+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experience sharing of landing at YVR

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
My wife and I are CoPR holders in Vancouver and we need to go to Seattle for urgent issues so finally we decided to book a flight to Seattle, staying there for 2-3 days, and then come back to landing. The overall process is much smoother than we expected. TL;DR: It is possible for inland CoPR holder with valid US visa to take a round-trip flight to US and land PR status.

Disclamer: This is just based on our own investigation and experience. Please consult your immigration lawyer for any legal advice.

We have US L1/L2 visas and we took a YVR-SEA flight on Saturday morning and at Vancouver's CBP checkpoint, no COVID-related question was asked. The officer just asked where we live, the reason of traveling to US and why we were in Canada. Then he recorded our biometric information and let us pass. This is somehow in my expectation because the US-Canada border closure, under the interpretation of US, only applies to the land border. The air travel from Canada to US is not restricted at all.

When we took our flight on Monday from Seattle to Vancouver, the Delta Airlines agent scanned our PR Visas and passports, confirmed that we live in Canada, then printed our boarding passes.

After landing at YVR, the first checkpoint is to fill a federal form of COVID-19 questionnaire. It can be done either on paper or using mobile app ArriveCan. It asked about our address and phone number. All questions are yes/no question in this questionnaire, mainly about self-declaration of COVID symptons and confiming the availability of quarantine residence for 14 days.

After completing this questionnaire, we then headed the main lobby of border checkpoint. Before the checkpoint there are many self-serving machines that people declare of what they are bringing into Canada. YVR redesigned the system so now it also asks for COVID-19 symptons etc. Again these are just yes/no questions for self reporting. One thing to note is that, for the purpose of entering Canada, you need to select Immigrant, not work/study. At the checkpoint, we said we are landing PR and the only question the officer asked was where we travelled from. He didn't ask any other question to check if the travel is essential. We showed the officer our passports, CoPRs and the receipt we got from the machine, he then told us we need to quarantine for 14 days and the fines and punishments for violation. He confirmed with us that we have proper place to quarantine and proper ways to get groceries and medicines. Then he gave us a handout of quarantine information and instructed us to go to the immigration office after the checkpoint.

At the immigration office, we gave the officer our passports and CoPRs, they confirmed the information on CoPR with us and let us sign on the CoPRs. A mailing address is also left on the CoPR for PR card shipping. The officer told us it may take more than 3 months to get the PR card but the exact time is not clear.

So now we successfully entered Canada and landed PR. There is yet another provincial checkpoint which asked again about COVID symptons, place to quarantine, and also asked how we would travel to our destination. We parked our car in YVR parkade so it won't be neccessary to take public transport. Note that you will need to fill a provincial form as well and leave qurantine addess and phone number and BC government is supposed to make follow-up calls during the quarantine period. Don't miss calls otherwise the police may come to your doorstep (according to some news...).

Then we exited the airport and drove home. Now I am typing this post and starting the 14-day quarantine. We are not allowed to step outside our door step so we will order everything online.

Hope this post will help those who want to land PR during this pandemic. My take is for CBSA officer, landing is essential travel for CoPR holders coming from outside Canada. If you come from US, you don't need anything else. If you come from rest of the world, you may need to satisfy one of the exemptions to board on a flight.

ARookie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
That's really helpful. Thank you!
Was your COPR issued before or after March 18 BTW?

Last edited:

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
That's really helpful. Thank you!
Was your COPR issued before or March 18 BTW?
My CoPR was approved on Mar 12. But as far as I know, the border restriction for travelers coming from US is not based on the approval date of the CoPR. Only coming from countries other than US need to care about the approval date.

ARookie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
My CoPR was approved on Mar 12. But as far as I know, the border restriction for travelers coming from US is not based on the approval date of the CoPR. Only coming from countries other than US need to care about the approval date.
Oh, thanks a lot!

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
Received a follow-up call from Government of Canada today, asking if we are staying at home, if there are any visitor, how we get our necessities, and how we travelled home. They are really enforcing the quarantine order, not like their counterpart in US. Kudos to Canada and BC!

ARookie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
Can I ask you a follow-up question? How long did it take you from getting off the plane to getting out of the airport at Vancouver? Thanks!

Last edited:

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
Can I ask you a follow-up question? How long did it take you from getting off the plane to getting out of the airport at Vancouver? Thanks!
There's another flight arriving Vancouver a little bit earlier than ours, so there's a line-up at the checkpoints. The PR landing process also need to wait in queue. Roughly we spent an hour at the airport (from getting off the plane to get into my car). A tip to move faster is to complete federal and provincial forms online. The federal one is available in ArriveCAN app, and the provincial one is at https://travelscreening.gov.bc.ca/

ARookie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
There's another flight arriving Vancouver a little bit earlier than ours, so there's a line-up at the checkpoints. The PR landing process also need to wait in queue. Roughly we spent an hour at the airport (from getting off the plane to get into my car). A tip to move faster is to complete federal and provincial forms online. The federal one is available in ArriveCAN app, and the provincial one is at https://travelscreening.gov.bc.ca/
That's really nice of you! Thanks again!

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
Got another call from Service BC yesterday, asking if we need any help and if we got our groceries. And they will give a follow-up call in five days.

Oct 16, 2018
@harrysummer Did they ask you for photographs for your PR card? Also, with ease of wait period, does MSP starts for you from day1 or there's an appointment you'd need to take?

Thanks!

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
@harrysummer Did they ask you for photographs for your PR card? Also, with ease of wait period, does MSP starts for you from day1 or there's an appointment you'd need to take?

Thanks!
They didn't ask for new photos. The two photos were sent to IRCC when they requested my passport.

After receiving CoPR, I applied on Health Insurance BC with the unsigned CoPR and got MSP coverage letter. So I already get MSP covered before landing.

Oct 16, 2018
They didn't ask for new photos. The two photos were sent to IRCC when they requested my passport.

After receiving CoPR, I applied on Health Insurance BC with the unsigned CoPR and got MSP coverage letter. So I already get MSP covered before landing.
Thanks for your prompt response! Does it mean that they provide you MSP coverage immediately currently?