+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ex-Employer denied me a reference letter.

Brain_Drain

Jun 16, 2019
Hi,

One of my ex-employer was a govt organisation (India) in which I was employed on a contractual basis. When I requested them a reference letter, they denied it. They sent me a letter (on their letterhead, signed by HR) stating that they cannot disclose the nature of the work due to it's sensitive nature. (It was related to defense).

I was in a small team where everyone is refusing to sign my reference letter personally.

What are my options now? I have are their offer letter, reliving letter, their denial letter, bank statement proving the salary transactions. I don't have anything that justifies my roles and responsibilities.

Thanks in advance.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Does the offer letter have details of the roles and responsibilities you will perform? If, yes, you can provide that as a substitute for roles and responsibilities.

Also, you can try to come up with a reference letter, where you diplomatically state your roles and responsibilities, without going into much depth, and check with your employer if that is acceptable to them.

Brain_Drain

Jun 16, 2019
Does the offer letter have details of the roles and responsibilities you will perform? If, yes, you can provide that as a substitute for roles and responsibilities.

Also, you can try to come up with a reference letter, where you diplomatically state your roles and responsibilities, without going into much depth, and check with your employer if that is acceptable to them.
No , offer letter does not have roles and responsibilities in it. Also I trimmed down the roles and responsibilities to a minimal version (3 single line sentences), still they refused it.

Last edited:

deeps1987

Jun 2, 2018
I think their denial letter itself is a supporting letter. You need to explain your situation and self declare your roles and responsibilities and provide these supporting letter.

JamesRodriguez

Mar 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
January 2020
VISA ISSUED...
January 2020
LANDED..........
February 2020
No , offer letter does not have roles and responsibilities in it. Also I trimmed down the roles and responsibilities to a minimal version (3 single line sentences), still they refused it.
I don’t know exactly in which department you have worked ,but you can attach the webpages and highlight the duties you were carrying out and explain the same in
LOE

Use this site for checking out duties - check this heading
“WORKS DIRECTORATE” for each department duties
https://mod.gov.in/dod/mes

Brain_Drain

Jun 16, 2019
I think their denial letter itself is a supporting letter. You need to explain your situation and self declare your roles and responsibilities and provide these supporting letter.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I have read on this forum somewhere that self declarations are rejected straightaway (CIC does not accept them). Is it true ?

Brain_Drain

Jun 16, 2019
I don’t know exactly in which department you have worked ,but you can attach the webpages and highlight the duties you were carrying out and explain the same in
LOE

Use this site for checking out duties - check this heading
“WORKS DIRECTORATE” for each department duties
https://mod.gov.in/dod/mes
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I have found some articles and websites that can provide a hint of my roles and responsibilities. I will try including them in my LOE.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Hey, thanks for your reply. I have read on this forum somewhere that self declarations are rejected straightaway (CIC does not accept them). Is it true ?
Yes, self attested declarations are rejected. However, they may consider in your case if you are able to explain it in your LOE properly that your employer is unwilling to give you a reference letter due to nature of job involved.

If it is possible, you can try contacting senior officials at MOD or Home Ministry, if they could help you with a reference letter.