitor status before OWP expired), then she is not covered under OHIP as others have stated.
Did you apply for inland sponsorship? Did you include OWP with that? Have you received AOR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If your wife will be a visitor (with expired OWP and you should extend her visitor status before OWP expired), then she is not covered under OHIP as others have stated.
Did you apply for inland sponsorship? Did you include OWP with that? Have you received AOR?
Don't believe that applying for OWP will lead to OWP extension or will lead to qualifying for OHIP. The OWP with inland processing would be a new OWP application. OWP holders don't qualify for OHIP unless they'll be working full-time for over 6 months unless you qualify for OHIP through your spouse who is on their own WP. Ontario has one of the most tough requirements to qualify for healthcare. You should certainly check with OHIP unless the have made exceptions during the pandemic.

Reactions: YVR123
Nov 2, 2020
I am not sure if you have applied for permanent residency application, if yes you may qualify as per guidelines on https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2

Who qualifies
To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:
have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
  • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
  • you have not yet been denied

You can check whether your card is valid by calling ServiceOntario at 1-866-532-3161.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Don't believe that applying for OWP will lead to OWP extension or will lead to qualifying for OHIP. The OWP with inland processing would be a new OWP application. OWP holders don't qualify for OHIP unless they'll be working full-time for over 6 months unless you qualify for OHIP through your spouse who is on their own WP. Ontario has one of the most tough requirements to qualify for healthcare. You should certainly check with OHIP unless the have made exceptions during the pandemic.
I had an OWP for 3 years and I had OHIP.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You said:
"OWP holders don't qualify for OHIP unless they'll be working full-time for over 6 months"

And that is not true.
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-timein Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months
    • under this requirement, your spouse and any dependents also qualify for OHIP if you do
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit under the federal Live-in Caregiver Program
  • are a convention refugee or other protected person (as defined by Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada)
  • have a Temporary Resident Permit (only certain case types, e.g. 86 through 95)
So which catagloy were you in?

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-timein Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months
    • under this requirement, your spouse and any dependents also qualify for OHIP if you do
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit under the federal Live-in Caregiver Program
  • are a convention refugee or other protected person (as defined by Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada)
  • have a Temporary Resident Permit (only certain case types, e.g. 86 through 95)
So which catagloy were you in?
A: I'm not the original poster.
B: I was never in a "catagloy". I HAD an OWP, single applicant and I qualified for OHIP after 3 months of employment.
C: I eventually switched status from OWP to closed WP and renewed my OHIP with no waiting time.
D: Seems waiting times (3 months of employment prior to applying for OHIP) has been removed, but don't quote me on that.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
A: I'm not the original poster.
B: I was never in a "catagloy". I HAD an OWP, single applicant and I qualified for OHIP after 3 months of employment.
C: I eventually switched status from OWP to closed WP and renewed my OHIP with no waiting time.
D: Seems waiting times (3 months of employment prior to applying for OHIP) has been removed, but don't quote me on that.
I know that you are not the OP. I just want to know how you qualify for OHIP and the list I posted above are from the Ontario Health website.
One needs to fit at least one of the listed requirements (I removed citizen, PR...etc) to get OHIP. I just want to learn how provincial health insurnace works in Ontario.

I think OP's wife isn't currently employed.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
I know that you are not the OP. I just want to know how you qualify for OHIP and the list I posted above are from the Ontario Health website.
One needs to fit at least one of the listed requirements (I removed citizen, PR...etc) to get OHIP. I just want to learn how provincial health insurnace works in Ontario.
Keep reading all the links in that site regarding OHIP. We all had to do that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You said:
"OWP holders don't qualify for OHIP unless they'll be working full-time for over 6 months"

And that is not true.
I didn’t say that I said “. OWP holders don't qualify for OHIP unless they'll be working full-time for over 6 months unless you qualify for OHIP through your spouse who is on their own WP.”