+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exchanging US license for canadian license

prak11

Star Member
May 5, 2010
Dear All

I want to exchange my US drivers license for a Canadian(Ontario) drivers license. I called up service ontario and they said they need my driving history report from the US. Now I have lived in the US as follows
State of Connecticut last 1 year
State of georgia year and half before connecticut
State of Michigan 3 years before georgia
State of Alabama - 3 years

So now my question is
(a) Do I need to provide the Driving History of all these states?
(b) Does all these Driving history records need to be original or can i order them at the dmv website and print it locally?
(c) What other documents I need to take to service ontario?
I'm sure someone would have done this before. Please advise

Thanks

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I didn't have to provide those, but I went to exchange mine during the strike last year, so the woman working just took my word for the reciprocal exchange agreement.

You will want to those driving histories and a claims report from your insurance in order to qualify for reduced insurance rates here, so it will be worth it to get the last 10 years (that was what my insurance agent asked for, but my state DMV only keeps records for 3 years).

prak11

Star Member
May 5, 2010
I'm planning to go to ottawa for exchanging the license. Where did you exchange? so you think I don't need those driving history?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I went to a local DriveTest center in Brampton. It was one of the few that reopened while the strike was still going on. I don't know whether they will require those records or not. The woman I dealt with just asked me how many years I'd been licensed to drive (about 30 years), but didn't ask to see any proof. My driver's license, which had the initial and renewal dates on it, was 5 years old so maybe she took that as proof as well. I suggest you call a local center to inquire about what you need to bring to exchange it.

A

anushauc

Dear Prak11,

I have a similar history as to your case for the license.

My 2 cents worth:
- Get your DMV letters in original from all the locations ( you can order online and have it delivered to any US address).
- Get your original US license
- Go to the Service Ontario office here with your above documents and fees. Get your license swapped immediately.

I did the same, did not have problems.
I had the letters handy but did not give. They asked for it and I gave them and the license was through.

BTW - My last license was from TX.
There are a few states ( single digit, countable ) where you need not get the letter ( I know NY, MI fall under this category )

Regards,
AnushaUC

prak11 said:
Dear All

I want to exchange my US drivers license for a Canadian(Ontario) drivers license. I called up service ontario and they said they need my driving history report from the US. Now I have lived in the US as follows
State of Connecticut last 1 year
State of georgia year and half before connecticut
State of Michigan 3 years before georgia
State of Alabama - 3 years

So now my question is
(a) Do I need to provide the Driving History of all these states?
(b) Does all these Driving history records need to be original or can i order them at the dmv website and print it locally?
(c) What other documents I need to take to service ontario?
I'm sure someone would have done this before. Please advise

Thanks

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED!!!! :)
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
I just ordered a certified copy of my driving records from the North Carolina DMV, do you think I'd need to get a copy of my records from my insurance company as well?

A

anushauc

aerogurl87 said:
I just ordered a certified copy of my driving records from the North Carolina DMV, do you think I'd need to get a copy of my records from my insurance company as well?
Insurance is not required for the purpose of obtaining license.
You may/will need it when you apply for a insurance here. They consider your US driving experience (sometimes) ( depending on the insurance company you are trying for here ) to make it less crazy than the usual crazy cost you would hear from the insurance companies here ( without the insurance letter ).

I had a letter for my spouse and I and that helped a little to reduce around $50 per month to $ 285 per month ( yes that is the insurance cost here !!!! )

- AnushaUC

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
anushauc said:
Insurance is not required for the purpose of obtaining license.
You may/will need it when you apply for a insurance here. They consider your US driving experience (sometimes) ( depending on the insurance company you are trying for here ) to make it less crazy than the usual crazy cost you would hear from the insurance companies here ( without the insurance letter ).

I had a letter for my spouse and I and that helped a little to reduce around $50 per month to $ 285 per month ( yes that is the insurance cost here !!!! )

- AnushaUC
Ok well I'll definitely get a record from my insurance company. Question though, where exactly do you live for your rates to be that high? My boyfriend is 19, has been driving for less than a year with his full license, and his insurance is only 120 a month.

A

anushauc

aerogurl87 said:
Ok well I'll definitely get a record from my insurance company. Question though, where exactly do you live for your rates to be that high? My boyfriend is 19, has been driving for less than a year with his full license, and his insurance is only 120 a month.
Well - We live in Toronto ! And - we have a good 60K Kms ( 40K Miles ) done Hybrid Camry 07, fully loaded. It matters.
If you have 3 years of experience here, without any recorded incidents, your insurance would be $120 for a old car.

If you can add yourself to his license as an occasional driver, and minimize your coverage to the minimum, you will get a better deal. Once you have 6 months history of driving, as an occasional driver, it would help. Insurance rates in Canada are known to be crazy.

If you give me the company name and more info on your insurance, I would be glad to check it out !!

- AnushaUC

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
anushauc said:
Well - We live in Toronto ! And - we have a good 60K Kms ( 40K Miles ) done Hybrid Camry 07, fully loaded. It matters.
If you have 3 years of experience here, without any recorded incidents, your insurance would be $120 for a old car.

If you can add yourself to his license as an occasional driver, and minimize your coverage to the minimum, you will get a better deal. Once you have 6 months history of driving, as an occasional driver, it would help. Insurance rates in Canada are known to be crazy.

If you give me the company name and more info on your insurance, I would be glad to check it out !!

- AnushaUC
Mmk well that may explain it. My boyfriend only had his license for a little under a year so far and has 2 cars. One is a 93' Bonneville and the other is a 06' Grand Prix GXP, but he's only paying insurance on the newer car right now (waiting for me to move to get full insurance back on the other car). Maybe his insurance is cheaper because he lives in a more rural part of Alberta, I dunno. I'll ask him who he has insurance with when I talk to him tonight though. :)

VisaApprovalSent

Star Member
May 12, 2009
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aerogurl87 said:
Mmk well that may explain it. My boyfriend only had his license for a little under a year so far and has 2 cars. One is a 93' Bonneville and the other is a 06' Grand Prix GXP, but he's only paying insurance on the newer car right now (waiting for me to move to get full insurance back on the other car). Maybe his insurance is cheaper because he lives in a more rural part of Alberta, I dunno. I'll ask him who he has insurance with when I talk to him tonight though. :)
Do you need insurance record from all the companies throughout your stay in the US or the most recent ones will do?

A

anushauc

Entire insurance History from US is required to get the best quote here in Canada.

- AnushaUC

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
anushauc said:
Entire insurance History from US is required to get the best quote here in Canada.

- AnushaUC
I only needed proof of the last 5 years of US claims to get the highest insurance rating here.

A

anushauc

AllisonVSC said:
I only needed proof of the last 5 years of US claims to get the highest insurance rating here.
Not Sure !!!

As per the records, they need 10 yrs records for accident history & 3 yrs for tickets !!

This was my understanding from both the MTO ( DMV ) and the insurance companies !

- AnushaUC