+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experience on Off-Campus Wrk Prmt, after graduation under CEC.

saurabh54

Star Member
Nov 16, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
Have a question, kindly help me out, as i have very limited time left.

Visa Details
Student Visa & Permit - Dec12-March14
Co-Op permit - June13-March14
OCWP - July13-March14
Completed 1 yr PGDM from GBC on 13 Dec, 13(8 months studies + 4mnths Co-op)- Received PGDM dated 13 Dec,13 in Jan

Working Full-time on OCWP from 20 Nov, 13 - Present, on NOC Class B job, code1223 in Downtown Toronto (As i am eligible to work full-time after completion of my program, as per CEC website)

Thinking to apply for PGWP in Feb14(will be getting it for 12 months i.e. Feb14 to Feb15-expected)

Please help me out to understand, whether my exp after 13 Dec,13 till Feb,14(near 3 mnths) will be considered under post graduation CEC under which a person need to have 12 months working exp in Canada with proper authorization to apply for his PR.

As per CEC Website
"have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,
have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization"

CEC Helpline
: Your exp will be counted towards 12 months exp belt as it is under Skilled Class B. and you are gaining it with proper authorization.

My Immigration Lawyer: Only exp on PGWP will be counted under CEC.

If only PGWP exp is to be counted then i would only be having 12 months to gain 12 mnths exp. and then how would i be able to apply for my PR, do i have to leave the country - Kindly Suggest.

Lawyer Suggestion(Sounds Fishy to me): You have to get a LMO.

honeysingh

Feb 20, 2013
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What your Lawyer said is true, You need to gain 12 Months of Experience only on PGWP. The Experience from Dec 13 till you receive the PGWP will not be considered under CEC.

Further more they may even consider your experience from your Graduation Date, if it is after you receive PGWP.

You have an option of looking towards Provincial Nominee Programs (or) employer who is willing to do LMO before ending your workpermit (or) you'lll have to apply from your home country after you gain 12 months of experience.

Nikki30588

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Here's what it says in the manual, "Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g. work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits)." Key words being a full-time student working on an off-campus work permit.
If you have gained that experience on your off-campus work permit after you graduated and while making the transition to your post graduate work permit, I suppose you can give it a shot and explain your situation in a letter.
I suppose it's worth a shot. However, this is your call.
Good luck!

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
What your lawyer said is correct in a way if your OCWP was not valid when you applied for PGWP.

I has same issue:

Graduation Date: December 14,2012
PGWP Received: 27th March, 2013

I started working in December 24, 2013 on valid OCWP. I was also having questions, and I thought it would be better to CIC. They told me if your OCWP was valid while you applied for PGWP, then experience will be taken into consideration because you were no longer full time student (graduated December 14, 2012), and you were having valid OCWP (allows you to work full-time when you are not a full-time student).

In short, if your OCWP was valid when you applied for PGWP then your experience can be counted as valid for CEC. No experience on co-op work permit will be taken into consideration. So your experience starts from December 14, 2013.

Phone no for CIC: 1-888-242-2100, and then press 1110

I think your Lawyer is trying to make money out of you.

Just say If you receive PGWP valid from March 27, 2014 - 26 March 2015, then you will get eligible to apply for PR in CEC on December 14,2014 because you graduated on December 13, 2013. If your PGWP is expiring when you file your PR, then you have to apply for BOWP. You can apply for BOWP with or without your AOR.

Hope this helps.

P.S. try to get in touch with another lawyer (don't mention what your previous lawyer told you, go in as you know nothing and see what that lawyer has to say and call CIC as well
:)

saurabh54

Star Member
Nov 16, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Honey, Nikki & Goku !

What your Lawyer said is true, You need to gain 12 Months of Experience only on PGWP. The Experience from Dec 13 till you receive the PGWP will not be considered under CEC.

Further more they may even consider your experience from your Graduation Date, if it is after you receive PGWP.

You have an option of looking towards Provincial Nominee Programs (or) employer who is willing to do LMO before ending your workpermit (or) you'lll have to apply from your home country after you gain 12 months of experience.
Just to clarify, i already graduated & received my diploma through mail with date 13 Dec,13 on PG Diploma from College. Only left with Convocation in June.(if i wish to attend)

saurabh54

Star Member
Nov 16, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here's what it says in the manual, "Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g. work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits)." Key words being a full-time student working on an off-campus work permit.
If you have gained that experience on your off-campus work permit after you graduated and while making the transition to your post graduate work permit, I suppose you can give it a shot and explain your situation in a letter.
I suppose it's worth a shot. However, this is your call.
Good luck!
I am in the same impression & got the same info, from CIC and another lawyer. I would be applying for my PGWP by 15 Feb,14

Nikki, Pls you also share your case. Thanks!

saurabh54

Star Member
Nov 16, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What your lawyer said is correct in a way if your OCWP was not valid when you applied for PGWP.

I has same issue:

Graduation Date: December 14,2012
PGWP Received: 27th March, 2013

I started working in December 24, 2013 on valid OCWP. I was also having questions, and I thought it would be better to CIC. They told me if your OCWP was valid while you applied for PGWP, then experience will be taken into consideration because you were no longer full time student (graduated December 14, 2012), and you were having valid OCWP (allows you to work full-time when you are not a full-time student).

In short, if your OCWP was valid when you applied for PGWP then your experience can be counted as valid for CEC. No experience on co-op work permit will be taken into consideration. So your experience starts from December 14, 2013.

Phone no for CIC: 1-888-242-2100, and then press 1110

I think your Lawyer is trying to make money out of you.

Just say If you receive PGWP valid from March 27, 2014 - 26 March 2015, then you will get eligible to apply for PR in CEC on December 14,2014 because you graduated on December 13, 2013. If your PGWP is expiring when you file your PR, then you have to apply for BOWP. You can apply for BOWP with or without your AOR.

Hope this helps.

P.S. try to get in touch with another lawyer (don't mention what your previous lawyer told you, go in as you know nothing and see what that lawyer has to say and call CIC as well
Smiley

I already cheked with CIC & Canadavisa laywer, he told me the same thing, it would be counted, as far as it is under Skills trade & u r not a FT student.

I will check once again, as if i dont know anything(as per ur suggestion)

Please clarify one more thing, i started my job from 20Nov(offer date as well), as last term was my co-op and i completed it early & started working FT under skilled job to make money(as i got offer).

Would it make any trouble at later, should i have to get another offer from my emp with date 14 Dec ?? - I only want my exp to be counted from 14 Dec & i am only considering my exp to be counted from 14DEC,13 under CEC.(Not from 20Nov).

Does the offer letter date makes any difference?

Please also share some details about your case & have you already applied for your PR & what's the status.

Thanks

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
I would say you get another offer letter dated December 14, 2013 to be on safe side.

Yes, Offer letter has a strong effect on your file.

I am going to apply on 28th of this month. Because I got eligible in Dec 2013 for NOC 1311, but since November 2013 CIC are not considering NOC 1311 for CEC. So, I will be applying in NOC 1212 as I got promotion on 24 Feb 2013.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
saurabh54 said:
Does the offer letter date makes any difference?
No, in most cases a job offer letter is of no value and is not included in the application.

When you are ready to apply, you need a Letter of Employment (some people here call it the experience letter, as opposed to the offer letter) that describes what you actually did do, not what you were hired to do or what you might do in the future. The letter of Employment has to be dated after you complete your experience.

The only situation when the job offer letter may be submitted as evidence is if your employer refuses to provide the letter of employment; even then, it is usually not enough to convince a VO that you actually performed those duties.

saurabh54

Star Member
Nov 16, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would say you get another offer letter dated December 14, 2013 to be on safe side.

I am going to apply on 28th of this month. Because I got eligible in Dec 2013 for NOC 1311, but since November 2013 CIC are not considering NOC 1311 for CEC. So, I will be applying in NOC 1212 as I got promotion on 24 Feb 2013.
I'll try to get another one, but m not sure, if i m gonna get it !!!

Wish you luck!!!

saurabh54

Star Member
Nov 16, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, in most cases a job offer letter is of no value and is not included in the application.

When you are ready to apply, you need a Letter of Employment (some people here call it the experience letter, as opposed to the offer letter) that describes what you actually did do, not what you were hired to do or what you might do in the future. The letter of Employment has to be dated after you complete your experience.

The only situation when the job offer letter may be submitted as evidence is if your employer refuses to provide the letter of employment; even then, it is usually not enough to convince a VO that you actually performed those duties.
Is Offer Letter n pay stubs are not sufficient ?
What are the things required to be on Letter of Emp.(Exp. Letter).
What other supporting docs required from the employer/job?

Further, as u r a VIP member, i would also be looking your suggestion on the main post, Thanks !!! (Whether exp on OCWP, after graduation n before PGWP counts under CEC)

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
Its better to add offer letter, acceptance letter, duty letter, Reference letter, etc to your file to make it strong. :)

Maxwell 12345

Jun 27, 2014
:) I would like to know was your application accepted under CEC..?
Goku said:

cee12345

Dec 23, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC in Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May-12-2014 (Received in Ottawa on May-14-2014)
Doc's Request.
Sent PCC on Sep-4-2014 (without any request from CIC)
AOR Received.
June-25-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Dec-22-2014
Med's Done....
Dec-23-2014 (by Dr. Gabor Lantos - Uploaded via eMedical on Jan-13-2015. ECAS updated to Medical Received on Jan-16-2015)
Passport Req..
March 23, 2015 at 9:37PM (ECAS Status changed to Decision Made on March 24, 2015)
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2015
LANDED..........
May 10, 2015
Only experience on PGWP will be counted.