+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experience letter question

GMoney

Jul 14, 2016
Hi All! I am in the process of collecting my experience letters (received ITA last month) and was hoping someone could help out with a question.

I have had 3 jobs. For my first job, which was several years ago, I have a very generic experience letter which I collected from them right after leaving the job. This letter provides my title at the time, dates of employment, and my salary - however it does not really mention my job duties. Since it has been a while since I left that job, I don't think I know anyone there to be able to get a detailed experience letter. It is a large, well known Fortune 500 company with operations in several countries including Canada.

For my most recent two jobs (including my current one), I should be able to get experience letters with details for dates of employment, job duties, salary, title etc.

My question is, what can I do to mitigate the fact that the experience letter of my first job does not mention my job duties? Can I write something about this in the personal statement? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
GMoney said:
Hi All! I am in the process of collecting my experience letters (received ITA last month) and was hoping someone could help out with a question.

I have had 3 jobs. For my first job, which was several years ago, I have a very generic experience letter which I collected from them right after leaving the job. This letter provides my title at the time, dates of employment, and my salary - however it does not really mention my job duties. Since it has been a while since I left that job, I don't think I know anyone there to be able to get a detailed experience letter. It is a large, well known Fortune 500 company with operations in several countries including Canada.

For my most recent two jobs (including my current one), I should be able to get experience letters with details for dates of employment, job duties, salary, title etc.

My question is, what can I do to mitigate the fact that the experience letter of my first job does not mention my job duties? Can I write something about this in the personal statement? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
If the last two job experience durations combined covers more than three years, that maxes you out on CRS points, then you won't need the reference letter for the first one.

GMoney

Jul 14, 2016
CanadaWeCome said:
If the last two job experience durations combined covers more than three years, that maxes you out on CRS points, then you won't need the reference letter for the first one.
Unfortunately the last two cover a little over 2.5 years and counting. Between my first job and my second job, I was in graduate school, which is why my first job is a several years ago now.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
GMoney said:
Unfortunately the last two cover a little over 2.5 years and counting. Between my first job and my second job, I was in graduate school, which is why my first job is a several years ago now.
In that case you either pursue your case to get a reference letter from the first employer, or apply (post ITA) after you complete 3 years of work experience.

But if your score is high enough to get an ITA now with 2.5 years of work experience, pls go ahead and do that, you can use the reference letter for 2.5 yrs only.

bitbytes0110

Nov 21, 2016
CanadaWeCome said:
In that case you either pursue your case to get a reference letter from the first employer, or apply (post ITA) after you complete 3 years of work experience.

But if your score is high enough to get an ITA now with 2.5 years of work experience, pls go ahead and do that, you can use the reference letter for 2.5 yrs only.
Hi CanadaWeCome,
I am in a similar situation, but in the process of filing my EOI. My current job gives me around 2.3 years of experience and I get 447 CRS points(currently enough to get an ITA). However if I include the paid internship and a 3 month job that I did long back (both countable), it adds to 3 years and I get 472 points. Like the above case I am not sure if I could get the proper experience letter from the previous employer. Since I could get an ITA with only 447 points (with 2 yrs exp), can I save myself from the pain of getting required documents from the previous companies ?

My other concerns are
1) will it affect my job experience column in my Job bank, thus affecting my job opportunities ?
2) Can I enter all my work experience in my EOI, but after ITA, can I only give the experience letters that I would like to claim points for or should I prove all my work experiences that I entered in my EOI?

Thanks !

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
bitbytes0110 said:
Hi CanadaWeCome,
I am in a similar situation, but in the process of filing my EOI. My current job gives me around 2.3 years of experience and I get 447 CRS points(currently enough to get an ITA). However if I include the paid internship and a 3 month job that I did long back (both countable), it adds to 3 years and I get 472 points. Like the above case I am not sure if I could get the proper experience letter from the previous employer. Since I could get an ITA with only 447 points (with 2 yrs exp), can I save myself from the pain of getting required documents from the previous companies ? A: Yes, seeing the draw trend, you can take a chance and wait, while trying to get the experience letters if possible.

My other concerns are
1) will it affect my job experience column in my Job bank, thus affecting my job opportunities ? A: No.
2) Can I enter all my work experience in my EOI, but after ITA, can I only give the experience letters that I would like to claim points for or should I prove all my work experiences that I entered in my EOI? A: That wouldn't help, since your points will be recalculated upon submission of application with reference letters, and if they find those missing reference letters for which you got points to get an ITA and then do not submit those letters, and the recalculated points fall below the cutoff for that draw, they'll reject your application as incomplete.

Thanks !

AT_1

Aug 7, 2016
Hi,

It might have been asked before and may sound ridiculous but am losing my sleep over it, so have to ask you experts.

I have a total of six plus years of experience outside Canada: full time.But around 2 years of the experience is running my own pvt ltd company in India.Now the documents required to prove self employment is getting taxing.eg bank statement (account was closed 5 years ago), bank transfers to vendors etc.
So I intend to drop this from my work experience and add to personal history.

I received my ITA on 25th Jan. Cut off for the draw was 453 and am at 458.Can i make these changes now? Is it allowed?

Even if i lose a few points on work ex, should still be way above the cut off for my round of invite.Is it allowed? or should i decline the ITA and wait for the next draw.Please help.Even my immigration consultant has no clear answers for this. :-\

Has someone done this in past?

Would really be grateful if this is sorted soon.TIA

bitbytes0110

Nov 21, 2016
CanadaWeCome said:
A: That wouldn't help, since your points will be recalculated upon submission of application with reference letters, and if they find those missing reference letters for which you got points to get an ITA and then do not submit those letters, and the recalculated points fall below the cutoff for that draw, they'll reject your application as incomplete.
I am highly doubtful about getting those reference letters from the previous employers. I cannot risk rejection, hence like you said I would like to try with 2.3 years experience. It would save a lot of hassle and looks safe too!
As far I understand, CRS points are ONLY useful for getting an ITA and a PR eventually. You can chose to declare and claim points only for what you think is needed and CIC wont see this as misrepresentation. And it wont affect you in anyways as it has nothing to do with the job bank profile, job opportunities or whatsoever ?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

ast1980

Dec 18, 2016
Hello CanadaWeCome,

In my current company, I have worked for 5 year 8 months and in the previous company i worked for around 8 month ( Few days short) - My work experience in current and previous company is under same NOC. Therefore, while filling up the EE Application form I mentioned " 6+ years of experience" under same NOC.

I will be able to secure "Reference Letter" from my Senior colleague in my current company (Work Experience is 5 year 8 months). However, I won't be able to get any reference letter from my previous company.

I read on CIC website and also in this forum + your comments that to secure highest points on Foreign experience, you need to have only 3 years of experience + CLB] 7 or higher. So if I am able to secure reference letter only from my current employer i.e. from one of my senior colleague only, will that suffice considering on the EE application I mentioned 6+ years of experience under same NOC?

Thanks and Regards,

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ast1980 said:
Hello CanadaWeCome,

In my current company, I have worked for 5 year 8 months and in the previous company i worked for around 8 month ( Few days short) - My work experience in current and previous company is under same NOC. Therefore, while filling up the EE Application form I mentioned " 6+ years of experience" under same NOC.

I will be able to secure "Reference Letter" from my Senior colleague in my current company (Work Experience is 5 year 8 months). However, I won't be able to get any reference letter from my previous company.

I read on CIC website and also in this forum + your comments that to secure highest points on Foreign experience, you need to have only 3 years of experience + CLB] 7 or higher. So if I am able to secure reference letter only from my current employer i.e. from one of my senior colleague only, will that suffice considering on the EE application I mentioned 6+ years of experience under same NOC?

Thanks and Regards,
if i'm not mistaken on EE profile there is only option which says foreign work experience for 3 yrs or more, i dont htink there is option for 6+, (i could be wrong, havent gone back to edit anything there in months) even if there is - just change it 5+ years, you wont extra points beyond the 3+ years experience anyway...

do not add any work experience you cannot backup with proper documents.

senior colleague has to be manager level - FYI, or best get it from HR

good luck

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
AT_1 said:
Hi,

It might have been asked before and may sound ridiculous but am losing my sleep over it, so have to ask you experts.

I have a total of six plus years of experience outside Canada: full time.But around 2 years of the experience is running my own pvt ltd company in India.Now the documents required to prove self employment is getting taxing.eg bank statement (account was closed 5 years ago), bank transfers to vendors etc.
So I intend to drop this from my work experience and add to personal history.

I received my ITA on 25th Jan. Cut off for the draw was 453 and am at 458.Can i make these changes now? Is it allowed? A: Yes, you can do that, provided, after reducing your work experience your recalculated CRS points (if reduced) does not go below the cutoff for that draw.

Even if i lose a few points on work ex, should still be way above the cut off for my round of invite.Is it allowed? or should i decline the ITA and wait for the next draw.Please help.Even my immigration consultant has no clear answers for this. :-\ A: As mentioned above, if it does not go below the cutoff, no need to decline the ITA. Hire me as your consultant, just kidding. ;)

Has someone done this in past?

Would really be grateful if this is sorted soon.TIA
All the Best.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
bitbytes0110 said:
I am highly doubtful about getting those reference letters from the previous employers. I cannot risk rejection, hence like you said I would like to try with 2.3 years experience. It would save a lot of hassle and looks safe too!
As far I understand, CRS points are ONLY useful for getting an ITA and a PR eventually. You can chose to declare and claim points only for what you think is needed and CIC wont see this as misrepresentation. And it wont affect you in anyways as it has nothing to do with the job bank profile, job opportunities or whatsoever ?
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Copacetic!

Nevertheless you need to declare everything if not under work history then under personal history lest it would be considered misrepresentation.

bitbytes0110

Nov 21, 2016
CanadaWeCome said:
Copacetic!

Nevertheless you need to declare everything if not under work history then under personal history lest it would be considered misrepresentation.
Thank you for confirming. :) But where how do I get to personal history column in my profile. I could find only "Personal Details" column which has drop down list containing name, DOB etc.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
ast1980 said:
Hello CanadaWeCome,

Thanks and Regards,
Easiest way would be to put only those work experiences for which you can produce reference letters from, the rest you can mention under personal history section when you get ITA. Anyway you cannot claim points for more than 3 years, even if you put 5-6 years of work experience.

Please ensure the colleagues are senior to you and have their contact details on the company letter head or from HR.