+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Ontario health card of temporary foreign worker

bac0n14

Star Member
Feb 3, 2022
If you get your 3 pay slip and submit the OWP before your WP expires you may she may be able to keep OHIP. There is more flexibility due to Covid. She’ll need to appeal to ohip to obtain coverage while on implied status.
Isn't it possible to renew it on ServerOntario office before it expires rather than sending an appeal to OHIP?

synnyday

Feb 26, 2022
Hello, Thank you for your reply again.
My wife contacted The OHIP Eligibility Review Committee
and she received replies as follows:-

Email
Dear Officer,
I have an OIHP card expiring on 24th July 2021 as my open work permit also expires on 24th July 2021. My husband became a permanent resident of Canada this February. I have applied for my permanent residency (spousal) and open work permit extension together. I have received a temporary application number for my permanent residency application.
I visited Service Ontario nad officials told me that you do not have the required documents to renew your health card. I pray I get the required document from IRCC soon but due to COVID they are taking a long time to process the application.

Dear officer, I want to explain my situation here. I am 33 weeks pregnant and my due date is the 2nd of August 2021 which is after my health card expiry date. If I give birth after my health card expires, it will be very costly for me and my husband. I request you to review my documents and please provide possible ways to renew my health card. It will be very helpful for me

I have one more question. I read on the website that most expired cards will be valid until further notice. Is it true in my case?

I am attaching my Health Card, Work Permit.

Thank you for your e-mail to the Ministry of Health’s (the ministry’s) OHIP Eligibility Review Committee (OERC)

In direct response to the COVID-19 situation, the ministry is extending the eligibility of expired and/or expiring health cards to ensure Ontarians continue to have access to insured and publicly-funded health services during the outbreak.

Accordingly, your Ontario health insurance coverage has already been extended 6 months from the expiry date on your health card. Please continue using your existing health card when accessing health services as it remains valid January 2022 .

Please attend at a ServiceOntario centre when it is advisable to do so when you receive your new documents from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada to renew your OHIP card.

An OERC review has not been opened.

Regards,

The OHIP Eligibility Review Committee

2nd Email
Good Morning Officer,

Thank you so much for your quick response. Your reply gave me a huge relief.
I just want to confirm that I am a temporary worker in Canada and my work permit expiring on 24th July 2021. Can i still use my expired health card for my baby delivery?

Thank you so much

Good day:

As mentioned, please continue using your existing health card for insured medical services as it remains valid and will remain valid until January 2022. Please attend in person at ServiceOntario when you get your new immigration document to update your registration and receive a new health card.

Thanks,

The OERC

What would you say about that?
Thanks
Good day, sandhu_heera_preet! I have the same situation. Do you have any problems in the hospital?