+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exchanging US license for canadian license

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Hi AllisonVSC
Could you tell from where to get the Insurance Claim history?
As you know we switch frequently the Insurance companies...

Driver History is OK. I can et it form the respective State DMVs..

Thanks

AllisonVSC said:
Go to the nearest DriveTest Center when you arrive bringing your DMV record and your insurance claims report (10 year history for both if you can get them).

You will have to take the vision test and possibly another test, but if all is well they should issue a temporary (paper license) right away. The real one will come in the mail about 8-10 days later.

At least this was my experience in Nov 2009. They did accept my expired license but it may have been due to a long strike of the Drivetest workers. I do not remember if I needed proof(s) of Ontario address, but I did bring my passport with me.

Where in Georgia are you from? I'm from Charleston, South Carolina and now live in Mississauga near the Pearson airport. Allison

A

anushauc

Please call each insurance companies you used and get the report for the respective periods. You need all the histories for the best quote here.

Regards,
AnushaUC

bonsai

Star Member
Oct 24, 2009
I am lucky I'm coming from Texas. I can get an online record of my driver's license record and just print it out.
Hopefully Ontario will accept it, since the print out has a signature and also states certified haha.

jamesbond

Star Member
Oct 30, 2008
bonsai said:
I am lucky I'm coming from Texas. I can get an online record of my driver's license record and just print it out.
Hopefully Ontario will accept it, since the print out has a signature and also states certified haha.
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/ExchangeReciprocal.aspx

Applicants from Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, New Jersey, South Carolina, Texas, Utah and Vermont must provide a driving abstract dated within 6 months) indicating the date the licence was first issued. The driving abstract must be an original; fax and photocopies are not acceptable.

But maybe a print out could work. You better call the department in Ontario and ask them.

bonsai

Star Member
Oct 24, 2009
jamesbond said:
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/ExchangeReciprocal.aspx

Applicants from Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, New Jersey, South Carolina, Texas, Utah and Vermont must provide a driving abstract dated within 6 months) indicating the date the licence was first issued. The driving abstract must be an original; fax and photocopies are not acceptable.

But maybe a print out could work. You better call the department in Ontario and ask them.

Even if I want an original, it won't work. I already tried to go to DMV in our place, they always tell me to check it online and I cannot order it via mail too haha.
They said the printouts are originals since you have to pay for it to get it haha.

emcanada

Feb 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2011
AOR Received.
24-05-2011
File Transfer...
05-05-2011
bonsai said:

Hi Bonsai,

I have a TX DL as well, were you able to get it exchange using a printer copy from TXDoT?

Thanks!

Sinbad

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 9,2010
LANDED..........
Apr 24,2011
I am also from Texas. I took the online record(printed) and exchanged it for Alberta license. At the registry, they took a photocopy of the record and gave the one I submitted back to me. You can also get it by post(original) if u send money order to Austin.

mark_immi

Star Member
Oct 1, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is anyone from NJ, I am planning to move in June last week and I just found out they don't indicate Original License Issue date in Driving History Abstract. My current License was issued in April 2010 (although the first one was in May 2008). Will they consider Driving History Abstract and my old License if I carry.

I am trying to find if there is any other document they provide indicating Original License issue date. Is anyone aware of it?

Sinbad said:
I am also from Texas. I took the online record(printed) and exchanged it for Alberta license. At the registry, they took a photocopy of the record and gave the one I submitted back to me. You can also get it by post(original) if u send money order to Austin.

mark_immi

Star Member
Oct 1, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SamCanada2013 said:
has any one got his New Jersey driver's licence exchanged for Ontario's driver's licence?
Yes - your NJ drivers licence has to be older than 2 years and you need driving history abstract from DMV. you can swap it and get ontario G licence. Also get any insurance history/record you have from your insurance provider. this will help you getting a better rate on car insurance.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Hi, I am a newcomer to Canada. I have a US driving license from Delaware state (Valid: 15th September 2013, Expiry: 13th September 2015) which licensed me to drive a light motor vehicle (LMV) with no restrictions. My question is whether I will be able to exchange this license for a G2 or G Licence in Ontario? Is anything else needed besides the original license? Your inputs would be really helpful for me to plan up. Thanks!