+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experience when returning to Canada after soft landing

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by bluecloud789, Jul 7, 2019.

  1. Hi guys,
    Did any of you have a soft landing, return to your home country and then back to Canada to settle after a few months (with valid PR card) ? Could you share your "2nd landing" experience? for example: were you asked any specific question at the airport? Is there anything in particular that I need to be aware of?
    In my soft landing, the border agent didn't ask me for the bsf186, do I need to prepare this form again when returning to Canada?
    Many thanks!
  2. Yes, you submit your BSF186 / BSF186A forms when you arrive for the first time that you intend to remain to settle for at least one year.
    There is no legal time limit on becoming a settler after the soft landing. You must request to go through Customs to get them processed.
  3. I too did this with my wife's PR. Nothing special on the second landing at all. We did our 'goods' forms on the soft landing, but if you haven't done these yet, then do them on the landing where you are settling for good. Just mention it to the CBSA guys and they will direct you to secondary processing
  4. Worth mentioning that once you have a PR Card, when you arrive at a Canadian airport from an international flight, most airports now have those annoying 'customs kiosks' where you fill in your declaration. Note that it is the PR Card that you scan and NOT your passport.
    kanu and bluecloud789 like this.
  5. Many thanks for your advice :)
  6. I did this today but the officer said (at secondary processing) that because I soft landed almost 2 years ago, I can no longer provide the BSF186 form as a settler. I didn't understand it as I told him I was overseas doing my Masters when i got my PR and I'm entering as a settler only today. I'm really worried as I have alot of boxes of personal items coming and worried that I will have to pay taxes for them.
  7. There are several such cases reported of officers unaware of settler definition. Your best recourse is to ask for it to be escalated to a senior officer/supervisor.

    You do have to show proof that you stayed outside of Canada in those 2 years.
  8. Hi subodhp - many thanks for this! It was surprising that not one but 2-3 of them had no idea and kept telling me the same thing. So I plan to go back to the airport CBSA office to inform them of this and bring my forms with me. Can you advise what to do after I get the papers stamped? My boxes are due to arrive next week.

    Thanks so much!
  9. Follow suggestion from https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/moving-furniture-into-canada.654561/#post-8178485

    Do update here on what happened

Share This Page