+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Existing Work permit and common law related query

harkaran333

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Hello friends,

I have endless amount of questions about some Canadian immigration rules and I don't know how to figure those out, Please help if possible.

I initially came to Canada as a Student in 2013. In Sept 2014 i changed my house to spend less on rent and lived with 9 exchange students at the same address (huge house). I started dating a girl from one of those students in May-2015 and she went back to her country in December 2015. We happened to have same address for approx 12-13 months with absences for sure. In June 2016 i applied my post graduate work permit for 3 years with relationship status Single, although i have been dating that girl since May 2015 (though she went back in December 2015)

My problem is that we lived at the same address with more people for around 13 months, we actually dated at that address for 6-7 months and have been keeping contact since then ( approx 1.5 years now), we have traveled together as well. We are still not sure about marriage or so but from other posts that i have posted on this website, it sounds like i was in a common law relationship all this while without knowing. I wasn't aware of this rule. Earlier it was around 3 years to show you are in common law and it is 12 months now.

Q1.) We never shared any bill/account etc nor any legal document that says we are in a common law, we just lived at a same address where the lease was on someone else's name. We all 9 people just had govt issued IDs for that address. Now I am worried that does this makes us a common law couple in the eyes of Canadian Law? and if yes how can i fix this on my existing work permit?

Q2.) in the future i was planning to Apply for PR as i have a decent job now but not mentioning her as my common law will lead to mis representation. I would marry her in future but i wont be able to sponsor her to come to Canada that time?

Q3.)Please help me how can i fix this? I'am a foreign national and so is she, different countries. Also i saw in Saskatchewan it takes 2 years to say you are in common law but CIC website says 12. How would i prove to CIC that i dated her for 7 months at that address not 13?

Q.4)Fact: We had same address for 13 months but we actually dated and lived together for 7 months and now we visit each other sometimes. Does common law starts itself or it doesn't until and unless we sign a document of some sort with a lawyer saying we are common law now?

I might have incorrect info about common- law so please help.