+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experiences flying to Canada with only CoPR and no PR card

Freshboi

Sep 13, 2018
Hey all,

Got my CoPR, waiting on the PR card. I'm a US citizen and I want to go to the US via air to visit family before the PR card arrives. My understanding is that airlines have a problem with this because they need to see a PR Card or PRTD in order to feel comfortable letting you on the plane and ensuring you won't be sent back on their dime. And to the airline, a CoPR is not sufficient.

I'm keen to hear experiences from people who have tried to do this despite it not being completely above board.

I do have a valid Canadian work permit and honestly what I'd like to do is just tell the airline that I'm returning to Canada as a worker if they ask. I travelled to and from the US several times while my PR application was processing and no one ever asked me anything, so I'm not particularly worried.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
US citizens can get to Canada with a US passport, as noted above. No PR card nor PRTD needed. When you check in to the flight, select "US citizen" for travel documents.

Reactions: Freshboi

NHLNFL

Nov 21, 2018
Visa Office......
Vancouver
App. Filed.......
14-12-2018
AOR Received.
13/02/2019
Med's Request
18/02/2019
Med's Done....
25/02/2019
LANDED..........
03-10-2019
Hey i don't want to hijack your post but figured I'd ask.

How were your experiences returning to Canada while your application was in progress? I'm assuming you stated that because you were an inland applicant because outland applicants usually shouldn't have issues anyway.

What documents did you carry on you and at what times during the application?

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
Hey all,

Got my CoPR, waiting on the PR card. I'm a US citizen and I want to go to the US via air to visit family before the PR card arrives. My understanding is that airlines have a problem with this because they need to see a PR Card or PRTD in order to feel comfortable letting you on the plane and ensuring you won't be sent back on their dime. And to the airline, a CoPR is not sufficient.

I'm keen to hear experiences from people who have tried to do this despite it not being completely above board.

I do have a valid Canadian work permit and honestly what I'd like to do is just tell the airline that I'm returning to Canada as a worker if they ask. I travelled to and from the US several times while my PR application was processing and no one ever asked me anything, so I'm not particularly worried.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

You definitely need a PR card or PRTD to return to Canada.

Freshboi

Sep 13, 2018
Hey i don't want to hijack your post but figured I'd ask.

How were your experiences returning to Canada while your application was in progress? I'm assuming you stated that because you were an inland applicant because outland applicants usually shouldn't have issues anyway.

What documents did you carry on you and at what times during the application?
I left Canada 3 times while it was in progress. Twice to the US and once to Europe. Never had any issues. I just brought my passport and work permit with me.

Reactions: NHLNFL

Freshboi

Sep 13, 2018
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

You definitely need a PR card or PRTD to return to Canada.
Notice the language here: "You must apply for a permanent resident travel document. Otherwise you may not be able to travel to Canada".

it doesn't say that you can't return to or enter Canada, because if you're a PR you always have the right to enter Canada. So it's not true that you definitely need a PR card or PRTD to return to Canada. The trouble comes with if the airline will let you on the plane. That's the part I'm interested in. I'm betting that they won't bother me about that though. They just say that you "must" apply for a PRTD here because that's the only way they can guarantee the airline with let you board.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Notice the language here: "You must apply for a permanent resident travel document. Otherwise you may not be able to travel to Canada".

it doesn't say that you can't return to or enter Canada, because if you're a PR you always have the right to enter Canada. So it's not true that you definitely need a PR card or PRTD to return to Canada. The trouble comes with if the airline will let you on the plane. That's the part I'm interested in. I'm betting that they won't bother me about that though. They just say that you "must" apply for a PRTD here because that's the only way they can guarantee the airline with let you board.
The airline won't have any issue. Don't mention your PR status.

NHLNFL

Nov 21, 2018
Visa Office......
Vancouver
App. Filed.......
14-12-2018
AOR Received.
13/02/2019
Med's Request
18/02/2019
Med's Done....
25/02/2019
LANDED..........
03-10-2019
I left Canada 3 times while it was in progress. Twice to the US and once to Europe. Never had any issues. I just brought my passport and work permit with me.
Okay great. And did you tell them you are an inland applicant? Did they ask your reason to enter Canada, etc?

Im just curious because as a US citizen I plan on leaving for 10 days to the US for pleasure purposes. What if it's without an OWP?

I know nothing guarantees reentry anyway. I wonder if I have a valid visitor record that will still be valid when I return as well. Im not sure when I'll receive the work permit.

Anyway others have said you are good with a US passport. COPR is not required for land travel by private transport as well if that is an option