+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiration of COPR within COVId -19 lockdown

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
  • Expired COPR and PRV: If the applicant informs IRCC via the web form that they are unable or unwilling to travel after the expiration of their COPR and PRV, or if they are unable or unwilling to travel prior to expiration, officers are to re-open the application, and it should be brought forward for review in 90 days.
Post the link not just a cut/paste so people can see the official guideline

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You again with your negativity. Even if you are in a country with few cases, the worldwide recommendation is to Stay home. I believe that was exactly why they added the word unwilling. IRCC is being very clear. “Subjective” Come on, bud, cut the crap!
Some people are under the impression they will be able to get extensions until a vaccine is available. That isn’t the case. Just reinforcing that people can’t count on being unwilling to travel for the next year. People should still be making preparations to move or do a short landing. Extensions are being given out in 3 month increments and only when their COPR expires. Nobody is getting an extensions for the next year.

Reactions: jefferson12

jefferson12

Apr 5, 2020
Some people are under the impression they will be able to get extensions until a vaccine is available. That isn’t the case. Just reinforcing that people can’t count on being unwilling to travel for the next year. People should still be making preparations to move or do a short landing. Extensions are being given out in 3 month increments and only when their COPR expires. Nobody is getting an extensions for the next year.
Yes, I fully agree with you. I’m sorry if I misunderstood you

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
The unwilling to travel bit refers to those with expired documents reporting such, why that is the case I don't know. It goes on to say the officer will reopen the application which suggests the application will be reconsidered to some degree or other which is a risk. The part about valid COPR and PRV makes it clear that they want you to travel before your documents expire. Personally I would travel if you can, who knows how long things are going to be like they are or if they will get worse.

"
Approved permanent residence applications (COPR and PRV)
Permanent residence application approval procedures (for finalized applications) and refusals (for reasons unrelated to the disruption of services), may continue.

Permanent residence applicants who are in possession of a confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) and permanent resident visa (PRV) and inform us, by submitting a web form to IRCC, that they are unable to travel within the validity of their documentation should be processed as follows:

• Valid COPR and PRV: In an effort to reduce the number of cancelled COPRs and PRVs, a note should be placed in the file explaining that the applicant is unable to travel, and the file should be brought forward to the expiration date of the COPR and PRV. If the applicant informs IRCC that they can travel prior to the COPR and PRV expiration, they are encouraged to use their existing COPR and PRV to land.
  • Expired COPR and PRV: If the applicant informs IRCC via the web form that they are unable or unwilling to travel after the expiration of their COPR and PRV, or if they are unable or unwilling to travel prior to expiration, officers are to re-open the application, and it should be brought forward for review in 90 days."

Reactions: canuck78

Adam261

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
My COPR EXPIRED ON APRIL 1st

I believe the addition of the word unwilling is very positive.

because this bulltin has been there since mid March , but they decided to update it and add only that word.
I am happy that IRCC are cooperative and understanding , considering the current dangerous pandemic

My Question :

I am optimistic about extension , but I am asking about the timeline
there is an update also about the medicals that i don't understand
What should i do now in those 90 days ?

Reactions: jefferson12

jefferson12

Apr 5, 2020
The unwilling to travel bit refers to those with expired documents reporting such, why that is the case I don't know. It goes on to say the officer will reopen the application which suggests the application will be reconsidered to some degree or other which is a risk. The part about valid COPR and PRV makes it clear that they want you to travel before your documents expire. Personally I would travel if you can, who knows how long things are going to be like they are or if they will get worse.

"
Approved permanent residence applications (COPR and PRV)
Permanent residence application approval procedures (for finalized applications) and refusals (for reasons unrelated to the disruption of services), may continue.

Permanent residence applicants who are in possession of a confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) and permanent resident visa (PRV) and inform us, by submitting a web form to IRCC, that they are unable to travel within the validity of their documentation should be processed as follows:

• Valid COPR and PRV: In an effort to reduce the number of cancelled COPRs and PRVs, a note should be placed in the file explaining that the applicant is unable to travel, and the file should be brought forward to the expiration date of the COPR and PRV. If the applicant informs IRCC that they can travel prior to the COPR and PRV expiration, they are encouraged to use their existing COPR and PRV to land.
  • Expired COPR and PRV: If the applicant informs IRCC via the web form that they are unable or unwilling to travel after the expiration of their COPR and PRV, or if they are unable or unwilling to travel prior to expiration, officers are to re-open the application, and it should be brought forward for review in 90 days."
Read it again, bud.

jefferson12

Apr 5, 2020

because this bulltin has been there since mid March , but they decided to update it and add only that word.
I am happy that IRCC are cooperative and understanding , considering the current dangerous pandemic

My Question :

You should wait they contact you. Once you’re able to travel, send them another webform explaining that you’re able to travel and wait. There is not another option we have to be patience.

Reactions: Adam261

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
IRCC have sent the following email to COPR holders. Despite what some are suggesting on this forum it is clear from this email that IRCC want you to travel if you can. What is also clear is that they currently don't have the foggiest what they are going to do about those who have expired documents!

Important information for approved permanent residence applicants currently outside Canada
This email is for you if:
  • you are outside of Canada
  • your application for permanent residence (PR) was approved and
  • you have a confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR)
If you are already in Canada, please disregard this message; it does not apply to you. If you are a representative, please inform your clients who fit the above description.
Congratulations again on having been selected to immigrate to Canada. We look forward to welcoming you. Unfortunately, the response to the global pandemic is forcing travel restrictions and delays in plans for many. We want to ensure you are aware of restrictions in place in Canada at this time.
On March 20, 2020, the Government of Canada provided updates on exemptions to travel restrictions in place to stop the spread of COVID-19 and protect the health and safety of Canadians.
Find out if the travel restrictions apply to you:
  • If your PR application was approved before or on March 18, 2020, you are allowed to travel to Canada. Please read about the public health measures below. If circumstances allow, we encourage you to continue to make plans to land in Canada in 2020.
  • If your PR application was approved after March 18, 2020, you should not make any plans to travel to Canada until travel restrictions are lifted. You will not be allowed into Canada at this time.
  • Use the issuance date on your CoPR to determine if you were approved before, on, or after March 18, 2020. If possible, we encourage you and your accompanying family members to arrive in Canada at the same time.
Public health measures you must follow if you plan to travel to Canada soon:
  • If you travel by air, you will need to pass a health check before you are allowed to board your flight. Travellers who show symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to travel to Canada. If you know you are sick, delay your travel plans until you are feeling well.
  • Whether you travel to Canada by land or by air, a border services officer will assess your health once you arrive in Canada.
  • Once in Canada, you must quarantine for 14 days, even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory for all travellers. There are significant penalties for anyone who does not follow this order. Please see New Order Makes Self-Isolation Mandatory for Individuals Entering Canada.
  • You must have a plan for how you will quarantine for 14 days when you get to Canada and how you will have access to groceries, get medical care, and other essential services. You will be asked to show your plan to border officials. While in quarantine, you will not be able to leave your place of quarantine for any reason. If you do not have a plan for quarantine do not travel until you have made one.
If your CoPR expires before you are able to travel to Canada:
  • If you have not already done so, please contact us using the webform to let us know if you are not able to travel to Canada before your document expires. If you have already done this, we have the information and you don’t need to submit another.
  • You may not get an immediate response to your enquiry indicating the next steps, but we are reviewing all enquiries. IRCC is working hard to determine the next steps for clients in this situation. We’re not sure yet when updates or instructions on this will become available, but we will make sure that they are communicated as soon as next steps are decided on.
  • Please also continue to regularly check on our COVID-19 webpage for updates.
Thank you for your patience during these exceptional circumstances.
Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada

H@mz@

Apr 28, 2020
Karachi
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
Pakistan
Hello. Our copr expired on 13 Apr and we raised the webform on 11 Apr. I am concered we havent received any response from IRCC yet. We tried our best to travel but due to lockdown & flight cancelation we couldnt. What are the chances of extension and how long does this process takes?
What's the status now? Is your file reopened or what?

H@mz@

Apr 28, 2020
Karachi
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
Pakistan

My Question :

What is the status now? Is your file reopened or what?

nagarajsarath6

Jan 1, 2019
@Beltex @jefferson12 @Adam261 @Bs65 IDK if my situation is similar to others. I received my passport from Ottawa VO today. And, the CoPR has an expired date of 17th April 2020.
I wondered if there was any shipping delay and checked UPS shipping history. But, the label was only created on 1st of May.
Also, my application was only approved on 28th of April 2020, which is way past 17th of April 2020.
Finally, I raised a web form regarding my situation and putting it out to here from fellow applicants.
Could anyone share any news on this? Thanks.
Note: Out land applicant(US)

Last edited:

AD94

Star Member
Mar 3, 2019
Hello. Our copr expired on 13 Apr and we raised the webform on 11 Apr. I am concered we havent received any response from IRCC yet. We tried our best to travel but due to lockdown & flight cancelation we couldnt. What are the chances of extension and how long does this process takes?
Did u receive any mail from IRCC yet?