+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiration of permanent residence

cocteau8

Mar 5, 2014
For various reasons - family illness, subsequent bereavement and then schooling - we were unable to make the move to Canada as we had intended. I had tried to renew our residence cards a few years ago, but without success, so thought that was that! In November 2016, however, I received an email which suggested that we are still recorded as residents and that should we not be able to present a valid permanent residence card when boarding a flight to Canada we may be denied entry, but we are still planning on visiting British Columbia one day soon and don't want to be turned away! I can find no relevant contact of the Canadian Government website, in order to seek advice, but is there any help/ suggestion here? Thank you

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
cocteau8 said:
For various reasons - family illness, subsequent bereavement and then schooling - we were unable to make the move to Canada as we had intended. I had tried to renew our residence cards a few years ago, but without success, so thought that was that! In November 2016, however, I received an email which suggested that we are still recorded as residents and that should we not be able to present a valid permanent residence card when boarding a flight to Canada we may be denied entry, but we are still planning on visiting British Columbia one day soon and don't want to be turned away! I can find no relevant contact of the Canadian Government website, in order to seek advice, but is there any help/ suggestion here? Thank you
How long have you stayed out of Canada?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
cocteau8 said:
PR cards expire but PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked.

Without a valid PR card you would need to apply for a PRTD , a travel document in order to even board a plane for Canada. If you have not spent at least 2 years out of the last 5 years then even applying for a PRTd could possibly result in your PR being revoked for failing residency.

Without a valid PR card or a PRTD the only option to enter Canada would be via a land border and even then if you have failed residency obligation it is possible you could be reported and have PR revoked.

If you no longer require PR and still wish to travel to Canada you would need to renounce PR.

The reasons for not taking up PR that you quote on their own may not probably be sufficient to retaining PR on human and compassionate reasons.