+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expediting visitor record extension

ec15

Jan 19, 2019
Currently the application for extension of visitor status seems to be taking over 3-4 months to be processed.

Is there a way that the application for extension of visitor status be expedited? Maybe by contacting local MP or submitting web-form?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Currently the application for extension of visitor status seems to be taking over 3-4 months to be processed.

Is there a way that the application for extension of visitor status be expedited? Maybe by contacting local MP or submitting web-form?
There is no way to expedite.

MPs cannot influence decisions or make your application process faster.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Considering how a visitor status only allows you to stay in Canada - and it is lost once you leave - a 3-4 month processing time, during which you benefit from implied status and are allowed to stay - doesn't seem to be an issue.

It may be an issue if you've confused visitor status with something that can be used to re-enter the country.

Reactions: irochka832

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Agree with scylla. There is no expediting and don't bother an MP's office with this.

ec15

Jan 19, 2019
Thanks for the answers.

Another question:
My parents are on implied status currently (they applied for visitor visa extension requesting extension for 6-months).

If they go to U.S. and re-enter Canada (by road), and the CBSA border officer grants them entry and few months stay in Canada. What should we do to the online application? Should we cancel the online application (since CBSA already granted them new entry)? or we should let the online application continue (and if that application later ask for medicals, do the medicals as well)?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thanks for the answers.

Another question:
My parents are on implied status currently (they applied for visitor visa extension requesting extension for 6-months).

If they go to U.S. and re-enter Canada (by road), and the CBSA border officer grants them entry and few months stay in Canada. What should we do to the online application? Should we cancel the online application (since CBSA already granted them new entry)? or we should let the online application continue (and if that application later ask for medicals, do the medicals as well)?
A bigger question is whether or not CBSA will allow them to re enter. They should, but they may not if it seems they're not genuine visitors and just entered the US to "reset the clock"

ec15

Jan 19, 2019
A bigger question is whether or not CBSA will allow them to re enter. They should, but they may not if it seems they're not genuine visitors and just entered the US to "reset the clock"
Yeah.
What do you suggest can be done (e.g.: what kind of documents to keep) to reduce the chances of having issues with CBSA at the time of re-entry?

ec15

Jan 19, 2019
Spend a considerable amount of time outside Canada to re establish links to the home country.
This clearly doesn’t answer the question for given scenario at all, and is a very generic answer.

I know it was a difficult question and varies a lot case by case, so I understand that only few experts will be able to answer that.

ec15

Jan 19, 2019
Why would you even risk a border run and potential refused entry when they can just wait out the answer on implied status.
Because they have PR application ongoing, and got biometrics request recently, and biometrics can’t be done inside Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Because they have PR application ongoing, and got biometrics request recently, and biometrics can’t be done inside Canada.
Would travel with receipt of PR payment for PGP just in case they question. Most CBSA will be sympathetic.

Reactions: ec15

ec15

Jan 19, 2019
Would travel with receipt of PR payment for PGP just in case they question. Most CBSA will be sympathetic.
Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if the ongoing PR application would be taken positively or negatively by CBSA officers.

I also asked it separately in https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/us-trip-while-on-implied-status.659890/#post-8250637

I also have Sponsor approval letter (and confirmation of Quebec CSQ application). Hope that should help.

Also they have flight booking to go back to home country in April 2020 (they have to attend a family function). Hopefully that should help (to indicate that they are genuine visitor, with dual intent) at the time of re-entry.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
This clearly doesn’t answer the question for given scenario at all, and is a very generic answer.

I know it was a difficult question and varies a lot case by case, so I understand that only few experts will be able to answer that.
You didn't give any details such as requesting metrics, so how can I give a better answer to a generic question?

manxcart

Nov 19, 2019
Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if the ongoing PR application would be taken positively or negatively by CBSA officers.

I also asked it separately in https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/us-trip-while-on-implied-status.659890/#post-8250637

I also have Sponsor approval letter (and confirmation of Quebec CSQ application). Hope that should help.

Also they have flight booking to go back to home country in April 2020 (they have to attend a family function). Hopefully that should help (to indicate that they are genuine visitor, with dual intent) at the time of re-entry.
ec15 - could you let us know how it goes when your parent go to US for bio metrics and come back? My parents probably will go through a similar situation in next month. We're also concerned if the boarder officer will allow my parent re-entering Canada without valid visitor record.