+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EXCHANGE OF UAE DRIVING LICENCE

m kazmi

Jun 26, 2014
I have a Pakistan passport, living in UAE (Abu Dhabi) holding a D/Licence valid till 2023.
1- While on my first landing, and using UAE licence, can I rent a car and drive?
2-Can it be exchanged for Calgary? If yes, what else I have to bring to Calgary from Abu Dhabi transport authorities?

hassan09

Jun 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw Ex Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
2nd AOR :19.04.2010
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
16.02.2013, Remedicals for kids (15.02.2014)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
Planning for October 2014
1-Yes you can rent a car
2-yes you can exchange it, you need to get a letter from RTA that states the years of driving experience. translate the ltter and driving license to englis/french.

Oct 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi
Visa Office......
Lodnon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/12/2009
Doc's Request.
10/02/2010
IELTS Request
2010 (called recalled date)
File Transfer...
17/02/2010
Med's Request
05/11/2013 (not sure exactly)
Med's Done....
03/12/2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13/12/2013
VISA ISSUED...
09/01/2014
LANDED..........
Soon InshaAllah
Is it also true for Toronto/Mississauga as well? as far as I know, we can rent a car on UAE DL but UAE driving license cannot be exchange with Canadian driving license, if so, can we verify it from some source ( like any Canadian website etc.) It is really helpful info for those who are migrating from gulf, I have same scenario like Kazmi sahib, but I'll land in Toronto? Kindly share your views.

Thanks
Muhammad Ali Butt

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Muhammadali1980 said:
Is it also true for Toronto/Mississauga as well? as far as I know, we can rent a car on UAE DL but UAE driving license cannot be exchange with Canadian driving license, if so, can we verify it from some source ( like any Canadian website etc.) It is really helpful info for those who are migrating from gulf, I have same scenario like Kazmi sahib, but I'll land in Toronto? Kindly share your views.

Thanks
Muhammad Ali Butt
No, a UAE license is not exchangeable in Ontario https://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/exchange-foreign-drivers-licence

Exchange a driver’s licence

You can exchange an out-of-province licence for an Ontario licence, if you are re-locating from:

any Canadian province or territory
Canadian Forces Europe
U.S. States
Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, the Isle of Man, Japan, Northern Ireland, Korea, Switzerland

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hassan09 said:
1-Yes you can rent a car
2-yes you can exchange it, you need to get a letter from RTA that states the years of driving experience. translate the ltter and driving license to englis/french.
No, it can't be exchanged in Alberta, the only DLs that can be directly exchanged are the following:

Who has signed a Reciprocal Licensing Agreement with Alberta?
• Countries that have entered into a Reciprocal Licensing Agreement with Alberta are:
o Austria for Class 5
o Belgium for Class 5
o France for Class 5
o Germany for Class 5
o Japan for Classes 5 and 6
o Republic of Korea for Class 5
o Switzerland for Classes 5 and 6
o USA for Classes 5, 6 and 7
o United Kingdom (UK) of Great Britain
o The reciprocal licensing agreement signed with the United Kingdom of Great Britain includes England, Scotland and Wales. Clients surrendering a driver’s licence from Northern or the Republic of Ireland must complete full testing.

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
m kazmi said:
I have a Pakistan passport, living in UAE (Abu Dhabi) holding a D/Licence valid till 2023.
1- While on my first landing, and using UAE licence, can I rent a car and drive?
2-Can it be exchanged for Calgary? If yes, what else I have to bring to Calgary from Abu Dhabi transport authorities?
Make sure to get an International Driving Permit (essentially a translated paper that goes with your license) before you leave.

humsafar

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with initial application
IELTS Request
Sent with initial application
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS 19-10-2011
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-08-2012 received in London 31-08-2012
clearly said:
Make sure to get an International Driving Permit (essentially a translated paper that goes with your license) before you leave.
there is no need for international driving permit. he will be able to rent a car on UAE license.

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Yes you can drive for 3 months
2. You cant change it to canadian DL you have to take the written exam and road exam.
get your driving cert in RTA then send it to UAE embassy in Canada to get the attestation

The good thing with UAE licence is you can get the exam for Professional Licence (In Ontario you have to wait for 1 year to be able to get the professional drivers license)

goodluck!!

Reactions: manboarpig

Siawo

Star Member
Feb 24, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 22, 2009
Doc's Request.
May 12, 2009
AOR Received.
May 20, 2009
Med's Request
Feb 1, 2010
Med's Done....
Mar 13, 2010
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 07, 2010
LANDED..........
Dec 18. 2010
m kazmi said:
Get an International Driving Licence you can rent and drive on that.

No you will not be able to exchange it for a Canadian driving licence.
Bring with you an experience letter from moroor (ask them for "Canada Letter", they know).
If your driving record is good (no accidents) I would recommend you to bring with you a letter from your insurer (and past insurers) showing that you have not made any claims in the past years.

b_lalij

Jan 11, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2014
Nomination.....
13-05-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014
Med's Done....
15-07-2014
Interview........
waived...
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
m kazmi said:
m kazmi,
I heard that we need to carry some letter from traffic department, Abu Dhabi. Please let me know if you have arrange such letter and if yes, please advise how to obtain this letter.

Thanks in advance

imran364

Sep 8, 2015
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i have driving license of Abu Dhabi, UAE . i am moving to Montreal, Quebec so i can exchange it ?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
imran364 said:
i have driving license of Abu Dhabi, UAE . i am moving to Montreal, Quebec so i can exchange it ?
No you cannot..

https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/drivers-licences/foreign-drivers-licence/

Abdool001

Feb 12, 2018
Hi Did you get that certificate from Abu Dhabi? If yes kindly guide.

Thanks
Hi wasim, pls did you get the driving experience certificate from Abu Dhabi, if yes pls how did you do it? I am outside UAE, my residency canceled but the license is still valid. Pls how do i go about it? Thanms

wasimmaqsood

Mar 20, 2018
Hi wasim, pls did you get the driving experience certificate from Abu Dhabi, if yes pls how did you do it? I am outside UAE, my residency canceled but the license is still valid. Pls how do i go about it? Thanms
Hi
I'v got my driving history. Just send someone with your license copy and inform them that you need driving history for canada they will take 150 and print same time and the get it attested from Ministry of foreign affairs in Abu Dhabi just in case.