Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
So I hold a UK driving license which, as I understand it, can be surrendered for a Canadian license (I live in ON). However, I also understand there is an 18 month window.
I've been here nearly two years now and not driven - but I'd like to get my Canadian license now.
Has anyone swapped theirs late? Were you able and did you get into trouble?
Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't recall hearing about an 18 month window but they want to know that you have driving experience for 2 out of the past 3 years and if you have been in Canada for 2 years without driving, the most you could get credit for would be 1 year so it is possible that they only give you a G2 license. Whether you get into trouble or not, you should try to exchange it soon because once you are in Canada without driving for more than 2 years, they might only give you a G1 license and that means you can't even drive by yourself.

Rob51

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lpc19800 said:
So I hold a UK driving license which, as I understand it, can be surrendered for a Canadian license (I live in ON). However, I also understand there is an 18 month window.
I've been here nearly two years now and not driven - but I'd like to get my Canadian license now.
Has anyone swapped theirs late? Were you able and did you get into trouble?
Thanks!
You should have switch your drivers license right away when you came to live in Canada. To switch your drivers license you have to apply in person.
See the link http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/exchange-foreign-drivers-licence

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
I have an additional question to this. I am an American with NEXUS and arrived in May. Should I exchange my card, as I think I am required to update my NEXUS information as soon as possible with the new driver's license information? If I do so, will it signal to CBSA that I am intending to reside in Canada? Will this cause problems with my application or with my NEXUS membership?

In addition, should I obtain the new card with my married name? As all of my other documents will continue to have my old name that is on my passport that I applied with, as I'd like to wait to change it to not screw up anything with the application process.

It should be noted we are applying Outland but I am staying in Canada and am going to apply for visitor extension.

Another question is that we want to try to apply for OHIP with the Sponsorship approval and various documents (Hydro bill, etc) with my name on them. Would exchanging my driver's license later cause problems with this? Do the departments even remotely have that kind of communication with each other?

Is there any problem with me waiting a year for the approval since I am doing outland and technically only "visiting", and will be leaving and re-entering as a PR when the approval comes?

So many confusing questions that I can't answer for myself. :(

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Haven't heard of a 18 months windows either, your UK license would've been valid for 90 days in Canada.
In those 90 days you could've exchanged your UK license for a Canadian one without doing a test or stuff.
If you miss that 90 day period, I think, you'll have to get your Canadian license the 'official' way and do road test and stuff.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iam_toby said:
Haven't heard of a 18 months windows either, your UK license would've been valid for 90 days in Canada.
In those 90 days you could've exchanged your UK license for a Canadian one without doing a test or stuff.
If you miss that 90 day period, I think, you'll have to get your Canadian license the 'official' way and do road test and stuff.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't think you lose the chance to exchange your license if you don't do it within 90 days. It is not allowed to drive on your foreign license for more than 90 days in most provinces. In some provinces like ON it's 60 and in others like PEI it's 4 months but that's if you drive. If you aren't driving, you are just taking the bus, you are not really breaking any law so if you come a year later and want to exchange your foreign license, I don't see why you can't.

I did not have an exchangable license but I was in Canada for a few years before I decided to get a car and a Canadian license and they still gave me credit for having a foreign license, that is, I was allowed to take the road test right away. That was in AB though.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Leon said:
I don't think you lose the chance to exchange your license if you don't do it within 90 days. It is not allowed to drive on your foreign license for more than 90 days in most provinces. In some provinces like ON it's 60 and in others like PEI it's 4 months but that's if you drive. If you aren't driving, you are just taking the bus, you are not really breaking any law so if you come a year later and want to exchange your foreign license, I don't see why you can't.

I did not have an exchangable license but I was in Canada for a few years before I decided to get a car and a Canadian license and they still gave me credit for having a foreign license, that is, I was allowed to take the road test right away. That was in AB though.
Yes, that's what ICBC told me in BC. If you exchange your license in that 90 day windows, you surrender your foreign license and get a Canadian one for a small office fee. If you miss the 90 day windows you have to take the road test in order to get a Canadian license.
Abosulutely, you can get a Canadian license after 90 days, it's just more 'work'.

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to go do it and will update on what happens :)