+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

experts: study permit while on visitor visa? what about this method?

spiff

Sep 8, 2012
Hello there.
I've been busy reading a lot of posts on this website on this topic.
Now i stumbled across something really interessting on ( www mun ca ) and
I would love to hear an expert opinion on this!

"Q: I am here on a visitor visa since my program of study was less than 6 months, but I want to extend my period of study, what should I do?

A: You will need to apply for a study permit before you can extend your period of study. To do this, you must send your application for a study permit outside of Canada (unless you are married or dependent on an individual who has temporary status in Canada). CIC recommends that applications should be sent to the nearest Canadian Consulate. If you plan to and you are legally allowed to stay in Canada while your application is being processed, this means sending your application to the US. Upon approval of your application, you will be mailed a letter which you must take to the Canadian Port of Entry (POE) at the border (or if you happen to be traveling by air back into Canada, you may present the letter to an immigration official at the POE at the airport) where you will be issued a study permit. Students must not go directly to the airport in their hometown/city expecting to be issued a study permit. Local CIC offices will also not issue the study permit as it must be done at a POE. You do not need to mail your application to the US. You may be able to go home and apply from there. If you are unsure, you should contact the ISA to make an appointment with an advisor to discuss your options."

I think a problem might be the 'and you are legally allowed to stay in Canada while your application is being processed,'
but if someone is in canada on a visitor visa (as the Q: states) this never (or always?) should be the case... ???

Jd5

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

spiff said:
Hello there.
I've been busy reading a lot of posts on this website on this topic.
Now i stumbled across something really interessting on ( www mun ca ) and
I would love to hear an expert opinion on this!

"Q: I am here on a visitor visa since my program of study was less than 6 months, but I want to extend my period of study, what should I do?

A: You will need to apply for a study permit before you can extend your period of study. To do this, you must send your application for a study permit outside of Canada (unless you are married or dependent on an individual who has temporary status in Canada). CIC recommends that applications should be sent to the nearest Canadian Consulate. If you plan to and you are legally allowed to stay in Canada while your application is being processed, this means sending your application to the US. Upon approval of your application, you will be mailed a letter which you must take to the Canadian Port of Entry (POE) at the border (or if you happen to be traveling by air back into Canada, you may present the letter to an immigration official at the POE at the airport) where you will be issued a study permit. Students must not go directly to the airport in their hometown/city expecting to be issued a study permit. Local CIC offices will also not issue the study permit as it must be done at a POE. You do not need to mail your application to the US. You may be able to go home and apply from there. If you are unsure, you should contact the ISA to make an appointment with an advisor to discuss your options."

I think a problem might be the 'and you are legally allowed to stay in Canada while your application is being processed,'
but if someone is in canada on a visitor visa (as the Q: states) this never (or always?) should be the case... ???
so what's the deal here. You are a visitor with a valid visa and you can apply for a study permit outside of Canada while you are still in Canada. Simple!

spiff

Sep 8, 2012
my deal is:
I thought applying for a study permit while staying as a visitor in Canada is only possible for people with a TRP. Anyone with a TRV on the other hand would have to leave the country first, then apply, then wait for the letter of introduction, then come back.

Jd5

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

spiff said:
my deal is:
I thought applying for a study permit while staying as a visitor in Canada is only possible for people with a TRP. Anyone with a TRV on the other hand would have to leave the country first, then apply, then wait for the letter of introduction, then come back.

On TRV, you do not need to leave country to apply for SP, but you have to apply outside.

schoolgirl22

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-10-2012
IELTS Request
Not required, submitted TOEFL ibt 110/120
Med's Request
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
Passport Req..
Submitted with application
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2012
Jd5 said:
Hi,

On TRV, you do not need to leave country to apply for SP, but you have to apply outside.
Hi. I'm in Canada on a multiple entry visitor's visa. Do I have to go back to my home country to apply for my study permit? Can I just send my application to the US?

spiff

Sep 8, 2012
according to "If you plan to and you are legally allowed to stay in Canada while your application is being processed, this means sending your application to the US" it should work, but it might depend on your homecountry...

Jd5

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

spiff said:
according to "If you plan to and you are legally allowed to stay in Canada while your application is being processed, this means sending your application to the US" it should work, but it might depend on your homecountry...

Chances are very rare. Most likely a direction to apply in your home country.

schoolgirl22

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-10-2012
IELTS Request
Not required, submitted TOEFL ibt 110/120
Med's Request
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
Passport Req..
Submitted with application
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2012
Yeah, I already have tickets to go home anyway. It will not be difficult to cross the border because I have a US visa as well. But yeah, I think it's safer to apply in one's home country.