+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exchange of USA Drivers License with Canadian DL in the province Ontario

kumapathy

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Hey guys ,

I have valid USA Drivers License from states of TEXAS , I know we can exchange our valid US DL with Canadian DL in the Province Ontario,
I heard we need to get Proof of Driving Record from USA. I stayed in NJ for 3 years and in PA for 1 year and now in Texas almost a year. I obtained Texas license by surrendering my PA license ,

Should I need to get driving records from PA and NJ and Texas ?

****Also , Please tell me what the documents required to exchange my USA DL with Canadian DL ****

Thanks
Kay

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Hey guys ,

I have valid USA Drivers License from states of TEXAS , I know we can exchange our valid US DL with Canadian DL in the Province Ontario,
I heard we need to get Proof of Driving Record from USA. I stayed in NJ for 3 years and in PA for 1 year and now in Texas almost a year. I obtained Texas license by surrendering my PA license ,

****Also , Please tell me what the documents required to exchange my USA DL with Canadian DL ****

Thanks
Kay
I caled Service Ontario recently, you just need past two years driving license to get a full G license. More info here related to documents:
https://drivetest.ca/

Mery_M

Sep 5, 2017
Chicago,USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Passport Req..
16-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
18-01-2018
Hey guys ,

Thanks
Kay
Hi, just exchanged my from IL last week, and I’m really upset I didn’t get my driving record. Cause I have like 7 years of experience, and just exchanged my drivers license 2 yeast ago. But still I got full G, explaining the situation. But better have the record, it will definitely help. Otherwise nothing else needed, just your passport and drivers license itself, they will take the license and you won’t get it back. Hope it helps!

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Hi, just exchanged my from IL last week, and I’m really upset I didn’t get my driving record. Cause I have like 7 years of experience, and just exchanged my drivers license 2 yeast ago. But still I got full G, explaining the situation. But better have the record, it will definitely help. Otherwise nothing else needed, just your passport and drivers license itself, they will take the license and you won’t get it back. Hope it helps!
Hi, what address would be on that G license? Can you give any address or do you need a lease document or utility bill, etc?

Mery_M

Sep 5, 2017
Chicago,USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Passport Req..
16-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
18-01-2018
Hi, what address would be on that G license? Can you give any address or do you need a lease document or utility bill, etc?
Nope, you need nothing. They will simply ask your address. Way easier than in States

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014

kumapathy

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Thanks for the reply. Did they ask for Driving history records from states we lived in USA ?

trackgal1

Star Member
Jul 20, 2017
I would highly recommend you get a driving record from the DMV in whatever state you're licensed at, and if your license is less than 2 years old, get a letter that states when you got your full license. I had my record and when I initially got my license (which was actually my learners permit). The attendant almost didn't give me the full G license because it didn't state when I had gotten my full license. He was super busy and stressed and I think he gave it to me because I was really nice to him (and I had 10+ years experience)...but just to play on the safe side that's what I'd recommend. Also, there are only a few places that allow you to trade in a foreign license, so make sure you check before you go in.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
So, there are certain states in the US (District of Columbia, Florida, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Jersey, Ohio, Vermont, and Washington)

Other than the ones above you can go and exchange your license from any state provided it shows the license issue date that is 2 or more years older. So if your license issue date is less than 2 years old then they won't exchange the license and you will have to go through the G1, G2, phases of the process (depending on your experience). Depending on the case that your license was recently issued in the US but you have been driving a lot longer in the US then you will need your driving record abstract from the US. They will usually only accept the official ones (or at least it is better to get the official ones to be on the safe side).

I got my Illinois license changed on the spot. It showed license issue date of almost 3 years ago (2016). Just asked me to take a short eye exam, took a picture, took my Illinois license and gave me a temporary Ontario full G license. The 5 year validity license should come into my mailbox in a couple of weeks.

I hope that this clears up some confusion.

Aug 22, 2019
From NJ As of Feb 2019 you must have a Motor Vehicle Services Driver Inquiry. It is available from the MVC Form DO-11 it has to be mailed in and I’m told takes about 3 weeks. Canada will NOT accept a notarized driver's abstract or a complete drivers history . They require the date of issue of your DL and the only way to get that is submit a Form D0–11 and get a Driver Inquiry. If this form shows 2+ years driving experience in the last three years then you will get a regular “g” license.

Last edited:

shaik4783

Dec 19, 2018
Hi , Is ilinois in the list of drivers license exchange program..??

shaik4783

Dec 19, 2018
So, there are certain states in the US (District of Columbia, Florida, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Jersey, Ohio, Vermont, and Washington)

Other than the ones above you can go and exchange your license from any state provided it shows the license issue date that is 2 or more years older. So if your license issue date is less than 2 years old then they won't exchange the license and you will have to go through the G1, G2, phases of the process (depending on your experience). Depending on the case that your license was recently issued in the US but you have been driving a lot longer in the US then you will need your driving record abstract from the US. They will usually only accept the official ones (or at least it is better to get the official ones to be on the safe side).

I got my Illinois license changed on the spot. It showed license issue date of almost 3 years ago (2016). Just asked me to take a short eye exam, took a picture, took my Illinois license and gave me a temporary Ontario full G license. The 5 year validity license should come into my mailbox in a couple of weeks.

I hope that this clears up some confusion.
Hi , May i please know which vehicle test center did you go go exchange your drivers license..?

Thank you

sinchan_123

Apr 10, 2018
Hello - I am moving to Canada from USA by end of Oct. Will apply for Canadian license by mid of Nov (after mandatory quarantine period). I have my US state license valid till Mid Jan. i.e by the time I apply for the canadian license, I will only have ~1.5 months left on my US license. Does the valid till date of USA license matter or is the requirement only to have a valid USA license on the day of application. Appreciate your response in anticipation. Thanks.