+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experiences / tips on applying for PRTD by email during COVID?

trecht

Jun 24, 2019
I need to apply for a PRTD by email and want to make sure I'm doing it right. Has anyone gone through this process?

I'm a new permanent resident, currently living in the US. I entered Canada in March to activate my permanent residency (on the very last day you could still enter without restrictions, flew out the same day) and gave a local friend's address for the PR card, but it hasn't arrived yet, and it looks like they might not be processing them right now because of COVID. I'm planning to move to Canada within the next few months, so I'll need a PRTD. There's a page with instructions here.

Some questions:
1. If everything is by email, how will I get the PRTD? Normally it's affixed to the passport, if I understand correctly.
2. Should I scan just the first page of my passport? All pages?
3. The document checklist asks for "photocopies of supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligations", but I don't have any such documents since I only spent a few hours in Canada. Should I attach some kind of explanation?
4. I don't know when I'll be moving. It could be as early as September or as late as January. Does the PRTD come with an expiry date? Can I ask for it to be valid at least through January?
5. Any idea how long it'll take to get the PRTD?

Thanks for any help!

nananxyz

Star Member
Dec 18, 2009
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-03-2010
Doc's Request.
19-05-2010
Nomination.....
04-09-2010
AOR Received.
18-09-2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with Full documents to New Delhi
File Transfer...
27-05-2010
Med's Request
08-11-2012
Med's Done....
06-12-2012
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
08-11-2012 PP Reached NDVO on 26-12-12
VISA ISSUED...
Hope to receive soon
LANDED..........
Hope to receive soon
I just applied for this through email for my wife and son in India....

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I need to apply for a PRTD by email and want to make sure I'm doing it right. Has anyone gone through this process?

I'm a new permanent resident, currently living in the US. I entered Canada in March to activate my permanent residency (on the very last day you could still enter without restrictions, flew out the same day) and gave a local friend's address for the PR card, but it hasn't arrived yet, and it looks like they might not be processing them right now because of COVID. I'm planning to move to Canada within the next few months, so I'll need a PRTD. There's a page with instructions here.

Some questions:
1. If everything is by email, how will I get the PRTD? Normally it's affixed to the passport, if I understand correctly.
3. The document checklist asks for "photocopies of supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligations", but I don't have any such documents since I only spent a few hours in Canada. Should I attach some kind of explanation?
4. I don't know when I'll be moving. It could be as early as September or as late as January. Does the PRTD come with an expiry date? Can I ask for it to be valid at least through January?

Thanks for any help!
Are you going by land or air?

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
My PRTD was stolen, so I've applied for another one. The VAC was theoretically closed (it says they are online), so I submitted it by email. I got an email after from the VAC saying they are open for PRTDs, so we'll see how it goes.

I sent an email with all my documents on Wednesday (Oct 21 2020). They may deny me because I'm currently in Canada. By the time they process it I won't be in Canada, so it could go either way.

Fee was paid online.

trecht, you don't need a PRTD to re-enter Canada. You have entry by right, the only thing that's changed is that you can't fly on the basis of your US passport anymore (because the border's closed to US Citizens in general). If you try to fly, you will be likely denied (as I recently was). I rented a car, drove, and entered without difficulty, because my status (like yours) is a separate matter from your documents.

You're simply an undocumented PR, but once you get to the border you are fine.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
Some questions:
They will likely mail it to you to affix it to the passport.

Generally, the first page and any relevant pages is sufficient. For Americans especially, there are often very few stamps, as you can use a NEXUS or a Passport Card.

Your COPR shows you meet the residency obligations, as it would be impossible for you not to at this point.
It can be valid for up to 1 year, and can be a single entry or multiple entry. If you have not applied yet, it's better to ask for a 1 year multiple entry due to COVID.
Thanks for any help!
They are generally fast. If you go through a VAC, it's a couple weeks normally. I would imagine it's similar.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018

Some questions:
Thanks for any help!
Hello,

I am in a similar situation like you. I am a PR, but my PR card was not processed (due to some reason). I am currently based in USA, and just applied for PRTD via email last week for an estimated move date of ~mid-January 2021. My understanding is you need to apply for PRTD via email. Once it is approved, you will need to send your passport to VFS global and they will forward your passport to VAC center (either in NYC or in LA).

Did you receive PRTD approval confirmation from IRCC yet? How long did they take to approve your PRTD via email? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ajeya

trecht

Jun 24, 2019
Hello,

I am in a similar situation like you. I am a PR, but my PR card was not processed (due to some reason). I am currently based in USA, and just applied for PRTD via email last week for an estimated move date of ~mid-January 2021. My understanding is you need to apply for PRTD via email. Once it is approved, you will need to send your passport to VFS global and they will forward your passport to VAC center (either in NYC or in LA).

Did you receive PRTD approval confirmation from IRCC yet? How long did they take to approve your PRTD via email? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ajeya
Hi,

I ended up not needing the PRTD as my PR card arrived in time. Sorry I can't help. You might try to contact immigration and find out what is causing the processing delay and when you can expect your PR card.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hi,

I ended up not needing the PRTD as my PR card arrived in time. Sorry I can't help. You might try to contact immigration and find out what is causing the processing delay and when you can expect your PR card.
Thanks for your reply. I landed in Canada back in March 2020, when I gave my Canadian mailing address. But apparently, this was not captured in their system, and hence the PR card was never processed and mailed to me. Hence, I am requiring to apply for my PRTD before I can apply for PR card again.

-Ajeya

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
PRTD by mail came through.

Had to use a VAC in Los Angeles. Took a few days for the passport request, then it was couriered both ways.
Took about a week.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Just did PRTD by mail. Had to use a VAC in Los Angeles. Took a few days for the passport request, then it was couriered both ways.
Took about a week.
Hi @kathysrazor
You mean you sent your document via email to IRCC (email: IRCC.COVIDPRTD-TVRPCOVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca )? Upon approval from IRCC, you sent your passport to VAC of LA (along with Fedex labels, consent form, etc.)? This is my understanding of the process during Covid times.