+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired COPR

Sarahw16

Dec 5, 2019
Hi everyone.

My COPR was issued after Mar 18, 2020 and expired in Dec 2020. Haven't received any correspondence from IRCC yet.
Was wondering if anyone got instructions and got a new COPR?
If they ask for new medicals, then we have to leave within one year just like before?

Many thanks.

Manaloto

Star Member
Oct 29, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Same here post copr with expired copr..got remedical email from ircc…dont worry we will all get email…they are still sorting all details…

maral_meraj

Oct 5, 2019
My documents have been issued after march 18,2020
And I have not received any email.
I have contacted ircc through webform 5 days ago but I did not receive any correspondence.
I am beginning to worry!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My documents have been issued after march 18,2020
And I have not received any email.
I have contacted ircc through webform 5 days ago but I did not receive any correspondence.
I am beginning to worry!
Are you a spousal sponsorship?

If so, the march 18 date restriction never applied to you, and you should not expect that ircc knows that you are waiting for a new one.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My COPR was issued after Mar 18, 2020 and expired in Dec 2020. Haven't received any correspondence from IRCC yet.
Was wondering if anyone got instructions and got a new COPR?
If they ask for new medicals, then we have to leave within one year just like before?
Repeating and emphasizing my point above: for spousal applicants and others who (by definition) were exempt from the March 18, 2020 copr travel restrictions*, I would strongly suggest raising a webform with IRCC when you are ready to travel (i.e. you have made some plans and wish to travel to Canada as soon as feasible and you're just waiting for/needing travel documents).

It is not obvious to me that IRCC will be aware that you were/are expecting a newly-issued COPR - because again, if you were exempt from the travel restrictions, they may be or have assumed that you were not waiting for anything.

An important note, this may be a bit different for applicants from India given the flight ban and the pause that NDVO/IRCC had on issuing PPRs and COPRs/visas, which is only now being lifted in stages.

*There seems to be a lot of confusion about this. The "holders of COPRs issued after March 18" travel restriction never applied to spousal applicants (or those with immediate family such as spouses) because the immediate family travel exemption meant that they could have travelled at any time (save flight restrictions or other travel bans eg from country of origin).

But it seems clear that some who received COPR after March 18 were not aware of the exemption (to be fair, the government announcements on this were worded in a somewhat complicated way).

Sarahw16

Dec 5, 2019
Repeating and emphasizing my point above: for spousal applicants and others who (by definition) were exempt from the March 18, 2020 copr travel restrictions*, I would strongly suggest raising a webform with IRCC when you are ready to travel (i.e. you have made some plans and wish to travel to Canada as soon as feasible and you're just waiting for/needing travel documents).

It is not obvious to me that IRCC will be aware that you were/are expecting a newly-issued COPR - because again, if you were exempt from the travel restrictions, they may be or have assumed that you were not waiting for anything.

An important note, this may be a bit different for applicants from India given the flight ban and the pause that NDVO/IRCC had on issuing PPRs and COPRs/visas, which is only now being lifted in stages.

*There seems to be a lot of confusion about this. The "holders of COPRs issued after March 18" travel restriction never applied to spousal applicants (or those with immediate family such as spouses) because the immediate family travel exemption meant that they could have travelled at any time (save flight restrictions or other travel bans eg from country of origin).

But it seems clear that some who received COPR after March 18 were not aware of the exemption (to be fair, the government announcements on this were worded in a somewhat complicated way).
Thank you so much for explaining.
I had raised a webform in Oct 2020 to let them know that we didn't want to travel due to the COVID-19 pandemic at that time.
Now that my COPR was already expired and I have renewed my passport recently so I raised a webform in Jun 2021 to let them know.
Hope that I can get a new COPR...

Reactions: armoured

Aruleesee

Star Member
Apr 14, 2019
One question- When you got an email for expired COPR, did you reply to the same email? I clicked on the email they'd sent (to reply) and composed a new email. Should that matter? I am a little stressed since they don't send any acknowledgment. and I am also worried sending it twice might delay the process.

Please let me know what y'all did. Thanks!

Dongj7n Cha

Oct 18, 2021
Hi, I am Canmigrella.
I guess most of the people received the email from IRCC which is asking whether you still wanna come.
my CoPR is expired at 2021/02/05 and received confirmation of my current intention on 2021/10/12. now waiting for the next step. please refer to my timeline.
Moreover, please do not only see my information but also please let us share your information on my youtube reply (
). I am looking for participants making big data of CoPR renewal timeline. it will definitely help other people who are nervous waiting IRCC process. Rather than just complaining and wait, please let us collect a database to expect our life schedule more wisely.
If we do nothing together, we may be just a weak applicant. however, if we combined, we will be a member of a strong and wise preparing group.