+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Experts only] 3 years permit expiring only in 1 year coz of passport validity

yr97

Apr 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I work in quebec for an IT company (LMO exempt) since last year. My work permit should've been issued for 3 years (according to my contract), unfortunately it was made valid only to the expiry date of my passport (august 2010), same thing with my TRV. My CAQ was issued for 3 years with no problems.
Actually, when I got the work permit at the airport it was issued for 3 years, but I asked the officer if that was correct and he said no, so he took it, gave me a one that expires till my passport does..

I got my passport renewed (same passport, extension stamped), do I have to go through the normal work permit extension process ? (fill an application and send it to Alberta, pay the fees, wait for a couple of months ?) or can I just go to a cic office or a point of entry and reclaim the remaining days of my work permit ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you got your work permit on entry (because you are visa exempt?) then you should be able to go to a port of entry again with your new passport, CAQ, job offer letter etc. and get your work permit extended another 2 years although you might have to pay the fee again.

If you want to make sure before you spend time and money on going to the border, you can call CIC or go to your local CIC office and ask there. Of course you also have the option of applying to Vegreville.

yr97

Apr 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the reply dude. I just called the CIC and I learned that I can actually apply for the extension online and I don't have to send anything to Vegreville or go to a port of entry. All I have to do i just scan the required supporting documents (My initial contract, my passport, my CAQ) when submitting the online application and they are going to send me a new work permit with the remaining 2 years. That's cool, though I still have to fill the online application, pay the fees, and probably would be put in the same waiting queue (about 40 days or so).

On a side note, I'm a CSQ holder and have already applied for PR at buffalo, should I notify the buffalo office with any of these changes (new work permit validity, new passport validity ? ) Or these are not really considered "change of status" like the case with the address or the marital status (since they are both still valid). And if that's required, is it gonna add an extra delay to my PR application ?