+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ex-Refugee Visiting Home Country After Getting Citizenship

S.d.dex

May 13, 2024
Hello,

I am a Palestinian refugee used to live in Lebanon. I recently got my citizenship after applying in Canada as a gay refugee. I have been reading on the ability to visit my family after receiving a Canadian passport and what risks does this impose. I did not give any false information on my citizenship claim seeking refugee about my sexual orientation. I just want to visit my family without disclosing my sexual identity to them.

Does anyone know how risky it would be to do this?

Salman17

Jan 22, 2015
How long did it take for you to get your citizenship from the day you applied? Are you going to visit them in Lebanon or Palestine?

S.d.dex

May 13, 2024
How long did it take for you to get your citizenship from the day you applied? Are you going to visit them in Lebanon or Palestine?
It’s been almost 10 years to get my citizenship. I will be planning on seeing them in my Lebanon.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello,

I am a Palestinian refugee used to live in Lebanon. I recently got my citizenship after applying in Canada as a gay refugee. I have been reading on the ability to visit my family after receiving a Canadian passport and what risks does this impose. I did not give any false information on my citizenship claim seeking refugee about my sexual orientation. I just want to visit my family without disclosing my sexual identity to them.

Does anyone know how risky it would be to do this?
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-canadian-citizen-who-formerly-were-refugee-go-back-home.805833/

Based on the above thread doesn't seems to be an issue after getting citizenship.

Salman17

Jan 22, 2015
You definitely should check how the laws are imposed in Lebanon against gays to be safe before you make the travel. How long did it take for you to get your citizenship from when you applied for citizenship grant only?

Reactions: fièrementcanadien

S.d.dex

May 13, 2024
You definitely should check how the laws are imposed in Lebanon against gays to be safe before you make the travel. How long did it take for you to get your citizenship from when you applied for citizenship grant only?
There are no protective laws for LGBT people in Lebanon. It will be unsafe or face prosecution in some cases if they find out about your sexual orientation. But, i have lived my life over there keeping it a secret and did not face any safety issues.

The reason i am concerned is because i contacted my previous immigration lawyer who processed my refugee claim saying visiting home raises questions and might be a risk. It was mentioned however many have returned back to their home country and were able to come back to Canada with no issues.

as for how many years, it took 7 years to get my citizenship after my claim.

Illusionist4008

Star Member
Oct 28, 2021
There are no protective laws for LGBT people in Lebanon. It will be unsafe or face prosecution in some cases if they find out about your sexual orientation. But, i have lived my life over there keeping it a secret and did not face any safety issues.

The reason i am concerned is because i contacted my previous immigration lawyer who processed my refugee claim saying visiting home raises questions and might be a risk. It was mentioned however many have returned back to their home country and were able to come back to Canada with no issues.

as for how many years, it took 7 years to get my citizenship after my claim.
Just travel back home and enjoy your time with your family, forget about the past and refugee stuff. You are CANADIAN now and you are free to go wherever you want.

• Love
Reactions: Alalac

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can you give me more details?
The risk for (former) refugees of travelling to home country from Canadian immigration perspective ONLY applies before they become a citizen. Now that you are a citizen, you cannot lose that citizenship (by means of what is called rescission) under that statute. In other words, you can freely travel to your home country - as far as Canada is concerned. (To others: this VERY MUCH is a potential issue for those who travel before they become citizens. They should also not apply for or travel using their home country passport).

That said: when a Canadian citizen travels to their 'home country'* (country of origin/where they came from), if they still hold citizenship in that country Canada can basically do ZERO to assist them. (Canada has effectively no 'consular rights' with respect to those who are in their country of citizenship). One example of where this has periodically come up is military service requirements in some countries.

So when they say 'travel at your own risk' to that country, it is meant very seriously - more seriously in this case. But if you are comfortable with that risk, as a Canadian citizen you can travel freely there and back without fear that there will be repercussions related to the former refugee status.

*Canada's home at this point, I should think. Just saying home country as a lazy shortcut.

Reactions: YVR123

S.d.dex

May 13, 2024
The risk for (former) refugees of travelling to home country from Canadian immigration perspective ONLY applies before they become a citizen. Now that you are a citizen, you cannot lose that citizenship (by means of what is called rescission) under that statute. In other words, you can freely travel to your home country - as far as Canada is concerned. (To others: this VERY MUCH is a potential issue for those who travel before they become citizens. They should also not apply for or travel using their home country passport).

That said: when a Canadian citizen travels to their 'home country'* (country of origin/where they came from), if they still hold citizenship in that country Canada can basically do ZERO to assist them. (Canada has effectively no 'consular rights' with respect to those who are in their country of citizenship). One example of where this has periodically come up is military service requirements in some countries.

So when they say 'travel at your own risk' to that country, it is meant very seriously - more seriously in this case. But if you are comfortable with that risk, as a Canadian citizen you can travel freely there and back without fear that there will be repercussions related to the former refugee status.

*Canada's home at this point, I should think. Just saying home country as a lazy shortcut.
First off I want to say thank you for the detailed response and it does make sense. But, I was reading on the Immigration Canada website and it states the following:

Subsection 10(1) of the Citizenship Act provides the Minister with the authority to revoke a person’s Canadian citizenship or a person’s renunciation of citizenship if it was obtained, retained, renounced or resumed by one of the following:

false representation
fraud
knowingly concealing material circumstances.

wouldn’t returning to my home country might raise questions on the credibility of my claim?

My claim is not a lie though because i would be fearful of my life if my sexual orientation was known to everyone, but not in this case. I just want to see my family and come back.

Sorry for going on about this topic, but because my immigration lawyer said there would be risks in doing this is making me a bit paranoid.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Subsection 10(1) of the Citizenship Act provides the Minister with the authority to revoke a person’s Canadian citizenship or a person’s renunciation of citizenship if it was obtained, retained, renounced or resumed by one of the following:

false representation
fraud

wouldn’t returning to my home country might raise questions on the credibility of my claim?
No, my understanding is that just going back to country of origin does not constitute any of these. Of course, if they can demonstrate that one of these is the case, they might pursue - but this would require separate evidence. (And again my undrestanding is direct evidence of false representation, fraud, etc., and not just the inference from the actions. )

The 'rescission' or cessation related part of the law and legal system for refugees draw on a different mechanism or source of the claim: that 'availing oneself of protection' of the country (getting a passport from or returning to that country) from which you've requested asylum leads to cessation of refugee status.

[There's a lot of legal talk that can go into what that means in depth - I'm not a lawyer so not going to try to hit all parts. The key thing is that this is not an inference, but rather that 'availing oneself of protection' creates the presumption - they don't need to demonstrate directly that you intended to give up your refugee status, you've shown it by your actions. But this is my non-lawyerly short version.]

Or:
The problem, though, is that the underlying policy is based on international law and the UNHRC guidelines, which specifically provide that if a protected person re-avails himself or herself of the home country's protection, that refugee status will cease. Obtaining a passport from one's home country is typical evidence of having done this. Traveling to one's home country is typical evidence of doing this.

The cessation of refugee status has been part of Canadian law for a long while. It was just in December 2012 that Canada added the provision which automatically terminates PR status if refugee status is adjudicated to have ceased.
So note: this part of Canadian law 'automatically' terminates the PR status of a protected person. It does not act upon or affect citizenship. (I've put automatic in quotes here because it's not exactly automatic, not in the sense normal people mean, but a lawyerly use of the word.)*

If you're interestd in more detail, you can read this lengthy thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/refugee-status-cessation-and-prs-applying-for-citizenship.333455/

*And anyone who's a lawyer might infer that I'm saying they're not normal people. I'm okay with them making that inference.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
. . . the Minister [has] authority to revoke a person’s Canadian citizenship . . . if it was obtained, retained . . . by . . .
false representation
fraud

Note: I will refer to "misrepresentation" as constituting any false representation, fraud, or knowingly concealing material circumstances.

Obviously, there will be risks involved traveling to somewhere your safety could be in danger.

If your concern is specifically about the risk that your status as a Canadian citizen could be subject to revocation, just the fact of traveling to the home country after becoming a Canadian citizen would NOT be sufficient grounds to revoke citizenship, and standing alone would not be sufficient proof of misrepresentation in the process of obtaining status in Canada to constitute grounds for revoking the grant of citizenship.

@armoured pointed out the essential distinction: revocation of citizenship requires proof of misrepresentation made in the process of obtaining Canadian citizenship (which includes any misrepresentations made in any of the stages of obtaining status in Canada, including in making the claim for refugee or protected person status). Travel to the home country does not prove that claims about the dangers faced in the home country were false, were a misrepresentation. (This is true even if the trip was prior to becoming a Canadian citizen.)

But sure, such travel might trigger questions. As discussed in multiple threads here, it is rather common for new citizens who were formerly refugees to encounter increased questioning and scrutiny at the Port-of-Entry when they return to Canada from abroad, and especially so if they were visiting their home country. Sometimes the elevated screening is security related (related to conditions in the home country, including those leading to the refugee's flight to begin with). Sometimes it is probing whether there is cause to suspect there was misrepresentation in the claim seeking refugee protection.

The threshold for finding misrepresentation (thus constituting grounds for revoking citizenship) is far, far more stringent than the threshold for what might trigger questioning a former refugee about the possibility there was misrepresentations made in the process. Does not take much to trigger questions. But, after all, if the answer to any questions about potential misrepresentations made in the process of becoming a refugee, then citizen, is there was no misrepresentation, there are no grounds for revoking citizenship.

Generally a former refugee who did not engage in any misrepresentation, and who has obtained Canadian citizenship, should not worry much about questions related to whether there were any misrepresentations made during the process of becoming a refugee, PR, and eventually a citizen. In particular, if there were no misrepresentations made, there should be very little concern. But overall the crux of the matter is whether there are facts or circumstances which tend to show that misrepresentations were made in the process.

Without bothering to put my cursor on such cases, I know of at least some in which a former refugee claimed a need for protection based on home country persecution of those engaging in same-sex relationships and then later was involved in a spousal or common-law relationship with someone of the opposite sex. Fact of a heterosexual relationship later is not direct proof the earlier claim based on being a homosexual (and the dangers that caused) was false, but no rocket science necessary to map the trajectory of where these cases tend to land.

Leading to . . .

. . . because my immigration lawyer said there would be risks in doing this is making me a bit paranoid.
I presume that your lawyer knows the particular facts and circumstances of your case in some detail. Far more than what has been shared here. Far more than what should be shared in a forum like this. And I presume the lawyer is at least acquainted with both the law and to some extent with how Canadian authorities apply the law in practice. There are lots of reasons for deferring to your lawyer to provide YOU information and advice based on YOUR particular situation.

That said, cautioning a client about "risks" can be in reference to more general risks, or it can be in reference to particular issues especially applicable to the client's specific situation. There is a big range between what might be merely a heads-up, "be aware that you might be questioned" if you travel to your home country, versus advice to not go there because it might result in an action by the Minister to revoke your citizenship based on misrepresentation.

I generally defer to Canadian immigration lawyers in regards to such matters, notwithstanding how much, for nearly a half century now, I have engaged in wrestling with and oft times challenging arguments advanced by lawyers (the latter is elsewhere and not about Canadian immigration law or its enforcement).

Leading to . . .

*And anyone who's a lawyer might infer that I'm saying they're not normal people. I'm okay with them making that inference.
hmmm. Duly noted.

That said . . .

No, my understanding is that just going back to country of origin does not constitute any of these. Of course, if they can demonstrate that one of these is the case, they might pursue - but this would require separate evidence. (And again my undrestanding is direct evidence of false representation, fraud, etc., and not just the inference from the actions. )
@armoured is on the right track, in that to revoke citizenship for misrepresentation there must be sufficient proof that the naturalized citizen made material misrepresentations of fact at some stage, any stage in the process, from becoming a refugee to becoming a citizen. This is about what was done in the process of obtaining status in Canada and becoming a citizen, not about what a former refugee does after becoming a citizen.

However, at the risk of revealing I am not normal (but to be clear, I am not a Canadian lawyer, and not an immigration professional or expert), I can definitively state that inferences based on circumstantial evidence (in contrast to direct evidence) can constitute sufficient proof of misrepresentation. And later acts can be circumstantial evidence supporting inferences as to earlier facts. (If police find the murder weapon in your car even years after the crime, your possession of the weapon is not direct evidence you committed the murder years ago but it is circumstantial evidence which can support an inference of guilt, particularly if that evidence is corroborated by other evidence of guilt; meanwhile, it is sure to at least raise questions and suspicion.)

What evidence will suffice to establish (to prove) a misrepresentation (such as a false claim of fear based on a threat of persecution for same-sex activity) is not materially different from what proof is necessary to terminate a claim for refugee status, or to vacate refugee status after it has been obtained. There are many, many cases in which refugee claims are denied, thus terminated, for misrepresentation. And more than a few cases in which someone with refugee status has had that status vacated for misrepresentation. While it may be difficult to find specific examples of citizenship revocation for misrepresentation as to what constituted the danger supporting the claim for protected status, the law and principles involved in its application, including matters about the burden of proof and weight of the evidence, are largely the same (despite the appearance of a more onerous approach in practice when revoking citizenship is at stake).

I will not try to second-guess why your lawyer has cautioned you about the risk of a misrepresentation allegation arising from travel to your home country. As a matter of professional standards of practice, lawyers are obligated to caution their clients about potential risks, and most tend to lean in the direction of being risk-adverse in the advice they give.

If you make the trip to the home country, I can say that there is a very substantial risk you will be questioned about the trip in more depth, and potentially more aggressively if not accusatorily, than other Canadians returning to Canada from that country but who are not former refugees. How that should influence your decision-making, as to whether to go or not, I cannot guess, not even close.

Some Additional Distinctions:

@armoured also referenced the cessation of protected person status which can be triggered by a refugee's travel to the home country. This has no relevance once a person becomes a Canadian citizen. Nonetheless, I will offer some further observations related to this . . . to be continued . . .

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
For refugees, including refugees with PR status in Canada, travel to the home country poses more than a risk of losing status in Canada. Such travel creates a PRESUMPTION of reavailment of home country protection, and reavailment is grounds for cessation of protected person status. If there is a final determination of cessation of refugee status, that decision automatically terminates PR status, leaving the individual with no status to remain in Canada.

So note: this part of Canadian law 'automatically' terminates the PR status of a protected person. It does not act upon or affect citizenship. (I've put automatic in quotes here because it's not exactly automatic, not in the sense normal people mean, but a lawyerly use of the word.)*
I do not know or understand the distinction @armoured is making here in regards to what "automatic" means or does not mean, but in "this part of Canadian law" a final determination of cessation of protected person status means the individual no longer has PR status; no further action or decision-making involved. In terms of how the law operates, becoming a Canadian citizen likewise automatically terminates PR status, in that upon becoming a Canadian citizen an individual is no longer a PR (automatic loss of PR for cessation is prescribed by IRPA section 46(1)(c.1), and for becoming a citizen it is section 46(1)(a), respectively).

So the fact that a refugee's travel to the home country evokes the presumption of reavailment, which is grounds for cessation, means any such travel poses a very serious risk of losing PR status. As @armoured noted, this subject is addressed at length in another topic.

However, as @armoured also noted, cessation has NO EFFECT on the status of a Canadian citizen.

Actually, becoming a Canadian citizen is also grounds for cessation of refugee status (Section 108(1)(c) IRPA), but again that would have no effect on the person's status as a Canadian citizen, so there is no reason for the Canadian government to pursue a formal determination of cessation of refugee status.

All of which is to say that since you have become a Canadian citizen, there is no risk that your status could be affected by cessation proceedings arising from travel to the home country.

Port-of-Entry Questions Upon Return to Canada From Home Country:

Hard to say whether some PoE border officials are sometimes confused about the difference between those Canadians who came to Canada as a refugee and who are still PRs, versus those who have become Canadian citizens, and because of this confusion such border officials might thus closely question the latter (citizens who were formerly a refugee) as well those who are still a PR, in regards to home country travel. Some anecdotal reporting has suggested this happens. Worst case scenario for the former refugee, who now has Canadian citizenship, is simply the inconvenience of the additional questioning, since the very worst that can happen is the border official makes a referral for a cessation investigation which will be closed as soon as it is opened, given the person's Canadian citizenship.

As I referenced earlier, the more likely reasons for increased screening of a former refugee, now Canadian citizen, arriving at the PoE following a trip to the home country, derive from either security concerns or questions probing possible misrepresentation in the process of obtaining status in Canada. The extent of this risk depends on the particular facts and circumstances, the traveler's immigration history and previous representations of fact.

A former refugee now citizen who has not engaged in anything that would cause security concerns should have no reason to worry about questions regarding security issues.

Likewise, a former refugee now citizen who made no misrepresentations in the course of becoming a refugee, PR, and then citizen, should have no reason to worry about questions about their trip to the home country.

For Reference:

There appears to have been no shortage of unfounded, even outright fraudulent claims for refugee status. It is likely that the majority (probably the vast majority) of unfounded claims are caught before there is a decision to allow the claim for refugee protection.

If, however, the government becomes aware that a decision allowing a claim for refugee protection was obtained as a result of directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter, the RPD may vacate the decision upon application by the Minister. While the practical effect of this is the same as cessation, in that it is a determination taking away refugee status (the terms employed in the applicable statute refer to an application to "vacate" refugee status, which if allowed results in the conferral of refugee protection being "nullified"), they are distinct procedures based on distinct grounds. If this determination happens to a refugee with PR status, this too automatically terminates that person's PR status. Section 109 IRPA governs the application to vacate for misrepresentation, and Section 46(1)(d) IRPA prescribes that a person loses PR status on a final determination to vacate refugee protection.

The big difference is that acts which might result in cessation of refugee status will have NO effect on someone who has become a citizen. Whereas information that leads IRCC or CBSA to investigate misrepresentations made in the process of becoming a refugee can lead to proceedings to revoke citizenship.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I do not know or understand the distinction @armoured is making here in regards to what "automatic" means or does not mean, but in "this part of Canadian law" a final determination of cessation of protected person status means the individual no longer has PR status; no further action or decision-making involved.
My comment about the extent to which 'automatic' applies refers to the process behind stripping (cessation) of protected person status itself as not being automatic, there is an investigation and determination which must be made (and which is subject to some forms of appeal). This process is not automatic - although yes, cessation of PP status means loss of PR status (if held).

Or more simply put, for the individual the 'step' of cessation of protected person and PR status is (perceived as) simultaneous or a single thing. What might understandably raise concern is whether 'availing oneself of home country protection' automatically means loss of PR/PP status. (Short form response: it very much can lead to that, but it's not automatic).

Decapitation and death may be distinct in some medical or biological sense, but for most non-specialists the 'step' between them misses the point.