+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Example of Letter or support?

dream99

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
Anyone have an example of a letter of support? I am writing a couple on behalf of some relatives(who cannot speak/write english) and signing it myself. But in that case I don't know what kind of point of view to write it from as well as the format.

Do I say: Dear,

or

To whom it may concern,

.........?

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dream99 said:
Anyone have an example of a letter of support? I am writing a couple on behalf of some relatives(who cannot speak/write english) and signing it myself. But in that case I don't know what kind of point of view to write it from as well as the format.

Do I say: Dear,

or

To whom it may concern,

.........?
I am pretty sure you writing and signing letters for other people is wrong and could be illegal ie misrepresentation especially if you are going to pass them off as those people thoughts and feeling

You are married so there is no need for the support letters yes they would make a stronger case but not at the expense of misrepresenting yourself

To answer your question you can address the letter to the consulate or embassy

I Bobby Green(person writing letter) has known about my son, friend, cousin, brother, nephew( your name here) relationship with (wife name here) since... We have went on a couple trips together or family dinner etc... describe activities that the person writing the letter participate with you two or just write saying that you are genuine do not make the letters all sound the same since you will be writing it as I have read appeal cases where the IO have said that especially in situations where there was a language barrier of the alledged writer so dont over do it

dream99

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
Kedeisha said:
I am pretty sure you writing and signing letters for other people is wrong and could be illegal ie misrepresentation especially if you are going to pass them off as those people thoughts and feeling

You are married so there is no need for the support letters yes they would make a stronger case but not at the expense of misrepresenting yourself

To answer your question you can address the letter to the consulate or embassy

I Bobby Green(person writing letter) has known about my son, friend, cousin, brother, nephew( your name here) relationship with (wife name here) since... We have went on a couple trips together or family dinner etc... describe activities that the person writing the letter participate with you two or just write saying that you are genuine do not make the letters all sound the same since you will be writing it as I have read appeal cases where the IO have said that especially in situations where there was a language barrier of the alledged writer so dont over do it
Thanks, Kedeisha!

I was thinking exactly what you said about it being misrepresentation and what not but according to a lot of people they have been saying it's ok. I've heard yes it's ok and no you shouldn't do it. It's definitely sketchy...

The thing with my spouse and I is that we're married but have not had our engagement, or wedding ceremony yet and we were only seperated for 2 months during our relationship(meaning not much phone records or email) so I don't know what else to provide for evidence. That's why I'd like to get as many letter of supports as I can..plus I heard they are strong documents for evidence.

But it's ok for me to translate them myself right? No certified translator?

dream99

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
And also, it's ok to have it typed by the person writing the letter of support right? Or should it be hand written?

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some of my friends English is rather poor and I still got them to write letters of support.
It's full of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes but I think they still get the point across.

Maybe you can coach them a bit but let them write in their style of English (unless of course they know nothing)
even if it's poor.

That way it shows they are truthful and coming from that person. Typed is fine
and then signed

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe the letters dont need to be a long thing it can be short and to the point also since you lack in communication as evidence then this is where you can write additional information to prove your relationship, you can address the questions that you know would come up such as short engagement no party etc basicall if you can answer questions before they are asked then u should hopefully be good

Basically submit an app that in your mind is thorough andwould eliminate the need for an interview

Do you believe there are any surprise factors in your application, age difference short courtship, not a big wedding if so address them all

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I wrote the support letter for my brother, not because he was incapable but because he didn't know what to write and was busy. Important to note here though, he read it understood it and signed it himself in front of a notary. The letter said basic factual stuff...I am the brother of Allison. She has been in a relationship with XX since 2004. I first met XX in July 2004, they stayed together with my wife and me for a week in April 2007, etc etc. I know this relationship to be genuine blah, blah, blah.

If your friends can't read or write well enough in English to do as Boracay suggests, I do not recommend writing an English letter for them as they may not understand what they are signing. Ask them to write in their own language and then have someone else translate it and sign the translation. Submit a copy of both.

Typed or legible handwriting are both fine.

cesarnjody

Feb 22, 2011
I have a question in regards to this...my family and his family live on different parts of the world, can i get them to write the letter and sign it and them fax or scan me their copy? or does the letter need to be the orginal with thier signature in ink?

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cesarnjody said:
I have a question in regards to this...my family and his family live on different parts of the world, can i get them to write the letter and sign it and them fax or scan me their copy? or does the letter need to be the orginal with thier signature in ink?
You can get emails as long as if you family want they can include their contact info to say please call if you need more info I have never read anything on here saying they actually do call but you never know

Misplaced Brit

Star Member
Sep 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/10/2010
I personally wouldn't write letters and sign them myself, but what you could do, is write it, and then get your family members to sign them. Writing and signing them yourself is misrepresentation, and should Immigration find out you did that, then you could full well be refused PR.

Write them yourself in English, and then get the family members to sign them - telling them, what the letters say, of course.

When I did my letters, I wrote one from a friend, because he was so busy working, and not sure what to say - However, I emailed a copy of it to him, and then he swung by one night after work to sign it, along with his contact info, which he wrote on the bottom of the page underneath his signature.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
dream99 said:
I was thinking exactly what you said about it being misrepresentation and what not but according to a lot of people they have been saying it's ok. I've heard yes it's ok and no you shouldn't do it. It's definitely sketchy...
It is definitely not OK. However, what people mean when they say it is OK is that they did it and didn't get caught. If the visa officer finds out about it, the visa will be refused for misrepresentation. Even if they are just suspicious, it can be part of the reason for refusing the visa. It is better to not risk it.
If the people writing the letters don't know English, get them to write it in their own language and have it translated. If their English is poor, a poorly written but truthful letter is better than a fake one. You can use emails, letters (handwritten or typed) or affidavits; just get the writer to include his or her contact info. They don't contact the writers (usually), but having the contact info there makes the letters look more legitimate, since you wouldn't include contact info unless the letter was genuine.

For this kind of evidence, a certified translation is not necessary - CIC would prefer it, of course, but lots of forum members have done this type of translation themselves or have had a friend do it, and have not had any problems.

dream99

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
For this kind of evidence, a certified translation is not necessary - CIC would prefer it, of course, but lots of forum members have done this type of translation themselves or have had a friend do it, and have not had any problems.
[/quote]

I plan on translating just one from my spouse's father and I will also translate my pay stubs, bills of our trips, and a few other things.

Should I write a letter of declaration saying I, my name, am responsible for translating the following documents? And then have a list of all the stuff I am translating on my own?

glak1234

Star Member
Apr 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wrote the letter for my parents because they can speak english but cannot write very well... I wrote it ˝To who it may concern,˝ stating both their names and a little space beside each name for them to initial it, meaning they read it.. if that makes sense to you.. example:

˝I, Samantha Smith ___ , and I John Smith ___ , have read and agree in full to the information provided..˝ etc etc.

dream99

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
Thanks, everyone!

Any suggestions on if I should write a letter stating I will be translating some documents myself? Such as pay stubs, bills, one letter of support?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
CIC does want a translator declaration - stating their name, qualifications, and swearing that it is a true translation of the original. If you get a friend or relative to translate something, definitely have them also do a translator's declaration. If you translate something, I'd write a letter as well stating you did it. If they don't accept it, they will probably just ask you to have someone else do it.