+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired- NOT previously sent for PR- CELPIP test

Endthisplease

Apr 5, 2016
Hi. Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find it.

My spouse and I got our PR in the pre EE days through the Experience Class program. At that moment we didn't know who was going to be the main applicant so we both passed our CELPIP test. Finally I was the main applicant so only my CELPIP test was included in the PR application.

We are now preparing for the citizenship application and:

-I understand my CELPIP test is perfectly valid even though it is expired.

-Is my spouse CELPIP test valid even though it is expired and it wasn't send with the PR application?

Thank you so much in advance

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi. Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find it.

My spouse and I got our PR in the pre EE days through the Experience Class program. At that moment we didn't know who was going to be the main applicant so we both passed our CELPIP test. Finally I was the main applicant so only my CELPIP test was included in the PR application.

We are now preparing for the citizenship application and:

-I understand my CELPIP test is perfectly valid even though it is expired.

-Is my spouse CELPIP test valid even though it is expired and it wasn't send with the PR application?

Thank you so much in advance
I believe so. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=571&top=5 and https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/language-proof/step-2.html

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
I haven't been able to find a firm answer on this. In the instruction guide, it explicitly asks for the language results to have been used for immigration in the past, if they are expired.

Results from a third-party language test

Your language test result must be equal to the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB/NCLC)/Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens level 4 or higher in speaking and listening. If you did the test in the past for immigration or citizenship purposes, we will accept the results even if it has expired.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I haven't been able to find a firm answer on this. In the instruction guide, it explicitly asks for the language results to have been used for immigration in the past, if they are expired.

Your language test result must be equal to the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB/NCLC)/Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens level 4 or higher in speaking and listening. If you did the test in the past for immigration or citizenship purposes, we will accept the results even if it has expired.
Based on the fact that they will happily accept school certificates, which might be 40 years old and impossible to validate, I suspect that a recently expired formal test result should be OK. However, it might be an idea making a call to the IRCC call centre (for whatever that's worth).

Last edited:

Supercanadian

Star Member
Feb 3, 2017
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-09-2016
Doc's Request.
05-07-2017
Nomination.....
02-08-2017
AOR Received.
24-10-2017
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
Pre-arrival e-mail: 28-05-2018
Med's Request
12-07-2018
Med's Done....
Done 16-07-2018. Passed 18-07-2018
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-02-2019
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2019
LANDED..........
21-02-2019

Note that it didn't say if you "submitted" it in the past for immigration or citizenship purposes but only requires you to have taken the test for either purpose. My understanding is that the test should be specifically for immigration/citizenship e.g. IELTS General vs. IELTS Academic. So, your CELPIP result should be okay. I also agree with the school certificate argument above. Good luck!

Reactions: razerblade