+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exchanging UK driver's licence when I move to Canada

vvik33

Star Member
Aug 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Hi UK folks,

I have a UK automatic licence and will be moving to Ontario. Would I have to retake a driving test in Ontario before I can exchange my UK licence?

What's the process and timeline like?

Please help.
Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi UK folks,

I have a UK automatic licence and will be moving to Ontario. Would I have to retake a driving test in Ontario before I can exchange my UK licence?

What's the process and timeline like?

Please help.
Thanks.

How to apply
To switch your licence for an Ontario driver’s licence, you need to apply in-person at a DriveTest centre or the ServiceOntario College Park location in downtown Toronto.

You need to:

• take an eye test
  • bring originals of your accepted identity documents showing your legal name, date of birth and signature
  • bring your original, valid out-of-province/foreign driver’s licence*
  • bring any original supporting documents that show proof of your driving experience in English or French
  • pay the applicable fees
  • fill out an application form (where you will state how long you have been driving)

Fully licensed with 2+ years driving experience (with exchange)
You only need to take an eye test, when you apply. After you pass this test, you get a full licence.

Less than 2 years driving experience (with exchange)
You need to take:

• an eye test, when you apply
  • one road test (the G2 road test)
You will not be able to do the G2 road test right away. You need to wait until you gain two, full years of driving experience. For example, if you had a licence for 21 months in your home province, state or country, you can do the G2 road test after 3 months in Ontario. After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full licence.