+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experience with work permit at POE

fv-br

Star Member
Nov 3, 2017
Hi, I hope this information is useful for somebody in the future.

I got, yesterday (nov 9, a thursday), my work permit and my wife got her OWP at Emerson/MB POE.

I arrived at the US side at 10:30am, and everything went smooth, everybody very polite. They gave our flag pole paper and then we headed back to Canada.
At Canada, the officer was really nice, and only asked for our marriage certificate, the LMIA and our current permits (I had a student permit, and my wife had a OWP, both were still valid). Then asked us to pay our fees (155 for me and 255 for my wife) and gave our permits. The full 2 years of work permit.

That was it! The whole process was easier than I expected.

Reactions: Antoshka

ramonvilla

Nov 3, 2017

I got, yesterday (nov 9, a thursday), my work permit and my wife got her OWP at Emerson/MB POE.

I arrived at the US side at 10:30am, and everything went smooth, everybody very polite. They gave our flag pole paper and then we headed back to Canada.
At Canada, the officer was really nice, and only asked for our marriage certificate, the LMIA and our current permits (I had a student permit, and my wife had a OWP, both were still valid). Then asked us to pay our fees (155 for me and 255 for my wife) and gave our permits. The full 2 years of work permit.

Hey man, great to hear that!

Did your application fall under the Global Talent Stream Program? My employer and I fit the requirements of this program and we're waiting for our positive LMIA (three weeks since we've applied). After that, I need to get my work permit, but I've heard that it's taking months to be processed (instead of 2 weeks!).

Do you know if it's possible for my wife and I to get the permit when entering Canada?

fv-br

Star Member
Nov 3, 2017
Hey man, great to hear that!

Did your application fall under the Global Talent Stream Program? My employer and I fit the requirements of this program and we're waiting for our positive LMIA (three weeks since we've applied). After that, I need to get my work permit, but I've heard that it's taking months to be processed (instead of 2 weeks!).

Do you know if it's possible for my wife and I to get the permit when entering Canada?
Yes, my LMIA is from GTSP.

That was the reason I went to the border, I didn't want to wait for months if I could just drive there.

You should be getting your LMIA soon if everything is alright, I got mine in 4 or 5 weeks, can't remember.

Good luck

ramonvilla

Nov 3, 2017
But you can't do this at the airport, right? Just arrive by plane and expect they'll give you the permit at the immigration procedure?

fv-br

Star Member
Nov 3, 2017
But you can't do this at the airport, right? Just arrive by plane and expect they'll give you the permit at the immigration procedure?
Yes, you can. A friend of mine did it with a GTSP LMIA. You must be arriving from an international flight though.

Of course the officer could deny your visa if, for example, he requests a document from you and you don't have it. At the airport the officer requested a lot of documents from my friend, while at the land border the officer only requested my LMIA and marriage certificate. That is obviously not always true, just sharing my experience.

ramonvilla

Nov 3, 2017
Wow, didn't know that. Would it be possible for you to put me in contact with this friend of yours? Is he a member of this forum too?

yash.mojagar

Oct 21, 2017

Hi Dear,

My agent will going to apply from TRV to work visa at POE.

So I want to ask is it possible for Indian? Having TRV It could be possible that stamping at canada airport for 2 year work permit visa when you land .

Thanks in advance

fv-br

Star Member
Nov 3, 2017
Hi Dear,

My agent will going to apply from TRV to work visa at POE.

So I want to ask is it possible for Indian? Having TRV It could be possible that stamping at canada airport for 2 year work permit visa when you land .

Thanks in advance
Being from India, you can't do it. The rule clearly states that you must be from a visa exempt country.

"You can only apply for a work permit when you enter Canada if you don't need a visitor visa. An officer will check that you meet the requirements of the permit you are applying for."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=171&top=17

There is a way to do it, though. There is an exception. You must have a valid permit (study or work) and be arriving from the US or Saint Pierre.

For example: I am from Brazil, which is not a visa exempt country just like India. At the time that I went to the POE to get my work permit, I had a valid study permit, then I crossed the US border by car, then came back to Canada.

Reactions: yash.mojagar

yash.mojagar

Oct 21, 2017
Being from India, you can't do it. The rule clearly states that you must be from a visa exempt country.

"You can only apply for a work permit when you enter Canada if you don't need a visitor visa. An officer will check that you meet the requirements of the permit you are applying for."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=171&top=17

There is a way to do it, though. There is an exception. You must have a valid permit (study or work) and be arriving from the US or Saint Pierre.

For example: I am from Brazil, which is not a visa exempt country just like India. At the time that I went to the POE to get my work permit, I had a valid study permit, then I crossed the US border by car, then came back to Canada.
My agent told me that after getting TRV, you will get work permit(LMIA)approved before flight but stamping process will going to be there in canada airport.

I am confused how they will going to do?