+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exclude Spouse in express entry process

Srav18

Apr 17, 2017
Hi,

I have applied for Canadian PR under CEC express entry and I got invitation to apply, However in my initial profile I have mentioned my marital status as "Married" but I have answered "NO" to the questions "Is your spouse coming to Canada with you", since my wife don't want to get permanent residence status now because by including her in my profile my score will get decreased and she wanted to go back to home country for 1 year for other family reasons as well. (NOTE: Currently she is Canada on work permit as my dependent)

I am planning to sponsor her after I get my PR.

I have called CIC to clarify this, they said I can absolutely apply for PR without including her but I need to provide her complete details including medicals but she will not get PR until I sponsor her.

However I am very concerned about this. Does this effect the chances of getting approval on my application? Is anyone applied for PR like this?

Could you please provide your valuable feedback on this?

Thanks,

Srav

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Srav18 said:
I have applied for Canadian PR under CEC express entry and I got invitation to apply, However in my initial profile I have mentioned my marital status as "Married" but I have answered "NO" to the questions "Is your spouse coming to Canada with you", since my wife don't want to get permanent residence status now because by including her in my profile my score will get decreased and she wanted to go back to home country for 1 year for other family reasons as well. (NOTE: Currently she is Canada on work permit as my dependent)

I am planning to sponsor her after I get my PR.

I have called CIC to clarify this, they said I can absolutely apply for PR without including her but I need to provide her complete details including medicals but she will not get PR until I sponsor her.

However I am very concerned about this. Does this effect the chances of getting approval on my application? Is anyone applied for PR like this?
Hi

You can't exclude your wife. You must include her as non-accompanying. She is required to have a medical and to submit all necessary forms, documents and PCCs. She must still pass all eligibility requirements for you to become a PR.

Many people include dependents as non-accompanying. It isn't an issue.

rajk1982

Mar 27, 2018
If I apply for PR as non-accompanying guest and if I get PR, can my wife continue to stay in Canada till her current visa expires ?

Is there any way to extend her visa ?

How long should I wait to sponsor her for PR

Please advise

Last edited:

sharmaashok

Dec 30, 2023
Hi Sarv,

I have the same situation as yours was in 2017, could you please tell me what happened to you when you excluded your spouse from Express entry profile. Is it illegal and can we bring our spouse back after getting PR?

My spouse and kids are with me as dependent and I created profile excluding them.. your input will be valuable to me as you already have been in the same situation.