+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experience or skilled worker class application

lzena

Aug 23, 2010
I need some direction please. We can either apply today under the federal skilled class or wait four months and apply under the experience class. Is it worth it to wait (there seems to be less paperwork) or is it better to apply now?

It might take me four months to get reference letters for the last 10 years of employment...

Also, if my husband is applying for the skilled worker class, do I also need 10 years of reference letters? Or does that only apply to him?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I would say, it depends on whether your husband qualifies based on the list of occupations or on arranged employment.

The arranged employment class, if you are currently working in Canada, is a bit precarious because
"your temporary work permit must be valid both when you apply for a permanent resident visa and when the visa is issued." In other words, if your husband is here on a TWP that needs to be renewed before you actually get the PR visa, if for some reason it is not renewed, you loose your eligibility.

The CEC is a bit more secure because even if you loose the TWP and have to leave Canada, once you qualify, your eligibility remains intact, as long as you apply before or within a year of leaving Canada. And yes, the application is a lot easier.

Depending on your resources, you can apply to both if you want.

You may also want to look into your Provincial Nominee Program.