+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiration of COPR within COVId -19 lockdown

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interesting post thanks to @prusa

Guys - after much wait I was able to connect to an IRCC agent and I have some news for the folks in USA.

I asked about inability to travel and she said our policy is when you can come you should come.

She said per current travel restrictions, since your COPR was approved before March 18 you are exempt to come in and because you are in USA so there are no travel restrictions of travel from USA to Canada. So for you I would say you can come and you should come before your COPR expires.

I did say about the risk of virus and all, but she was adamant that there are no restrictions for your travel and you should come.

So.. I guess this is a clear answer for anyone where the home country has no lockdown.
no it is NOT a clear answer, it's the agents opinion and this whole interaction is not confirmed and NOT official guidance. The CLEAR thing to do is STAY HOME. It doesn't matter if your country is in a lockdown or not. You WILL get your PR visas extended regardless of why you didn't land before your visa expired.

STOP giving advice on landing in covid-19. Everything you said on this subject has been useless and you probably have already caused enough panic.

Reactions: Adam261

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
no it is NOT a clear answer, it's the agents opinion and this whole interaction is not confirmed and NOT official guidance. The CLEAR thing to do is STAY HOME. It doesn't matter if your country is in a lockdown or not. You WILL get your PR visas extended regardless of why you didn't land before your visa expired.

STOP giving advice on landing in covid-19. Everything you said on this subject has been useless and you probably have already caused enough panic.
IRCC has said you can travel to Canada if you hold a valid COPR. The official guidance is to contact IRCC if you are PREVENTED FROM TRAVELLING due to Corvid 19. Unless your home country has shut down flights to Canada you are not prevented from travelling, so to paraphrase, the CLEAR thing to do is TRAVEL IF YOU CAN.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IRCC has said you can travel to Canada if you hold a valid COPR. The official guidance is to contact IRCC if you are PREVENTED FROM TRAVELLING due to Corvid 19. Unless your home country has shut down flights to Canada you are not prevented from travelling, so to paraphrase, the CLEAR thing to do is TRAVEL IF YOU CAN.
no the clear thing is to STAY HOME. The only CLER thing is your interpretation is just as USELESS.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are the one spreading inaccurate information. As I have already mentioned the message from IRCC is travel if you can. Please look at the post from @prusa who contacted IRCC. It is on page 204. They were told to travel.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/copr-and-coronavirus.681880/page-204
Don't jump back in with links like you have the proof. You have already caused enough panic. NO you are NOT supposed to travel. You have the option to but in no situation you should feel you are risking losing your visa or status by not traveling. For the 100th time STOP encouraging people to travel. Talking to IRCC on the phone is NOT a proof that you have to travel or risk losing your visa.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The IRCC advice does not say do not travel it simply says if you can travel then do so. If you cannot travel or feel not inclined to travel due to COVID then that is fine but send a web form to ensure IRCC are aware so there will be no issues with any expiry dates.

If the government wanted nobody to travel they would not have published exemptions leaving it up to an individual choice whether to travel or not but in not doing so there would be no negative impact should any visa expire.

The situation is evolving all the time even to extent they only recently adjusted their guidance to support not being inclined to travel due to COVID .So what someone here or an IRCC agent might say one day is potentially out of date the following day but ultimately everyone here assume is adult enough to make their own decisions not have a forum make decisions for them.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The IRCC advice does not say do not travel it simply says if you can travel then do so. If you cannot travel or feel not inclined to travel due to COVID then that is fine but send a web form to ensure IRCC are aware so there will be no issues with any expiry dates.

If the government wanted nobody to travel they would not have published exemptions leaving it up to an individual choice whether to travel or not but in not doing so there would be no negative impact should any visa expire.

The situation is evolving all the time even to extent they only recently adjusted their guidance to support not being inclined to travel due to COVID .So what someone here or an IRCC agent might say one day is potentially out of date the following day but ultimately everyone here assume is adult enough to make their own decisions not have a forum make decisions for them.
exactly

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@B65 is agreeing with what I have been saying. You should travel if you can travel. That has been the directives given out when people have enquired about whether they should travel. You are the one who has been giving out different advice than IRCC. People can make their own decisions so if they don’t want to travel they can wait and see whether they are granted an extension.

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
OK having decided I should travel I have found that AC are quoting some quite convoluted routings. The only flights that come close to making sense involve 3 legs and a connections delay of 18.5 hours at Toronto - basically overnight. Question is will I be able to check in to an airport hotel overnight or will I have to stay in the airport itself during that time?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
OK having decided I should travel I have found that AC are quoting some quite convoluted routings. The only flights that come close to making sense involve 3 legs and a connections delay of 18.5 hours at Toronto - basically overnight. Question is will I be able to check in to an airport hotel overnight or will I have to stay in the airport itself during that time?
If you exit the immigration/customs area into the arrivals hall then suspect you would be subject to 14 days isolation given You are no longer a transit passenger who is staying airside and not therefore entering the general population.. This is just my interpretation so you may have to read up on transit exemptions.

Airlines reservation systems unfortunately are not that sophisticated that they can easily react to any imposed transit guidelines so they still sell tickets that may not in fact be workable much same as impossible connections.. Obviously if Toronto is your first POE CBSA will be looking for an isolation plan and if in transit some proof of that plan being at your final destination which will highlight your need to exit the airport.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you flying out of India? If so the flight is likely going to get cancelled if in the near future. Would wait until the Indian airspace opens.

jefferson12

Apr 5, 2020
  • Expired COPR and PRV: If the applicant informs IRCC via the web form that they are unable or unwilling to travel after the expiration of their COPR and PRV, or if they are unable or unwilling to travel prior to expiration, officers are to re-open the application, and it should be brought forward for review in 90 days.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
  • Expired COPR and PRV: If the applicant informs IRCC via the web form that they are unable or unwilling to travel after the expiration of their COPR and PRV, or if they are unable or unwilling to travel prior to expiration, officers are to re-open the application, and it should be brought forward for review in 90 days.
Unwilling is subjective. You may asked to show why you can’t travel if numbers are relatively low in your country and travel is possible especiqly as some countries start going back to work. Extension will not go on forever if you are unwilling to travel.

jefferson12

Apr 5, 2020
Unwilling is subjective. You may asked to show why you can’t travel if numbers are relatively low in your country and travel is possible especiqly as some countries start going back to work. Extension will not go on forever if you are unwilling to travel.
You again with your negativity. Even if you are in a country with few cases, the worldwide recommendation is to Stay home. I believe that was exactly why they added the word unwilling. IRCC is being very clear. “Subjective” Come on, bud, cut the crap!